Temperature Regulated Frunk?

Would You Pay For an Optional Temperature Regulated Frunk?

• Total voters

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
We all remember the pictures of the frunk hosting those drinks and shrimp parties, and those wings parties before the Mustang Mach E came out. Would you pay for an optional temperature regulated frunk? I’m not talking about a freezer or an oven here - I’m just talking about a frunk with temperature regulation to keep things to about refrigerator temperature (35F) or warming oven temp (max about 160F for food safety).
Thoughts?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No. Totally impractical. And a lack of demand for such a feature. At one point, you could get a center console refrigerator.

If you want that type of feature, simply buy a plug in cooler that does both. We have one, and have taken it on the 4,800 miles of Mach-E highway trips we've done. Works great.

Zero reason to insulate the frunk and then provide heating or cooling to the space.

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
No. Totally impractical. And a lack of demand for such a feature. At one point, you could get a center console refrigerator.

If you want that type of feature, simply buy a plug in cooler that does both. We have one, and have taken it on the 4,800 miles of Mach-E highway trips we've done. Works great.

Zero reason to insulate the frunk and then provide heating or cooling to the space.
Agree. Not to mention energy usage. If I ever find the urge to fill the frunk with food a cheap bag of ice would do just fine. I will never store any unpackaged food in there. Gross.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Temperature Regulated Frunk? 1642012134458

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
We all remember the pictures of the frunk hosting those drinks and shrimp parties, and those wings parties before the Mustang Mach E came out. Would you pay for an optional temperature regulated frunk? I’m not talking about a freezer or an oven here - I’m just talking about a frunk with temperature regulation to keep things to about refrigerator temperature (35F) or warming oven temp (max about 160F for food safety).
Thoughts?
Sounds like you need Xzibit to beam in from 2006 to Pimp Your Ride. Maybe add a TV to the underside of the hood as well. In all seriousness, the aftermarket is probably the right vehicle for this kind of modification, and it would still make more sense to put a tiny chest fridge/freezer in the frunk than to use the frunk itself.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Agree. Not to mention energy usage. If I ever find the urge to fill the frunk with food a cheap bag of ice would do just fine. I will never store any unpackaged food in there. Gross.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Temperature Regulated Frunk? 1642012134458
Ok, I agree, that picture is just disgusting ?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Sounds like you need Xzibit to beam in from 2006 to Pimp Your Ride. Maybe add a TV to the underside of the hood as well. In all seriousness, the aftermarket is probably the right vehicle for this kind of modification, and it would still make more sense to put a tiny chest fridge/freezer in the frunk than to use the frunk itself.
And now you understand why I’m NOT an automotive product planner ?? Remember the Simpsons episode where Homer designs a car? ? what even made me think about this was the Great Let’s Put a Heat Pump in the Frunk Debate ™️ ?

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get a kick out of those marketing pictures. I don’t believe Ford asserts that the frunk is made of food grade materials either. Storing cold drinks I could see. Ford branded cooler to fit exactly would be super “cool!”

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Temperature Regulated Frunk? 1642012755986

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
@Jimrpa, I actually like your creative but unrealistic ideas. Definitely an out of the box thinker—but that’s what makes your threads so fun. ?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@Jimrpa, I actually like your creative but unrealistic ideas. Definitely an out of the box thinker—but that’s what makes your threads so fun. ?
Thanks! ?

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Lots of downsides. Adds permanent weight, takes up space, creates additional energy drain to keep the temp regulated. Currently, people can add ice if they want (perk of having the drain plug) or store items in an insulated bag to keep hot/cold.

Maybe an idea that might sell is an insulated, zippered shell that is custom fit to the shape of the frunk. Include some internal velcro-secured dividers that can be added/removed. Think it's a niche product but maybe there's enough of a market.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Lots of downsides. Adds permanent weight, takes up space, creates additional energy drain to keep the temp regulated. Currently, people can add ice if they want (perk of having the drain plug) or store items in an insulated bag to keep hot/cold.

Maybe an idea that might sell is an insulated, zippered shell that is custom fit to the shape of the frunk. Include some internal velcro-secured dividers that can be added/removed. Think it's a niche product but maybe there's enough of a market.
I hate zippered coolers. Put some sort of clasp on the lid and I’ll be all for it. ??
Sponsored