David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Having a long discussion with my wife (mainly from her) as she is (or was) interested in the Mach E. That interest is on hold until she determines that she would get a Tesla-like experience during ownership. I have a 3 Performance and she currently has a RR Sport/diesel. Which she loves. Because her dealer is great. Last Ford dealer I could stand was when I drove a '66 GT 350 Shelby as a kid. Some dealerships are already talking about gouging buyers on the Mach E to the tune of $15k. On hold.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Having a long discussion with my wife (mainly from her) as she is (or was) interested in the Mach E. That interest is on hold until she determines that she would get a Tesla-like experience during ownership. I have a 3 Performance and she currently has a RR Sport/diesel. Which she loves. Because her dealer is great. Last Ford dealer I could stand was when I drove a '66 GT 350 Shelby as a kid. Some dealerships are already talking about gouging buyers on the Mach E to the tune of $15k. On hold.
Yes but there is a list on the forum of dealers agreeing to charge no ADM and honoring X-plan discounts. Reward them with business.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
That's up to my wife. Personally people promising not to rip me off isn't a great sign.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Some dealerships are already talking about gouging buyers on the Mach E to the tune of $15k. On hold.
I think that was 1 dealer early on in the start of the order process that was clueless about it.

He didn’t realize the reservation holders hold the winning hand in this process --- I doubt he placed a single order. That story sure did get a lot of publicity though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think that was 1 dealer early on in the start of the order process that was clueless about it.

He didn’t realize the reservation holders hold the winning hand in this process --- I doubt he placed a single order. That story sure did get a lot of publicity though.
It would have been even better if the original poster had named the dealer.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

It would have been even better if the original poster had named the dealer.
A skeptic like me wonders if that original story was actually true, or intentional disinformation from someone with an agenda. That's the problem with relying on bloggers and aggregators: there's no actual fact checking at all.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
A skeptic like me wonders if that original story was actually true, or intentional disinformation from someone with an agenda. That's the problem with relying on bloggers and aggregators: there's no actual fact checking at all.
Tim - I don't doubt there originally was a dealer(s) trying to charge more because they didn't understand the process either; HOWEVER, in dealing with a few dealers since then, they were all NOT charging ADM. The only price issues I came across were whether they would accept Plan pricing or not.
There are definitely a lot of people out there with agendas, one way or the other.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
My wife and I's decision for choosing the MME over the Tesla MY and Volvo XC40 Recharge:

Looks: The Tesla look has become stale and we don't think it will change anytime soon (any significant change means a higher Cd?). I was happy when I learned my wife was disregarding Tesla in favor of Volvo (Volvo!). The MME look is exciting for now and Ford offers just enough customizations that we will feel unique with our choices. Looks are important enough to us that we also eliminated the Jaguar I-Pace and Audi E-tron, even with the large discounts being offered. Those two cars look weird and bland to both of us.

Performance: In this regard the MY came back into play even though we thought it wouldn't be on our final list. We test drove the MY Performance and my wife really enjoyed the neck-snapping acceleration. But we assume that type of acceleration will be common with all electric cars. Even the Volvo XC 40 Recharge offers 0-60 in the 4s.

Interior: We were not impressed with the minimalist MY interior but really like the Volvo interior and plush seats. We like the looks of the MME interior so far. I also don't think Tesla will be changing their interior anytime soon, I imagine adding the amenities that are common in a premium car (we are spoiled by our Land Rover) would hurt their efficiency.

Range: After thinking it through, all we need is 200+ miles since we will keep our ICE vehicle for long trips. We are the type that fill up when we drop below half a tank so clearly we are already living with a 150-200 mile fill-up range. Additionally, charging at home means 12+ hours to get to 200 miles of range, so we doubt we will would ever make use of an EV with 300+ miles as a daily driver. This rationale made us feel safe with either the XC40 Recharge or MME.

Dealer network: Maybe we haven't bought enough cars, but we haven't had a bad experience with a dealer purchase. Yes, we have had bad experiences with dealers while shopping but in those cases we have simply walked away and found an honest one we felt comfortable with. The dealer I selected for our MME is actually 40 miles away even though there are a handful of dealers nearby since we have had good experiences with that dealer from prior purchases (non-Ford though). I hope the MME is as reliable as my previous Ford truck (400k+ miles) and Mazdas (100k+ miles each) but if there are issues we feel better knowing we can deal with someone we know. Side note: It's inevitable for Tesla to use a dealer model once demand settles down closer to supply, no?....Another side note: None of the 5-6 dealers I called in the Seattle Area had a mark up.

...and if you are wondering why we chose the MME over the Volvo: The cargo space in the rear and in the frunk, and the squat look of the XC40 rear.

Last edited:

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
That's like 1/10000 dearlers? I think the ADM is less common in this instance then reality

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Apple Carplay is so nice in the Ford, don't miss the Tesla interface for a minute. Just wish it would work over Bluetooth :D
[/QUOTE]

FYI: Apple CarPlay in the Mach-E will be wireless.
Sponsored