Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium ER AWD Infinite Blue/Light Space Grey
Occupation
Logistics Manager
Country flag
So a significant edit. My wife and I placed a reservation for our car, dubbed “Blue Banshee,” in November 2019 when Ford announced it. Premium AWD ER. We converted our reservation to an order as soon as Ford opened the order books. We took delivery of our car the day it arrived at our dealership.

First year, in a secondary role, we put only 4,500 miles on the car. We loved it. Early into year 2, I got the dreaded “Stop Safely Now” error and the car stranded me. Hard luck issues followed, including my car’s not accepting updates. All told, our car spent about 7 weeks in the shop (body damage by the tow truck driver, and getting the roadside assistance service provider to pay for that damage added to this time in shop). I grew increasingly frustrated. As a consumer, I felt powerless and used this forum to cup my hands together and shout my frustration into the cosmos, expecting no improvement.

Ultimately, Ford was listening. Ford called me, contacted me through this forum, and escalated my case so that one of their engineers could identify the issue in my car and promptly fix it (once s/he got to look at it). Bottom line, I get that this is a big product rollout and big shift to EV from ICE for a legacy automaker, and dumb luck—I got a troublesome build/computer. Ford did right by me. I was frustrated, yes, and I thank all of you for your words of support and wisdom, but both the dealership and Ford itself went to great lengths to get this fixed, even as I lost faith and struggled with it a bit. I’m going to be optimistic and hopeful that significant problems can now move to my rear view mirror. On the drive home today from the dealership, I realized how much I love this car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
You’re going to get some blowback from enthusiast and those that want to stand for the vehicle. I’ve experienced almost everything you say and it’s all true. A $60,000 car should never strand you and no repairs should take more than a week. I have two more on order but I am planning on canceling one and getting a hybrid maverick pick up on order in August when those books open and waiting for my next EV a little longer. I know I can sell the MachE so I’m going to take delivery if they could build it and give it a couple months if it gives me any grief ….it’s sold

Jes sayin. Anyone check out that the VinFast Vietnamese EV’s. I dropped a deposit down for one of those to check it out as well all refundable

Here’s the link

https://vinfastauto.us/

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I was a big-time cheerleader for the Mustang Mach-E. My wife and I placed a reservation the day the vehicle was announced in November 2019, we converted that reservation to an order as soon as the order books opened, and we finally took delivery on 4/3/21. We loved the car and there was literally nothing we didn’t like about it.
Fast forward a little over a year, and my view of the car and the ownership experience has turned 180 degrees. I’m not sure I want to keep the car, to be perfectly honest. In the first year of ownership, the car served as our secondary vehicle and we both worked from home, so only amassed about 4,000 miles on it in the first year. In year 2, having returned somewhat to the office and with soaring gasoline prices, we started to drive it more. In late April, I got the dreaded “Stop Safely Now” error, and the car stranded me. I used Ford Roadside Assistance to tow my car to the dealership. The tow truck driver damaged my car, busting up the front splitter as he tried to force my car up a too-steep ramp with insufficient ground clearance. The dealership fixed that. I was mostly reimbursed but—to date—I’m still out $600+ on a $3400+ repair bill. While the dealership had the car, they dropped the battery to replace some high-voltage part and a computer to resolve the “Stop Safely Now” fault. They also resolved 3 recalls. During this time, they completed significant software updates. They told me the car was fixed, and we picked it up after nearly a month in the shop. Two days with the car, we realized lane-centering wasn’t working and Blue Cruise had not been installed when it should have been. We took the car right back to the dealership. It’s now into week 3 in the shop, and it doesn’t sound like anyone knows how to fix my car.
This is officially, by far, the worst ownership experience I’ve ever had. I’ve never had a new car give me even slight problems in under 45,000 miles. This car is our first EV and our most expensive auto purchase ever. I’m not sure how Ford is going to win EV converts if this is how things go. A $61,000 new car with less than 5,000 miles on it should never strand you. A new car in the shop under warranty should not take weeks—a month or more—to fix. Now that all Mach Es have been recalled for this fault, I’m sure a not insignificant number of these cars will not process the updates properly, like mine. I cannot recommend this car to anyone, anymore, and that really disappoints me.
sorry to hear i would be frustrated too. these are extraordinary circumstances though. first build with new tech, global shortages for parts. we are really beta testing this car for ford.

