- First Name
- Jun 24, 2020
- Reaction score
- First Name
For the record, these aren’t dumb questions at all.I have a few dumb questions that I haven't seen elsewhere (mostly because other threads are for intelligent questions). I swear in real life I'm an intelligent adult, but need to hear others confirm what I'm thinking for me to gain the confidence:
1. Do EV's need to "warm up" like an ICE? I'm in Chicago, so it's frequently 20-30 degrees F in the winter, but maybe 40 degrees in my garage. If I'm plugged in for the night, can I have the car preset to begin warming up at a certain time so it's ready, even though I'm still plugged in charging? My guess is the car can be on but, only being an ICE owner, you obviously shouldn't start your car while fueling.
2. Similarly, if you're out shopping (think, gone for an hour or two), should you plan to have the car begin warming back up so you don't have to sit in the parking lot for a few minutes?
3. I told my wife we can start the EV even while our garage doors are closed because there are no emissions. She said it isn't worth the risk of dying. Is there a good way of explaining this concept to her? Maybe a YouTube link or some other method? It sounds so dumb, but when you've been trained to do something your whole life, it's difficult to change. However i don't want to have to run to the garage if my car is preset to warm up at a certain time.
4. I'm getting a dedicated line from my circuit breaker and my electrician has told me I need to decide where in the garage i want this to be. Does anyone have suggestions for where I should put this? I back into my garage and I think I'll park on the left of a two car port, since I believe the plug is on the front left of the car. Just put it on the wall right there? Should I put it high up so people can walk under it or low so it's easy to step over? Should I put it on the 10 foot feeling and just have it dangle down?
5. Is there any logic to NOT plugging your car in every time you are home? I'm thinking of articles about phone batteries where you are better off letting a phone run to low vs topping off 1-2% after a short trip.
Thanks to anybody who invests time in answering my questions and feel free to post your own questions. Just make sure they are dumb! No intelligent questions please.