J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Hi All, Long time Ford and Mustang owner here and in the process of researching first EV. I'll preface with this is primarily for the Mrs and will be used around town as a grocery getter. The past 3 months we have been test driving crossover/SUV EVs. I'm all set up for level 2 charging at home where the vehicle will be stored and charged. Hoping for a short term lease over buying.

Mach E was our first test drive and we also tested Model Y, Polstar 2, Volvo XC40 Recharge, VW ID.4. Any other recommendations to test drive? I'm about to start configuring online and do some more feature/financial comparisons for our top 3; Mach-E, Polstar 2 and XC40.

Just wondering if there are any other recommendations of things to look at from at existing Mach-E owners. Positives, negatives and anything inbetween...
Sponsored

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
Hi All, Long time Ford and Mustang owner here and in the process of researching first EV. I'll preface with this is primarily for the Mrs and will be used around town as a grocery getter. The past 3 months we have been test driving crossover/SUV EVs. I'm all set up for level 2 charging at home where the vehicle will be stored and charged. Hoping for a short term lease over buying.

Mach E was our first test drive and we also tested Model Y, Polstar 2, Volvo XC40 Recharge, VW ID.4. Any other recommendations to test drive? I'm about to start configuring online and do some more feature/financial comparisons for our top 3; Mach-E, Polstar 2 and XC40.

Just wondering if there are any other recommendations of things to look at from at existing Mach-E owners. Positives, negatives and anything inbetween...
I drove said vehicles myself, loved the mustang best, and financially, it worked better. 36 month option through Ford, titled to me, so I can enjoy the tax benefit still available. It gets groceries, drives great, quick and a head turner. I have level two charging (juice box) in garage, and it's all I need. Very happy thus far.?

Premium all wheel, extended range battery was my choice.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Talk me into the Mach-E IMG_20210719_160643606_HDR

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
My second choice was the Jaguar iPace, but it is more expensive and has less range. Buy what most fills your need.

ESilver

First Name
Sterling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Titan, Sequioa, Yukon, Rogue
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I also tested your list. Ended up with the MME and no regrets. I liked the ID4 alright but it wasn't fun, zippy, or sexy. MY came in second but no tax rebate, $10k self drive, no dealer for 200 miles and I ended up with MME.

No regrets. Super happy!

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I drove said vehicles myself, loved the mustang best, and financially, it worked better. 36 month option through Ford, titled to me, so I can enjoy the tax benefit still available. It gets groceries, drives great, quick and a head turner. I have level two charging (juice box) in garage, and it's all I need. Very happy thus far.?

Premium all wheel, extended range battery was my choice.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Talk me into the Mach-E IMG_20210719_160643606_HDR
The black with those wheels looks really sharp

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
I came from 100k miles in a Bolt after looking at everything that'd be out in 2021 or early 2022. The lack of cargo space was the main reason I switched (that and the lack of semi-autonomous driving). 2000 miles in and I have no regrets. Here's my take on your picks (and a few extra):

Polestar - it's more expensive and doesn't have cargo space.
ID.4 - slow and I think it's ugly.
MY - visibility sucks in the rear, potential fit/finish issues, no federal credits (more expensive), and everyone has a Tesla now...
XC40 - terrible range and efficiency - not much better than a Prius...
Ioniq - slow and the appearance is an acquired taste.
EV6 - interior is an acquired taste, Kia vs. Mustang...
Ariya - relatively unknown specs and price, base model is slow and I think it looks meh.
Q4 - base is slow and will probably end up being more expensive for the same specs.

Last edited:

Silver Lake

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 , Honda Crosstour, Rapid Red AWD ER 7/15/21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Torn between the ID4 and the MME. Mile and a half driveway in Northern NY, so the ID4 ground clearance was better.
End of the day, the wife liked the MME better, more like a car, less like a SUV. So we’re getting the MME. And I am good with that, scratches the sports car itch.
Liked the look of the Nissan Arriya, but no information on US specs, price and range.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
I cross shopped Id4 and to a lesser extent Bolt EUV.

ID4 is very comparable on space, but the kicker was Ford Options for me. Basically a 3 year date for not much more than a Bolt lease. ID4 was not offering attractive prices for leases.

If you’re looking to buy, that could be different—but I’m real wary of making an ownership commitment to any first-year model EV in this climate of rapidly evolving tech.

plus, Mach E was controversial, talked about, and just damn good looking in person.

And if I don’t like it, I got a great monthly price for 3 years and then can shop for something else, maybe with newer/better tech (not that Mach E is bad in any way).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

If the only use is as a grocery-getter, go with the Select, rear-wheel drive, standard range battery. That is your cheapest option. However, you are likely to love it and want to use it for road trips, then you'll wish you had the Premium and Extended Range battery (AWD optional).

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As someone who was also getting into a BEV for the first time, we liked that the MME is "Ford familiar," and of course the performance and quality of the vehicle were positives. In my opinion, some keys to the BEV experience are having a garage and Level 2 charger, which it sounds like you have covered. Sure, you can do it without those, but you'll reap the benefits of a BEV with very little downside if you have those. Since you're so well prepared, it's just a matter of selecting the BEV that makes you smile the most.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hoping for a short term lease over buying.
Did you get any Charge Station Faults in the car? I have been getting them every time at EA even when charging was successful!
ID4 is very comparable on space, but the kicker was Ford Options for me. Basically a 3 year date for not much more than a Bolt lease. ID4 was not offering attractive prices for leases.
Subjectively neither I nor anyone else can tell what's "best for you".