re vinfast, if you're having issues with ford service think what getting service at a first time car maker with no support network would be like

Last edited:

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Once you get it back (soon!) drive it before making a decision.
After the HVBJB they did some downloads, and it wasn't right.
They said they would get back to me. Two weeks later they did, had the car a few days and worked with Ford Engineers to get it right. And it is, and it is better.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Anyone check out that the VinFast Vietnamese EV’s. I dropped a deposit down for one of those to check it out as well all refundable

Here’s the link

https://vinfastauto.us/
Wish them the best of luck, but a Vietnamese EV startup selling a car that you buy part of and lease part of (battery subscription service)? I'll let others be the guinea pig. :)

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I understand your point of view completely. I also reserved the car the night of reveal, cancelled the tesla order I had previously placed and waited for the big day. Since then it's been one issue after another (we also lost lane centering after a dealer update- blame squarely on the dealer for that one) but oddly enough I still love the car and have some hope that the new HVBJB will fix the major issue- giving the other problems the rest of the year to be resolved before taking any drastic action. In your case, if the lane centering loss is the only issue I'd wait it out for an OTA update to restore BC & lane centering since the dealer is unable to correct it. That is what we were doing until the HVBJB failure happened.

For me the car has been good enough to withstand the frustrations, but that will only hold out for the rest of the year probably.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I love the price argument, realistically price means nothing in terms of reliability. Especially When you’re talking EVs, the premium you pay is just the battery.
Personally my best experience with various dealers has been at the time of purchase, service has always disappointed. More times then not they’ve damaged my vehicles. If you want loner service and butt kissing you’re going to have to go luxury brand instead. VW always gave me loaners but that’s offset by them breaking my windshield, shifter, and center console (all different times 😂).
At 11k miles my biggest annoyance is a hatch that doesn’t fully unlatch all the time and a missing kick panel under the glove box. It’s just not worth the hassle of dealing with the dealership and since there’s no service to be done I’ll probably never have it fixed.Maybe a recall will be worth getting it looked at lol.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I was a big-time cheerleader for the Mustang Mach-E. My wife and I placed a reservation the day the vehicle was announced in November 2019, we converted that reservation to an order as soon as the order books opened, and we finally took delivery on 4/3/21. We loved the car and there was literally nothing we didn’t like about it.
Fast forward a little over a year, and my view of the car and the ownership experience has turned 180 degrees. I’m not sure I want to keep the car, to be perfectly honest. In the first year of ownership, the car served as our secondary vehicle and we both worked from home, so only amassed about 4,000 miles on it in the first year. In year 2, having returned somewhat to the office and with soaring gasoline prices, we started to drive it more. In late April, I got the dreaded “Stop Safely Now” error, and the car stranded me. I used Ford Roadside Assistance to tow my car to the dealership. The tow truck driver damaged my car, busting up the front splitter as he tried to force my car up a too-steep ramp with insufficient ground clearance. The dealership fixed that. I was mostly reimbursed but—to date—I’m still out $600+ on a $3400+ repair bill. While the dealership had the car, they dropped the battery to replace some high-voltage part and a computer to resolve the “Stop Safely Now” fault. They also resolved 3 recalls. During this time, they completed significant software updates. They told me the car was fixed, and we picked it up after nearly a month in the shop. Two days with the car, we realized lane-centering wasn’t working and Blue Cruise had not been installed when it should have been. We took the car right back to the dealership. It’s now into week 3 in the shop, and it doesn’t sound like anyone knows how to fix my car.
This is officially, by far, the worst ownership experience I’ve ever had. I’ve never had a new car give me even slight problems in under 45,000 miles. This car is our first EV and our most expensive auto purchase ever. I’m not sure how Ford is going to win EV converts if this is how things go. A $61,000 new car with less than 5,000 miles on it should never strand you. A new car in the shop under warranty should not take weeks—a month or more—to fix. Now that all Mach Es have been recalled for this fault, I’m sure a not insignificant number of these cars will not process the updates properly, like mine. I cannot recommend this car to anyone, anymore, and that really disappoints me.
I share and understand your frustrations. My first experience with a plug in vehicle was one of Ford's PHEVs. That interested me enough that I went out and got a Focus Electric BEV. Drove that car almost completely trouble free for 50k miles that I became excited for the next step up to a Mach-E. Mechanically, the MME has been great for me but it also has been a horrible ownership experience due to the sloppy software updates. I still get a lot of interested strangers who ask about the car. Early on I would gush about the vehicle. Now I tell a different story. When people ask how I like the Mach-E, I tell them it is a fantastic car that is let down by poor software.

