JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Select C/T Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Drove as a passenger today. My wife uses the white background on the main screen, while I use the black, so maybe I am just not used to seeing the screen. I was flabbergasted at the absolute mess of a UI with the white background.

There is someone (I assume) at Ford whose job it is to give the OK for a software release. Someone took a look at this mess, and was like "yup, ship it!".

How in the world is this possible?
  • The light grey text on the white background makes the text hardly readable. My wife said she thought everything was "disabled", since typically in software a greyed-out icon is not available.
  • The three buttons on the top with the grey background, and the CarPlay icon with white. Why don't they match?
  • The black Sirius background with white everywhere else - why wouldn't this match?

Is this new with 4.2.5, or has it always looked this bad since the 4.2 updates? Yikes...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Somebody OK'd this? IMG_8461
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Drove as a passenger today. My wife uses the white background on the main screen, while I use the black, so maybe I am just not used to seeing the screen. I was flabbergasted at the absolute mess of a UI with the white background.

There is someone (I assume) at Ford whose job it is to give the OK for a software release. Someone took a look at this mess, and was like "yup, ship it!".

How in the world is this possible?
  • The light grey text on the white background makes the text hardly readable. My wife said she thought everything was "disabled", since typically in software a greyed-out icon is not available.
  • The three buttons on the top with the grey background, and the CarPlay icon with white. Why don't they match?
  • The black Sirius background with white everywhere else - why wouldn't this match?

Is this new with 4.2.5, or has it always looked this bad since the 4.2 updates? Yikes...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Somebody OK'd this? IMG_8461
I have my display mode on Auto and this is what I see during the day, I've never had an issue with it. It's much better than other infotainment designs I've used and is now better than the day I got the car.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I agree with you. I have a laundry list of blunders in the UI and there's been many posts about it on this forum. I have no idea why Ford would release it like this myself. Other's try to defend it and say "it's a step in the right direction".

I talked about a lot of these issues here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/i’m-just-going-to-say-it-the-4-1-2-interface-is-ugly.26047/post-600622

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Yes. To everything you said, yes. The new UI is a mess. The icons are horrible, and inconsistent. The color scheme for those buttons a the top breaks all UI rules. Yet this was an "upgrade" in their eyes. 🤢🤮

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
This is the problem with over the air updates/downdates or whatever you want to call them. Software gets pushed out knowing it can be finalized later, if ever.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
There was probably a year long argument on the UI layout, and a top executive won the debate.
Who's decision made everyone on all sides of the argument mad. ;)

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
To be fair it’s always had this kind of ugliness to it and it’s pretty glaring to those who have the setting on Auto (like me). It’s like going back to the early days of Windows and comparing the UI with the same generation Mac OS in the ‘80s. Hurts the eyes and the mind. 😱🐩

Xweb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium eAWD
Country flag
Ford can pay someone $150 to design better options to choose from. How they landed on this mess is beyond me. Perhaps it has something to do with the underpowered processor they use so they can't make it "pretty" without suffering more stuttering.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
I think what we have now is still better than the original design. It could use a good look at by some seasoned UI designers. I designed Network data structures in a past life and you should never have to go more than 2 clicks to get to a setting/location.

'Looks' are subjective. Some of the suggestions I've seen by members on this board are horrific. Some are OK.

Looks aside, access should be very straight forward.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
looks good to me, rarely use it so I normally set it to calm screen or keep it in dark mode.
Having dealt with computers for over 50 years (started in arpanet in 75')I have learned to accept what is given, at least until someone does it better.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
How many years is that? ;)
Started with several "homebuilt" computers in the early 70's from instructions in "Popular Electronics" which led to an Altair 8800 in 75' but that was really a dud until late 75' when the TRS80 was released and my father and I built it from a kit at the time. I learned Pascal and "C" from reading books from the NYU library when one of the library staff asked if i would like to use their computer to find more information.
I was a high school student with an unstoppable desire to learn and I ended up spending Saturday mornings at NYU's library searching for more information, so yes I can safely say I have dealt with them for over 50 years.

Tony
Sponsored