So, President Biden is here at the Rouge right now…

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
Okay, this is my response to both you and Fat Mach. This will be my last post regarding this subject/thread, as quite frankly- I'm over it:

I said “typically,” that’s not nearly the same as “all.”
Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:
But seriously, you did make a statement earlier that you believed that people 'who own a BEV and don't have the ability to charge at home' don't exist. Then, you made a snide remark that my buddy and I are the 'only two'. So keep that in mind.

No need to list a bunch of exceptions to my statement, I already know.
But do you? Because like I just said, you stated earlier that you don't believe that people who own a BEV and don't have the ability to charge at home exist. And I'm telling you- there are MANY of us. I also think it's naive for you and Fat Mach to believe that most single, younger, older, and divorced people are poor. And since when do people who live in cities mostly have low incomes? Have you seen the cost of rent in LA or NYC? Jobs in those two towns often pay very well BTW.

Finding charging options for low income individuals in apartments who want to own BEVs is a problem to solve.
I completely agree! And like I said, it's a bigger problem to solve in some parts of the country vs. others. For example, in Los Angeles, where a starter home costs a million bucks, many people rent. But they also still drive EVs, because they no longer want an ICE vehicle. So charging stations at apartment complexes would be incredibly beneficial. If they had those, they wouldn't need fast chargers at Walmart or movie theaters (which I know you are against). But without home chargers, they will absolutely need the public stations that Biden is proposing to provide.

What purpose does you pointing out people that might not be low income individuals in apartments serve? And like someone else mentioned.....a lot of that list are the exact people I was talking about.
This question was partially answered in my statement above but I'll add to it:
Because those people who live in apartments that might not be low income individuals might also want to buy electric vehicles, or in many cases (see above) own them already, and they will need to find other ways to charge (such as Walmart public stations) if they can't charge at home. And remember- you don't believe that these people exist!

You seem to live in this same world of absolutes that the OP lives in.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I know several friends that drive close to 200 miles to a major airport. If someone were to drop them off/pick them up, they would likely need a charge to make it back home.
Right. That’s a use case I get. The one I don’t get is what I described previously - I’m headed to visit Mickey and pals for the week. Presumably, I’m not going to block a charger for a week, right?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I meant the ones in the airport garage. I guess you’d call it “medium term” parking? Parking at PHL is pretty messed up because it’s run by the PPA (the efficiency of a Soviet bureaucracy with the laser-like customer-focus of the cable company).

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
As a street parker, I love the free on-airport charging in the short term parking at SFO, and try to be as close to empty as I can when I get there ?. My last visit it was charging at 3kw/hour, so it's definitely slow.

As mentioned by someone above, it's great for people driving a long way to the airport, who may not have enough charge to get all the way back home. Thinking about my cousin in Mendocino where it's 175 miles each way.

By definition, it's "short term" parking and it's expensive, like $36 a day, so you might get some people parking for up to a week, but I'd bet the majority are looking at less than 3 days. Considering it took my car about 25 hours to go from 10ish% to full, hopefully there's not too much idle time going on.
That does not sound very cost effective. You wait until your car battery is almost flat, then drive to a garage where parking costs $36/day so you can charge your car on a slow “free” charger?
I’ve been to San Francisco several times (well, not San Francisco precisely, other than the airport, just the suburbs, like Sunnyvale and San Jose). Don’t any of those office complex parking lots or shopping center parking lots have chargers? I know the traffic isn’t very good to get there, but my experience is that the traffic isn’t very good anywhere in California (save a couple of small stretches in the desert).

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
That does not sound very cost effective. You wait until your car battery is almost flat, then drive to a garage where parking costs $36/day so you can charge your car on a slow “free” charger?
I’ve been to San Francisco several times (well, not San Francisco precisely, other than the airport, just the suburbs, like Sunnyvale and San Jose). Don’t any of those office complex parking lots or shopping center parking lots have chargers? I know the traffic isn’t very good to get there, but my experience is that the traffic isn’t very good anywhere in California (save a couple of small stretches in the desert).
I should probably have clarified that my company pays for my parking when I travel for business ?

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Not sure the correlation you're going for, but my previous car was a Fusion Energi, so I guess yes lol.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Getting back to the Lightning...faster than most Mach-Es and Mustangs! Any guesses on the tow rating?

" Asked if he would buy one of the vehicles, Biden said he would, and that he thinks he went 0-60 miles per hour in about 4.4 seconds -- information it appears he wasn't supposed to share. A Ford representative told reporters at the course that the information about the vehicle's speed wasn't supposed to be public until the truck's official reveal tomorrow, but said it was OK and laughed. "
Specs are available. 10,000 towing, 2,000 payload.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I should probably have clarified that my company pays for my parking when I travel for business ?
Oh! Makes a big difference. I thought that was your ONLY charging solution and it was out of pocket.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Oh! Makes a big difference. I thought that was your ONLY charging solution and it was out of pocket.
Sir, this is an Internet forum. We do not allow this type of common sense waffling. Pick a position and stick irrationally to it no matter what. ???

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Specs are available. 10,000 towing, 2,000 payload.
My ICE Land Rover's highway range drops by half when towing a trailer so I am already used to planning for fuel stops...so I am not being so negative about the range, yet. Maybe Ford should have added a towing option to the NA Mach-E so they could start collecting data for the F-150 ;) .
Sponsored