Not quite the same experience as you but the result is the same. We both have some reasonable expectations that Ford was unable to meet. If you decide to get another car, you can still give EVs a chance. There are some good choices out there now that weren't available just a year and a half ago so that is good news. 👍

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
In the early days of this forum, it was all about Tesla had great power train, batteries, and tech, but Ford would have great build quality, like panel gaps and roofs that don't come off (oh wait 😉). An overwhelming majority on here were way happier to have great Ford build quality than refined battery and power electronics. Seems this is what people voted for with their $70,000. Go back and read folks posts from 24 months ago for some entertainment.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Yeah, new electric car models like this one are mostly for early adopters and gadget lovers. Reliability is not their strong suit. EV owners should be prepared for problems like this, though it does sound like you have had more than your fair share.

My Mustang has mostly been fine, and I really like the car, but I fully expect mechanical and software problems. If you want cool and fun, this is the car for you. If you want reliable, trouble-free transportation, I recommend Toyota.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I love the price argument, realistically price means nothing in terms of reliability. Especially When you’re talking EVs, the premium you pay is just the battery.
Personally my best experience with various dealers has been at the time of purchase, service has always disappointed. More times then not they’ve damaged my vehicles. If you want loner service and butt kissing you’re going to have to go luxury brand instead. VW always gave me loaners but that’s offset by them breaking my windshield, shifter, and center console (all different times 😂).
At 11k miles my biggest annoyance is a hatch that doesn’t fully unlatch all the time and a missing kick panel under the glove box. It’s just not worth the hassle of dealing with the dealership and since there’s no service to be done I’ll probably never have it fixed.Maybe a recall will be worth getting it looked at lol.
I thought I was the only one who had that kick panel under the glovebox missing. My dealer ordered a replacement and installed it for me. I am wondering what else have been missing from my car.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I thought I was the only one who had that kick panel under the glovebox missing. My dealer ordered a replacement and installed it for me. I am wondering what else have been missing from my car.
When I saw it was missing I had to stop and make sure I didn’t accidentally get into a Tesla 😂. It did make my dash cam install slightly easier though lol.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Wish them the best of luck, but a Vietnamese EV startup selling a car that you buy part of and lease part of (battery subscription service)? I'll let others be the guinea pig. :)
Yeah certainly some unknown issues trying it. They may be backing down on the battery rental thing and really considering the problems with my two MachE’s both being contact voltage battery related I might prefer to have them own it.

Jes saying obviously caveat emptor but if I think I can sell it I’ll probably buy it and try it
I’m headed to San Diego on the 7/14th to see them open their new dealership and they’re going to feed me and let me drive one. Win 🏆 win

billytuffnuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Country flag

Sell the car, move on with your life
Sponsored