Tesla Drops Prices... Will Ford?

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Great questions. I am trying to understand if lane centering and ACC is part of the initial release or part of the 3Q 2021 release (that may incur additional charges). I asked Ford and dealer - they were not able to answer as the feature statement in the brochure is ambitious.

I hope we will get it as a basic feature, and what Tesla calls FSD will be provided as optional package in 3Q 2021.

As for Tesla blind spot - what they have is a real joke. 100% agree.

I am not an authority on the matter, but I believe the ACC and lane centering is ready from the start. The update in 2021 seems specific to the hands free driving on most highways which will have an extra cost (and requires a prep package if you buy the select trim, not sure about RT1)
Sponsored

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since it was brought up here, what is the Ford version of the blind spot warning? Just a light, light and sound?

I kind of hope for a feature like Honda has where there is an actual camera that shows the video of the blind spot on the center screen when you have the turn signal on.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Great questions. I am trying to understand if lane centering and ACC is part of the initial release or part of the 3Q 2021 release (that may incur additional charges). I asked Ford and dealer - they were not able to answer as the feature statement in the brochure is ambitious.

I hope we will get it as a basic feature, and what Tesla calls FSD will be provided as optional package in 3Q 2021.

As for Tesla blind spot - what they have is a real joke. 100% agree.
Only Hands Free is a future OTA.

ACC and lane centering is part of "Intelligent ACC", under "Ford Co-Pilot 360 Assist 2.0". It's available today on certain Ford vehicles.

See my initial post at https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-es-adaptive-cruise-control-without-hands-free.869/

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Since it was brought up here, what is the Ford version of the blind spot warning? Just a light, light and sound?

I kind of hope for a feature like Honda has where there is an actual camera that shows the video of the blind spot on the center screen when you have the turn signal on.
I don't like the Honda version. I'm not looking to the center screen on my right when moving to the lane on my left. I prefer a light on the mirror (or A-pillar) and sound.

polzovotel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Pilot
Country flag

Both if this system will be used:

BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) can alert you to a vehicle detected alongside and difficult to see in a blind spot.10 The system uses radar sensors on both sides near the rear of the vehicle. When a vehicle is detected in your blind spot, you are alerted with an indicator light in the sideview mirror. The Cross-Traffic Alert feature also uses this radar to help detect traffic behind your vehicle when you’re slowly backing out of a parking spot or driveway.10 When it detects a vehicle approaching from either side, it flashes an indicator light in the sideview mirrors (same as BLIS) and emits an audible warning. Also, a visual display in the message center indicates from which direction the vehicle is coming.
See How It Works

As for HONDA showing actual camera - I have it and while it could "kind of" be used for turning to the right lane, it really annoying when you change to the left line . I personally vote against it as simple led in the mirror is much better IMHO

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't like the Honda version. I'm not looking to the center screen on my right when moving to the lane on my left. I prefer a light on the mirror (or A-pillar) and sound.

BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) can alert you to a vehicle detected alongside and difficult to see in a blind spot.10 The system uses radar sensors on both sides near the rear of the vehicle. When a vehicle is detected in your blind spot, you are alerted with an indicator light in the sideview mirror. The Cross-Traffic Alert feature also uses this radar to help detect traffic behind your vehicle when you’re slowly backing out of a parking spot or driveway.10 When it detects a vehicle approaching from either side, it flashes an indicator light in the sideview mirrors (same as BLIS) and emits an audible warning. Also, a visual display in the message center indicates from which direction the vehicle is coming.
See How It Works

As for HONDA showing actual camera - I have it and while it could "kind of" be used for turning to the right lane, it really annoying when you change to the left line . I personally vote against it as simple led in the mirror is much better IMHO

Thanks for the response. I only have the camera for the right lane/right turns. I imagine it would be weird for left turns. I just drove a Ford focus the other day and realized how trained I am to looking at the console for merging right. Just have to learn a new system.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag

See How It Works

Someone needs to find a close-up picture of the side view mirrors to see if these icons are there. I prefer this system since I'm looking to the left for a left lane change and will be looking at the mirror. The cross traffic is also very useful. This is what I have today.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I think the best is a loudspeaker under the mirror pointed towards the blind spot..."GET OUT OF THE WAY!".

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Exactly. I almost never use the camera at all, even for backing up. When I got one for the first time (2012), I thought it would be great. But turns out the beeps are what I find really useful, because I'm not looking at the camera screen when backing up. I'm looking in mirrors and over my shoulder. The beeps are perfect because I can hear those at the same time, without taking my eyes off their normal views.

Same thing when going forward. Although on our Escapes, it's only the little light on the side-view mirror that comes on for a BLIS warning. Could probably use something a little more noticeable than that.

Raybdc97

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Na
Country flag
There are a few extra plus points I will give to the Y over the mach-e, in that is has heated rear seats, a 40/20/40 split rear seat and you can lower the seats from the boot / trunk. These really should be on the mach-e.

yes, Yes, YES!!!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Honda uses a convex mirror and a standard mirror on the driver’s side to see the blind spot. The camera is under the passenger mirror. It shows, on the center screen, the lane back from the mirror including the blind spot and more. Requires relearning looking to mirror when moving right. I believe the camera only works when using the turn signal or if turned on (and using the center screen) at all times. Most mirror systems work at all times.

Sponsored