James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered 8-25-21: 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E CalRt1
Occupation
Risk Management/Insurance
Country flag
Driving for 16 years in south Florida (mostly urban streets) I get 2-4 punctures a year. Mostly roofing nails and drywall screws. In about half of the cases the leak is slow enough to stop by Costco for repair (if repairable). I keep a small Makita air compressor in the car to add air as needed. I also keep a tire patch kit in the car (plugs, plug tool, glue, pliers to remove foreign object, wirecutter to trim plug) when whatever caused the puncture is gone and the leak is too fast (about 50% of the aforementioned punctures). When my Mustang arrives I'll continue on this path, but also purchase a spare tire kit to keep in the trunk on longer (rural) road trips, when experiencing a blowout or other malady my patch kit cannot handle. I've changed flat tires on the side of California freeways in wind-driven rain, so ready for most anything.
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Driving for 16 years in south Florida (mostly urban streets) I get 2-4 punctures a year. Mostly roofing nails and drywall screws. In about half of the cases the leak is slow enough to stop by Costco for repair (if repairable). I keep a small Makita air compressor in the car to add air as needed. I also keep a tire patch kit in the car (plugs, plug tool, glue, wirecutter to trim plug) when whatever caused the puncture is gone and the leak is too fast (about 50% of the aforementioned punctures). When my Mustang arrives I'll continue on this path, but also purchase a spare tire kit to keep in the trunk on longer (rural) road trips, when experiencing a blowout or other malady my patch kit cannot handle. I've changed flat tires on the side of California freeways in wind-driven rain, so ready for most anything.
Time to get run flats , they can be patched now if in the right spot and at least you can keep going.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I’ve sliced a couple tires before and missing work to go to get towed to the dealership and waiting for them to open just to get a tire doesn’t sound very exciting. So I can definitely understand wanting a spare tire.
I’ve used my spare tire on my other car at least half a dozen times in 10 or so years.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
So, last week, I was in NYC, I live in NJ, for a meeting. After leaving the parking lot, I was heading to Long Island for another meeting, I was feeling a rhymic thumping on my right front tire. I stopped and looked twice and could not see anything. After I went though the midtown tunnel, I felt something leave the tire, bounce under the car and immediately, got the warning on the tire pressure on the screen. So, I am now on the LIE with a flat. I used the inflator that came with the car to no effect. I think it was a sidewall puncture. Contacted Ford, got a call from the towing company, all good. Except, they are not authorized to tow from the highway, so I had to call NYCs help line, 311, who was not helpful. They switched me to 911 where I had to explain that there was no emergency, I was not in danger, etc. I was told they would send the police to determine what needed to be done. While this was going on, I was contacting the closes Ford dealer, who was not terribly helpful, tire not available for 3 days. Called my dealer for help but he determined the 3 days was right. No police. I checked with Tire Rack, and they had the tire in stock. Well, almost. Shipping the folllowing day. I found a tire shop near by where they could keep my car for a day or two, and ordered the tire to be delivered there. It got there in two days. So, not having a spare really is not great. No police ever showed up so I had to drive around ÂĽ mile, not terrible, to get to a point where the ford tow could legally pick me up. I think all ford dealers should have one or two of these tires on hand because the cars have no spare. From flat to getting home that day via subway and train,, was 8 hours. A long day. Of course, I had to reverse the trip to go from NJ to Long Island to pick the car up.

I have to say, that it really takes the shine out of the desire to travel longer distances with the car. I really don’t want to be stuck somewhere in the middle of no where for two or three days during a trip because I have a flat tire.

End of story.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, last week, I was in NYC, I live in NJ, for a meeting. After leaving the parking lot, I was heading to Long Island for another meeting, I was feeling a rhymic thumping on my right front tire. I stopped and looked twice and could not see anything. After I went though the midtown tunnel, I felt something leave the tire, bounce under the car and immediately, got the warning on the tire pressure on the screen. So, I am now on the LIE with a flat. I used the inflator that came with the car to no effect. I think it was a sidewall puncture. Contacted Ford, got a call from the towing company, all good. Except, they are not authorized to tow from the highway, so I had to call NYCs help line, 311, who was not helpful. They switched me to 911 where I had to explain that there was no emergency, I was not in danger, etc. I was told they would send the police to determine what needed to be done. While this was going on, I was contacting the closes Ford dealer, who was not terribly helpful, tire not available for 3 days. Called my dealer for help but he determined the 3 days was right. No police. I checked with Tire Rack, and they had the tire in stock. Well, almost. Shipping the folllowing day. I found a tire shop near by where they could keep my car for a day or two, and ordered the tire to be delivered there. It got there in two days. So, not having a spare really is not great. No police ever showed up so I had to drive around ÂĽ mile, not terrible, to get to a point where the ford tow could legally pick me up. I think all ford dealers should have one or two of these tires on hand because the cars have no spare. From flat to getting home that day via subway and train,, was 8 hours. A long day. Of course, I had to reverse the trip to go from NJ to Long Island to pick the car up.

