David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Commercial Photographer
Country flag
It took me some searching to find how to set the upper limit for charge %.
I set it to Ford recommended 90% for at home charging.
However, when plugged into charger overnight it indicates that battery is 100% charged.
Does this mean 90% setting isn't working?
Or, does it mean that car is charged to 100% of 90%?
I would prefer that the charge % indicator on the display shows actual charge in battery.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
If you set it to 90% and it followed that setting then you would see 90% on the display when you start the car. Somehow the charge setting didn't take.

SONEWBE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you set it to 90% and it followed that setting then you would see 90% on the display when you start the car. Somehow the charge setting didn't take.
I found that you have to set a charge time window or the charge level won't be implemented. I set my charge window to mid-day to mid-day to allow charging at anytime.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
However, when plugged into charger overnight it indicates that battery is 100% charged.
I would prefer that the charge % indicator on the display shows actual charge in battery.
According to the owners manual you have to set a saved charge location to be able to use timed charging. That's the way I read it anyway.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
This is a really strange way, in my current VW you can set a charge level and time it will start charging so it is ready at your time for instance 7 in the morning (including conditioning the cabin)

There is a secundairy setting which is minimum charge level...so when you come home in the afternoon it starts charging immediatly to that level and top of in the morning...

I never look at this settings ever again. Only if I plan a long trip I set it to charge to 100%?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Make sure you have the location saved, then go into charging preferences for that location and set the max charge. Then make sure you find the save button, which isn’t always easy to find.

OP
OP

DMWARD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Commercial Photographer
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.
I have a location set, the charger at the house.
I'm not sure I have a preferred time set, since It seems most reasonable to plug it in when the car's in the garage.

I'll have to spend some time making sure everything is set and saved.

With colder weather we had been plugging the car in every night. The result was always at 100% with usage of less than 10% during an average day.

Now that it's warmer we're not plugging it in every time we get home. Letting the charge go down to about 30% then plugging it in overnight to see how the charging performs.

The indicator in the car, as well as in the Ford app shows 90% set for charging upper limit.
I configured that right after getting the car in February. But charge always showed higher %.

OP
OP

DMWARD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Commercial Photographer
Country flag
Just went out to car and went through the procedure to make sure that 90% is set as upper limit for normal charging at home.

Thanks for the tips and insights into how the system has to be setup.

One thing I found interesting is the display showing how long it will take to charge the battery from current state to the set upper limit. Given the time it showed from the 40% where car is at the moment, it must be using the 110V rate. It was almost 23 hours.

We have a Charge Point unit installed with 60AMP circuit. I expect that the time to charge will be about 10 hours.

Would be nice to be able to set the upper limit charge without having to go through the whole scheduling process.

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm seeing the same. In my case I set to 80% and when charged I see 100% charged on my FordPass app on my phone. In reality for me 100% charged is 80%. For you it would be 90%.

OP
OP

DMWARD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Commercial Photographer
Country flag
I'm seeing the same. In my case I set to 80% and when charged I see 100% charged on my FordPass app on my phone. In reality for me 100% charged is 80%. For you it would be 90%.
We've been seeing 100% and that's what I was wondering about.
Now that I'm confident that I have the car set to 90% limit for charging with 240V home charger I'll have to wait till I charge to see what happens.
We're purposely getting the charge down to about 30% before plugging in to see how long it takes.
Normal use per day is so low that keeping the car plugged into the charger when in the garage is probably not in best interest of battery health. :)

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I found that when selecting “charge when plugged in” under my saved locations, it ignored the set charge level and charged to 100%. You should select “Use preferred charge settings” instead under your “home“ location, then set the level and either set a time period or select “Anytime.” Then touch “Save” after scrolling to the bottom of that last page. It should work then.

OP
OP

DMWARD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Commercial Photographer
Country flag
I found that when selecting “charge when plugged in” under my saved locations, it ignored the set charge level and charged to 100%. You should select “Use preferred charge settings” instead under your “home“ location, then set the level and either set a time period or select “Anytime.” Then touch “Save” after scrolling to the bottom of that last page. It should work then.
I just checked and I now have it set to "Use preferred charge settings".

I hope Ford is monitoring these threads.

Having the upper limit charge % embedded in the charge settings this way is a poor choice.
It should be a separate line item in the charge settings menu. Then we can set it to 90% for normal charging and quickly change it to 100% for DC charging. or 50% when on an extended vacation.
That will be especially useful for those of us in cold climates where it's advisable to have the car plugged into the charger to help keep the battery warm, even when it's not going to be driven for an extended period.
Sponsored