SM 49810 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Do you notice your IPC buzz?

• Total voters

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It's not just a monitor though. Think of it as more of an AIO computer.
Interesting, I wonder what tasks then are delegated to the chip in the driver display. Maybe it figures out what it is supposed to display instead of getting that information from wherever the main install of Sync 4 is located?
Sponsored

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
But this is still a pretty big update: Ford is replacing my IPC with a next gen unit. I believe the screen buzz was at least one factor in Ford sourcing the next gen unit, and that Ford wouldn't be doing this if they didn’t think they’d fixed it. So I am feeling pretty confident that this is gonna fix the issue.
Exciting!

Because this is a next gen screen, it actually requires new software.
I have no car software knowledge. But I guess it goes like this: New hardware -> requires new driver/firmware. That new driver/firmware is bundled with the rest of car software. So the whole thing needs to be updated to latest.

The tech tells me that he thinks this new software may include some other changes - but I’d take that worth a pound of salt.
The car probably has the latest software now (since it's all bundled, as I speculated earlier). Of course there are some other changes. But likely just small tweaks and bug fixes. I wouldn't expect anything material.

Last edited:

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
The buzz is definitely coil whine. Not making excuses for Ford, but I've had many computer components and electronic gadgets having varying degrees of coil whine. Some people are more sensitive to this type of sound that others. I'm very sensitive. Years ago I bought this digital camera. I heard this thing ringing in my ears whenever I used the view finder and it bugged the hell out of me. I knew the engineers from the company that makes the camera and showed it to them. Out of 6 guys, only 2 of them was able to hear it.

And yes I can hear my car buzz when it's quiet, such as when starting the car in the garage.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The buzz is definitely coil whine. Not making excuses for Ford, but I've had many computer components and electronic gadgets having varying degrees of coil whine. Some people are more sensitive to this type of sound that others. I'm very sensitive. Years ago I bought this digital camera. I heard this thing ringing in my ears whenever I used the view finder and it bugged the hell out of me. I knew the engineers from the company that makes the camera and showed it to them. Out of 6 guys, only 2 of them was able to hear it.

And yes I can hear my car buzz when it's quiet, such as when starting the car in the garage.
Correct. But hopefully no longer in this next gen screen. I can’t wait to get my car back today!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, I wonder what tasks then are delegated to the chip in the driver display. Maybe it figures out what it is supposed to display instead of getting that information from wherever the main install of Sync 4 is located?
Yeah I don’t know. Seems like a weird design to actually make the IPC its own computer. Makes it more expensive, for starters, and another fail point. Maybe because it “houses the instruments” Ford wanted it to be independent. But more likely I really doubt the IPC is anything more than a monitor.

Reactions: ARK

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No idea. Maybe I’ll get lucky and my odometer will get reset.

I did ask today whether the new screen has any sort of new number that would distinguish it from the first run - tech wasn’t sure but said he’d look into it.
Update: You really aren’t going to believe this. The replacement did reset my odometer. It now reads 0.5mi. And they’re keeping it another day to try to figure out how to fix that. The odo data is evidently stored in the IPC. So it is not just a dumb monitor.

Also, the new screen does have a different “engineering number” which they’re going to provide me with. So back to waiting….

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Update: You really aren’t going to believe this. The replacement did reset my odometer. It now reads 0.5mi. And they’re keeping it another day to try to figure out how to fix that. The odo data is evidently stored in the IPC. So it is not just a dumb monitor.

Also, the new screen does have a different “engineering number” which they’re going to provide me with. So back to waiting….
Quick, to CarMax! See if there is an orphaned GT coming into town!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick, to CarMax! See if there is an orphaned GT coming into town!
I seriously considered responding "nah, I'll take my car back now, please." But I don't think they can give it back to me without fixing the odo. So now I'm getting nervous about whether I get to keep this new and supposedly quiet screen. But surely there has to be a way to replace the screen! What would they normally do if a screen breaks?

• Haha

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
In total, how long it took them to replace the IPC+Update software (ignoring the odometer)

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In total, how long it took them to replace the IPC+Update software (ignoring the odometer)
Hard to say without being in the shop. I don’t think they started the screen replacement until sometime around mid-morning yesterday. And I was told early this afternoon that they got the software updates but having to odo issue. And they haven’t put the panels back together until they get it figured out.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
What's the current mileage readout in your FordPass app?

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I had mine replaced, odometer reset and they left it, but I only have like 800 miles or something anyways, so wasn't a big deal. It seems to be a "next gen" screen as the graphics are different but not by much. Buzzing is still there.
Pics of different graphics please.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I had mine replaced, odometer reset and they left it, but I only have like 800 miles or something anyways, so wasn't a big deal. It seems to be a "next gen" screen as the graphics are different but not by much. Buzzing is still there.
When was this done?

If anyone reading this has a GT (or sees this in the next few weeks with their new GT), would appreciate a video of the driver display like has been shared on this thread. GTs are clearly more recent builds and I would think they incorporate a new screen, if a new version has been sourced.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

Need more info here - Definitely pics of graphics/etc.

Does Fordpass still show your mileage + the 800 miles? I don't see how they could do that...

You say buzzing is still there, but is it any better or worse? When did you have the screen replaced?
Sponsored