I have to say, that it really takes the shine out of the desire to travel longer distances with the car. I really don’t want to be stuck somewhere in the middle of no where for two or three days during a trip because I have a flat tire.

End of story.
terrible to be stuck like that And potentially very dangerous.

As much as I hated them years ago when BMW went all run flats, I love them now. Much better than they used to be. Really the way to go for all cars without a spare.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just to be clear, you used the sealer, correct? No just air?

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag

End of story.
2015 I was doing a project at Honeywell in Mellville, NY - Long Island. My Avis had a flat, so I called Avis and they said they would send out a flatbed with a replacement car. About 4 that day I still have the keys to the rental with the flat and Avis calls to say they picked up the rental and dropped off a new car. I go to the parking lot and my rental with the flat is still there. They took somebody else's car!

So, I go to security to let them know and the security guy runs out of his office to the parking lot and comes back in 2 minutes and lets me know his car is still there. I still have a rental with a flat, no keys to whatever they left and someone is missing a car. About 6:30 that night another Avis crew shows up in 2 cars and calls my cell. Now, they get the key to the rental with a flat, give me the keys to the new car and I watch in amazement while one of the Avis guys is driving the car with the flat off the parking lot back to JFK! Still no return of the car they stole.

Must have been an interesting night on the LIE trying to get that car back to the airport.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
terrible to be stuck like that And potentially very dangerous.

As much as I hated them years ago when BMW went all run flats, I love them now. Much better than they used to be. Really the way to go for all cars without a spare.
i wonder if there are run flats in this size.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Having roadside assistance come with the car is peace of mind. Then you read the horror stories of tow truck drivers hooking up to the wrong points and ruining the battery...

I guess if you have a blowout/completely flat tire you could still drive the car up onto the flatbed?
Am I correct in saying that you cannot tow a Mach-E? It always has to go on a car hauler/flatbed correct?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, and no. It cannot be towed with the front wheels off the ground, or just the rear wheels off the ground, i.e. a normal tow truck.

If you don't have access to a vehicle transport tow truck, it can be flat towed with all wheels on the ground, if you follow the Emergency Tow instructions in the manual.

Yes, a vehicle can be driven / pulled onto a flat bed tow truck with a blown out tire. Had that done several years back when my wife blew out the rear at 70mph in a pothole.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Knock on wood no flats with our cars in years... I've got a nail or two but fortunately no loss in pressure and with a simple fix we were good to go.

Off-road is a entirely different thing... Many times there is no cell service so you are on your own! And if you think 1 spare adds weight... try TWO 35" tires along with a jack and other gear!!!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Spare tire info IMG_2820

I'm lucky to get 14MPG on the highway. In the dirt I average 8-9MPG!!!

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The car comes with free roadside assistance including towing for 5 years. Vehicle includes compressor that will inject sealing foam. Too many don't read the manual and then read the kit.

Our 2018 Fusion Energi had no spare either. Wife had a rear blowout when she hit a pothole at 70mph. Ford towed her to dealer, new rim and tire. They matched Discount Tire on tire without our asking. Rim was list price, they took off 5%. Wouldn't do their internet price because I wasn't in town to order it, buy it, and then install it.

By the way, hitting a pothole and blowing out is a coverable collision event. "Collision with road". Deductible applies, and you may lose a claim-free discount. We already had that lost, so we only lost 1 more year on the 3 year lost discount. Made a claim to the state, and they ended up paying the deductible (they require you make a claim). ~$925 for rim and tire. Cost to us was 1 year lost discount, i.e. ~$50.

Main issue with Mach-E was that this tire wasn't available for retail sale until recently.

Weight of tire and rim would be closer to 60 pounds. Yes, weight matters. My father in-law used to drive around with the kitchen sink loaded in the trunk of his Mercury Marquis. Got like 12mpg.

And this "trend" is many years old.
Hitting a pothole is a road hazard even and is not covered by tire warranties. I just had one. Tire rack is the only place that has a road hazard warranty but only for 2 years. Also, the roadside assistance from Ford has a limit towing range of 35 miles.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hitting a pothole is a road hazard even and is not covered by tire warranties. I just had one. Tire rack is the only place that has a road hazard warranty but only for 2 years. Also, the roadside assistance from Ford has a limit towing range of 35 miles.
As I noted, pothole was covered by car insurance. Discount Tire also has warranties.

Also, you should read the terms of the warranty. If you run out of charge, they'll tow you to the nearest public charger, your home, or a Ford EV-certified dealer within 35 miles. If you're more than 35 miles from home, they'll tow you to the nearest public charger or Ford EV-certified dealer.

For the tire, it's to the nearest Ford dealership. If that's 200 miles away, it's 200 miles away.

Last edited:

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. I wonder if they considered ride flat tires for the mach-e? 2. I see there are ride flats that look like they would fit these wheels. In fact, they are really the same price more or less as replacing the tires with the factory stock tires. I have never had them before, so if cost is not an issue, what are the downsides, if any to having run flats?
Sponsored