Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford explorer
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Hey guys I'm in Vancouver Canada and it looks like the select model is super basic. It is the only one that qualifies for a rebate in BC as its below $55,000. It doesn't even have a pano roof or heated seats. This is standard in the Tesla model 3. Also for the same price the model Y will have all of that included as well. Why not go for a Tesla they are far more advanced. What do you guys think? I get it to each there own etc but whats the real Skippy here?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I guess I don't place as much value on the glass roof or heated seats as you do. Of course, I'm in an area with much higher temperatures... That said, I think all BEVs should include heated seats (including the rear seats) since this offers a more energy efficient way to keep passengers comfortable vs. heating the whole cabin.

On the plus side, the Select includes quite a few things that I was pleasantly surprised to see included on the lowest trim level of a Ford: AEB w/ pedestrian detection, BSM, LKA and lane centering, auto high beams, reverse sensing w/ auto-braking, ACC w/ start-stop, TSR, navigation, LED tail lights and projector headlamps, wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay along with wireless charging, USB type C, fast charging (come on, seriously Bolt?!), and the faux leather interior.

Some of these things aren't available on any Tesla vehicle. Likewise, there are probably some Tesla features aren't on any Ford... Just have to decide what's important to you and at what cost/value.

OP
OP

Johnnyd

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford explorer
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Does it even have a runroof or nothing? I hope they add at least heated seats to the final version that should be standard in 2020.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I guess I don't place as much value on the glass roof or heated seats as you do. Of course, I'm in an area with much higher temperatures... That said, I think all BEVs should include heated seats (including the rear seats) since this offers a more energy efficient way to keep passengers comfortable vs. heating the whole cabin.

On the plus side, the Select includes quite a few things that I was pleasantly surprised to see included on the lowest trim level of a Ford: AEB w/ pedestrian detection, BSM, LKA and lane centering, auto high beams, reverse sensing w/ auto-braking, ACC w/ start-stop, TSR, navigation, LED tail lights and projector headlamps, wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay along with wireless charging, USB type C, fast charging (come on, seriously Bolt?!), and the faux leather interior.

Some of these things aren't available on any Tesla vehicle. Likewise, there are probably some Tesla features aren't on any Ford... Just have to decide what's important to you and at what cost/value.
Along with heated seats: All EV's should include a heated steering wheel.

Keep in mind that when you order the select some of those items will be options.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you don't feel it has as many "goodies" that you want as the 3, then you should probably get the tesla. In my case, I don't really want the pano roof because I think it will make the interior really hot in the summer and I already have a convertible for those times when I want to take a scenic drive and look up. As for heated seats, yes that would be really nice in the winter. Ford had to take something away to justify the lower price, and I'd rather lose the heated seats instead of the handsfree lane centering, auto braking, or cross traffic alert when backing up. I use Waze religiously so the android auto will be extremely useful. In your case as a canadian the pano roof probably won't be an issue in summer, and the heated seats would surely come in handy - so I can see why you'd like to have them.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Keep in mind that when you order the select some of those items will be options.
Nope. The current specs show a "-" for heated seats and pano roof, showing them as unavailable. You can optionally get the memory seats, which I want to get since it takes me a while to get the seat "just right" and valets always seem to move it.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Nope. The current specs show a "-" for heated seats and pano roof, showing them as unavailable. You can optionally get the memory seats, which I want to get since it takes me a while to get the seat "just right" and valets always seem to move it.
Good morning all, I believe, at least at this time, the select has some option packages, an "appearance" and "comfort" package......driving a plug in c max since 2013 here in nj, the heated seats are a MUST in winter, I hardly ever use any heat but the seats......when I went in to see the salesman I complained to him that no heated seats would be a big mistake for Ford....he told me it was an option package and he showed me on his computer.......I don't have the info here in front of me so please forgive me if I make a mistake, the appearance pkg comes with the black roof trim and the painted wheels, it comes as part of the comfort pkg which contains among other options, heated seats and steering wheel, memory driver seat......I can't recall any others right now......for me the select fits the bill.......I have the c max for long trips, the good and bad of living in north jersey is everything is within 5-8 miles, and low speed driving.......I could probably drive for several weeks with a 200 mile battery.....I currently charge my c max using a 120 line, no problem, full charge takes less the 5 hours even thought Ford says 7 hours......I will probably put in a 240 line if we get the mach e.......I don't need the 0-60 speed that so many seem to need.......to me driving an EV is like when I rode my Harley, it;s about cruising, haha.......also NJ has the new law about $5000 in incentives but car must be under $55000.......we all have different needs and wants of course.......I would suggest a call to your salesperson and see what pkgs they might have on their computer......take care