Objectively, the Ford options is a much better deal than a lease. As mentioned the car is titled in your name, so you get the tax incentive. You also have the option of keeping the car and paying/refinancing the balloon payment, turning it in if you don't like it for no hassle, or trading in any equity you have for another Ford. It's a win-win if there's something you like better and the car held its value, or if it didn't you have the "out" of just walking away.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hi All, newly registered.

In the process of deciding which EV to pursue. Like others have test driven MY and iD4. Thought the MY's ride was too harsh for an SUV and while the iD4 rode very well, was, well...kind of boring.

Anyway, I do plan on test driving the Mach-e soon, but not looking forward to the 'dealer experience.' Also will try the Q4, but it will probably be not cost effective.

The other factor may be a change in the government sponsored incentives to purchase an EV.

My question to current Mach-e owners is how is the ride? While I like a well handling vehicle, for this purchase I prefer something that rides well and doesn't jar you over uneven roads, like here in New England. Also, from all the reviews I have read or viewed, the build quality seems very good..yes?

Thank you.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hi All, newly registered.

In the process of deciding which EV to pursue. Like others have test driven MY and iD4. Thought the MY's ride was too harsh for an SUV and while the iD4 rode very well, was, well...kind of boring.

Anyway, I do plan on test driving the Mach-e soon, but not looking forward to the 'dealer experience.' Also will try the Q4, but it will probably be not cost effective.

The other factor may be a change in the government sponsored incentives to purchase an EV.

My question to current Mach-e owners is how is the ride? While I like a well handling vehicle, for this purchase I prefer something that rides well and doesn't jar you over uneven roads, like here in New England. Also, from all the reviews I have read or viewed, the build quality seems very good..yes?

Thank you.
My wife and I like the ride after reducing my tire psi from 46 (delivered) to 38 (recommended setting). Others have had different experiences. Depends a lot on the roads. Feels solid in turns and on uneven or rough roads to me. It is a Mustang, not a Lincoln.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
For what it's worth, I am planning to get my next vehicle by the summer of 2022, a EV big enough for 4-5 adults that is fun and engaging to drive, but I don't plan to take it to a track or risk my license speeding. I want at least 250 miles of real-world range. I live in NY, so I get the maximum state rebate of $2,000 for cars with an MSRP of no more than $60,000 (it's $500 for more expensive vehicles). My income is enough to take full advantage of the $7,500 tax credit. I already have a Level 2 charger in my driveway, and a PHEV Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan for extended road trips. I plan on keeping my next car only for 3-ish years, given how quickly EV tech is advancing.

Here's my analysis based on what's likely to be available early next year, when I'll be ordering, in the U.S.:

Teslas: Model S is amazing but dated in its design and too expensive. Model X even more expensive and fiddly. Models 3 & Y are uninteresting-looking, questionably made, and too minimalist in the controls. For all Teslas, service and parts can be hard to come by. No Federal tax credit.

VW: id.4 is cheaper, but also slow and poorly packaged (no frunk?). Future models may be better, but aren't yet for sale. Design is meh for me. Not a serious contender.

Polestar 2: I like the style and the performance, but storage is less than I'd want. Right at the top end of my price window, and leasing will lose me the federal tax credit. As with Teslas, the lack of *local* service/support, though (I live *near* New York City and its Polestar location, but that's still a pain for any issues) is a major concern.

Nissan Ariya: Too big and SUV-like for my tastes. Unknown driving experience or pricing. Not for me.

Hyundai Ioniq 5: Love the 800-volt architecture and other features, *hate* the styling. Unknown U.S. pricing, but Hyundai currently builds the federal tax credit amount into its leasing incentives, so I expect that for the Ioniq 5. Would prefer not to be a beta tester for a brand new vehicle in its first year of production (I salute you all who took the MME leap this year!).

Kia EV6: Like the Ioniq 5, the 800-volt architecture and other advances are great. Decent rear storage, but again, barely a frunk. Styling is *okay* for me, but the rear end treatment really turns me off. Pricing and availability, particularly for the GT-line and GT versions, is as yet unknown, but Kia too currently builds the federal tax credit amount into its leasing incentives, so I expect that for the EV6. Would be a beta tester (see Ioniq 5 above). No real-world reviews yet. My second choice after...

Mustang Mach-E GT: Beautiful design and sleeker than some of the competition. Excellent mix of traditional and tech-driven controls. I was planning a Premium AWD ER, but with the GT's MSRP now below that magic $60k and the range being equivalent to the Premium AWD ER, the GT is my top pick. With the problems folks have been having with the pano roof and my family members' dislike of such things anyway, being able to delete the roof while getting the full CoPilot360 suite w/BlueCruise capability (they're packaged together on the GT PE) is a plus for me. Better performance than the Premium but still on all-season tires. Magnaride shocks would be nice, but not worth the other PE tradeoffs for me. Most of all, I like my local Ford dealer and its service dept, with which I have dealt for 10+ years, including for my PHEV C-MAX Energi.

{Jonathan}

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Ah, I didn't realize that you could get a Mach-e without the pano glass. It was not clear (no pun) that it had to be ordered with the PE edition of the GT (not interested in-regular AWD is fast enough).

Regarding Tesla's, There is a Youtube channel by Monro live. He runs a company that does design analysis, QA analysis, DforM, etc, etc. They clearly know what they are doing but are also somewhat Tesla biased. Saying that their tear downs of the Mach e are interesting.
Sponsored