rohs929

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
I bought MME last week and dealership charged me sales tax on few tthings that i declined (paint protection plan and other optional accessories)... close to $500 dollar more in taxes than actual sales tax amount. When i questioned it they said , those numbers were already put in and it is in the "system". They are asking me to write them off in my tax returns? Isn't it illegal to tax me on something i did not buy?

Exected sales tax 8.25% on sale price. But they charged me 8.25% on sales price and accessories worth $5000 which i declined.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I bought MME last week and dealership charged me sales tax on few tthings that i declined (paint protection plan and other optional accessories)... close to $500 dollar more in taxes than actual sales tax amount. When i questioned it they said , those numbers were already put in and it is in the "system". They are asking me to write them off in my tax returns? Isn't it illegal to tax me on something i did not buy?

Exected sales tax 8.25% on sale price. But they charged me 8.25% on sales price and accessories worth $5000 which i declined.
Why did you pay this? I check all my numbers before signing. The dealership can't collect sales tax on items not sold. Tell them to refund the amount, or you'll contact the State of Illinois.

tman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
A) That's cow excrement. A computerized system made that invoice and it can remake that invoice.
B) Highly illegal. They should refund that immediately.
C) I bet a call to your local tax office would get this moving pretty quickly.

OP
OP

rohs929

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why did you pay this? I check all my numbers before signing. The dealership can't collect sales tax on items not sold. Tell them to refund the amount, or you'll contact the State of Illinois.
They provided me the sale agreement and all docs in a usb flash drive. So i had to go home and dig in only to find out that they taxed me on few things that I declined.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They provided me the sale agreement and all docs in a usb flash drive. So i had to go home and dig in only to find out that they taxed me on few things that I declined.
You didn't sign documents on paper?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Lmao I think you know the answer… they are required to refund the excess or surrender it to the state. If they send it to the state you then have to ask the state for a refund.

Sam James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 ID.4, 11 Escape, 22 Lightning (?), 22 MME (?)
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
WTF.

Paper or e-mailed PDF. Why would a flash drive be used? This is an odd dealer, at best.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never sign paperwork without reading every word, and checking every number. I found an error in our house closing paperwork that closing agents, bank, and lawyers missed. I was told by bank that I was wrong, but if I was right they'd make good plus more. I was right, they made good plus more.

Demand the money back now.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

rohs929

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never sign paperwork without reading every word, and checking every number. I found an error in our house closing paperwork that closing agents, bank, and lawyers missed. I was told by bank that I was wrong, but if I was right they'd make good plus more. I was right, they made good plus more.

Demand the money back now.
You are 100% right. In my case, just because I signed paperwork dealer can't bs me with additional tax now. I have an appointment with finance guy next week. Thank you.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
It's illegal to tax you for something you never purchased, even if you sign a contract that doesn't mean that's it, I would ask politely then would explore local authority and file something against them, this is a lawsuit material, if they get audited and they were doing this for sometime, it could be catastrophic for them.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I also received everything via USB instead of paper copies, but did go through and view and sign and initial a bunch of things on big flat monitor embedded in desk.

Definitely sounds suspect. If you have an accountant, ask them. Chances are how legal or not this is depends on the state, especially given it's state tax. If you already signed and taken delivery there might not be much you can do besides get it back on the taxes for the year (which means over a year from now), assuming you itemize.
Sponsored