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Good morning all, I believe, at least at this time, the select has some option packages, an "appearance" and "comfort" package......driving a plug in c max since 2013 here in nj, the heated seats are a MUST in winter, I hardly ever use any heat but the seats......when I went in to see the salesman I complained to him that no heated seats would be a big mistake for Ford....he told me it was an option package and he showed me on his computer.......I don't have the info here in front of me so please forgive me if I make a mistake, the appearance pkg comes with the black roof trim and the painted wheels, it comes as part of the comfort pkg which contains among other options, heated seats and steering wheel, memory driver seat......I can't recall any others right now......for me the select fits the bill.......I have the c max for long trips, the good and bad of living in north jersey is everything is within 5-8 miles, and low speed driving.......I could probably drive for several weeks with a 200 mile battery.....I currently charge my c max using a 120 line, no problem, full charge takes less the 5 hours even thought Ford says 7 hours......I will probably put in a 240 line if we get the mach e.......I don't need the 0-60 speed that so many seem to need.......to me driving an EV is like when I rode my Harley, it;s about cruising, haha.......also NJ has the new law about $5000 in incentives but car must be under $55000.......we all have different needs and wants of course.......I would suggest a call to your salesperson and see what pkgs they might have on their computer......take care
I just remembered 2 more options in the Select Comfort pkg, rear cargo cover and no hands liftgate

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It ultimately comes down to price. The more they throw into the base package, the higher the price is gonna be. That $43,895 base price would need to be $46k or something if they threw those things in, which could price out some buyers at the margin that would love to get the vehicle at the lower price.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Along with heated seats: All EV's should include a heated steering wheel.
In theory, I can see why heated seats could be a bigger deal in a BEV than they are in other vehicles (since the power drain can be so higher to use cabin heating).

But I'm also a bit incredulous when I hear about people driving around in the cold without cabin heat to avoid range anxiety. No way I'm forking over $55k for a fancy new vehicle (nearly twice what I've ever paid for a vehicle before) and feeling afraid to turn on the climate control. Last vehicle I owned where I couldn't use full climate control was in the 1970's when I was a teenager and couldn't afford the A/C option. Those days are LONG past for me.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In theory, I can see why heated seats could be a bigger deal in a BEV than they are in other vehicles (since the power drain can be so higher to use cabin heating).

But I'm also a bit incredulous when I hear about people driving around in the cold without cabin heat to avoid range anxiety. No way I'm forking over $55k for a fancy new vehicle (nearly twice what I've ever paid for a vehicle before) and feeling afraid to turn on the climate control. Last vehicle I owned where I couldn't use full climate control was in the 1970's when I was a teenager and couldn't afford the A/C option. Those days are LONG past for me.
to each his/her own.....at this age, I intend to be comfortable in whatever I do, haha........in my c max, I use heat if I need it (as I said usually the heated seats do just fine), and I use AC or defroster whenever needed.......however, with the c max I usually switch to ICE when defrosting or cabin heating, saves on the battery.....but comfort is the main requirement

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Well first of all: You don't have to drive around without cabin heat, but having heated seats (and steering wheel) will allow you to run with the cabin heat set at a lower temp thus squeezing out any extra miles--if you want to (especially on that 800 mile trip ;) ). Usually the steering wheel and seats heat up faster than the HVAC anyway.

2nd: 99% of the time you read about someone driving with the heat completely off is on the first gen EVs with <100 miles of range (Leaf, Focus Electric, 500e, etc. note that none of these vehicles cost $55k either). To be able to get anywhere in one of these in winter you almost always had to drive with the heater off (and the windows cracked to prevent fogging). Search my blog for "winter driving" and you'll find lots of posts describing the various ways to get that last mile--on really cold winter days (<0F) I would frequently arrive home from my daily commute (40 miles round trip) with less than 10 miles of range left in the FFE. This was after preconditioning the car to 80F in the morning while plugged in so that I could make it to work with that retained heat...

In the Bolt: I use the HVAC like I do in any other car: set it to a temp and forget it. Summer/winter/etc. doesn't matter the Bolt's cabin is always comfy. Does the heater use up some range? Sure (in winter I get about 150 miles, in summer 250) but it doesn't matter--I still have >100 miles left when I get home after my commute.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh I like heated seats too. :cool:

But it doesn't keep me from setting the temp controls at the same temp I would without heated seats. The heated seats just help make it more comfortable for the first few minutes since the car takes longer to heat up than the seats. My butt is only a small% of my body. I want the rest to be comfortable too.

I'm confident the Mach-e will be more like your Bolt experience (i.e. set it and forget it). It better be, or esle it and other new BEVs will have a really hard time moving out of niche and into mainstream territory.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Johnnyd

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford explorer
Occupation
Business
Country flag
If there are options for the heated seats and roof etc does it still have to be priced under $55,000 or is it just the bass msrp has to be under $55,000 and you can add whatever?

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
THis discussion make me wonder if they will throw it all in standard but only active on the higher versions but might be an aftermarket purchase item to activate via a software update. They might had to do this to keep the cost of vehicle low for the rebates for other countries like Canada.
Sponsored