mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This is highly under-utilized. I think the biggest barrier to entry on this is the battery packs. Freewire has the right idea, and I think it needs to be executed more. Higher density batteries would help solve this, similar to the range argument.
This is a good point.

Another is the capital cost needed to build out DCFC stations. It is already high, making it difficult to get a return on investment. Adding battery storage adds cost, increasing the ROI time. Is it worth it to the station builder to add batteries if it adds a year to the ROI time?

@dtbaker61 mentioned in a post months ago that he was looking into building battery supplimented DCFC dispensers in areas where it is hard to get large power lines. Maybe he has some insight into the economics?
Sponsored

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
It appears some important people will eventually be rehired as it was what happened before, but would I want to go back if I was in this situation? Likely not.

From Electrek:
Sources familiar with the matter believe that some of the layoffs have nothing to do with hiring inefficiencies or restructuring, but rather with Musk throwing his weight around Tesla.

Two sources told Electrek that Tinucci was fighting back pressure from Musk to fire a bigger percentage of her team, and the CEO decided to let go of the entire team as an example.

Musk wrote in an email to executives on Sunday:

“Hopefully, these actions are making it clear that we need to be absolutely hard-core about headcount and cost reduction. While some on exec staff are taking this seriously, most are not yet doing so.”

The message is clear: fire people as many people as I’m asking, or you and your entire team will be gone.

https://electrek.co/2024/05/01/elon-musk-throwing-weight-tesla-wrecking-ball/
What a horrible individual.

Meanwhile, he's trying to preserve his $45 billion pay compensation package.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This is a good point.

Another is the capital cost needed to build out DCFC stations. It is already high, making it difficult to get a return on investment. Adding battery storage adds cost, increasing the ROI time. Is it worth it to the station builder to add batteries if it adds a year to the ROI time?

@dtbaker61 mentioned in a post months ago that he was looking into building battery supplimented DCFC dispensers in areas where it is hard to get large power lines. Maybe he has some insight into the economics?
DCFC with internal batteries cost more in capital outlay..... BUT

if there isn't 480-v 3-phase power close by, a regular DCFC above 50kw isn't possible.

and, if the local utility has 'demand charges' based on max power requested... the first charge you sell incurs that cost, even if you one sell one charge a month. if you have 4 handles, each capable of 150kw, and ONE TIME during the month all are in use you get billed thousands of dollars. Many utilities do not have special EV charger rates yet, so demand charges can kill a project.

variable rates with Time Of Use are also an issue... more utilities are cranking up time of use rates such that 3p-10p is triple the cost of other times... and that is prime time for when travellers might need DCFC, which shoots the margin for the owner of the charger. It's way better to buffer up several hundred kWhr when cost is low, and sell it when its high; pays for the batteries very quickly.

jpblincoln

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Attila the Hun was known for his ruthless tactics and his willingness to use fear to maintain control over his army. He was known to execute soldiers who disobeyed him or showed weakness, which sent a message to the rest of the army that they needed to follow his orders or face severe consequences.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
What a horrible individual.

Meanwhile, he's trying to preserve his $45 billion pay compensation package.
I was not aware until I looked into it that a shareholder was successful in voiding the 56 billion pay compensation package via the courts. The result is Tesla reincorporating in Texas and Elon putting the compensation package to shareholder vote. If Tesla needs to cut back, then cancelling a ludicrous overspend on CEO compensation would go a long way to save money. It seems like Elon has "captured" the Tesla Board of Directors and I would not be comfortable investing in a company that gave the part-time CEO carte blanche. He is damaging the company. https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/17/elo...-holders-to-reinstate-voided-stock-grant.html

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Email to charging partners - "You may be aware that there has been a recent adjustment within the Supercharging organization, which is presently undergoing a sudden and thorough restructuring..."

Orders are to hold on all new charger projects. And they can't pay their contractors currently.

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is a good point.

I need to follow-up but we are supposed to be getting at least two locations that are NEVI approved that are battery systems. The last time I spoke with the engineer they were good to go for construction this year. One bank of four are to be sited here in Fairbanks and I believe the other site was in Denali National Park. There may be other sites south of the Alaska range but I only know what may be happening with our local utility.

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
I was not aware until I looked into it that a shareholder was successful in voiding the 56 billion pay compensation package via the courts. The result is Tesla reincorporating in Texas and Elon putting the compensation package to shareholder vote. If Tesla needs to cut back, then cancelling a ludicrous overspend on CEO compensation would go a long way to save money. It seems like Elon has "captured" the Tesla Board of Directors and I would not be comfortable investing in a company that gave the part-time CEO carte blanche. He is damaging the company. https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/17/elo...-holders-to-reinstate-voided-stock-grant.html
Elon used to be admired and charismatic. What happened to him?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Battery backed up DCFCs are the way to go. So that they can be charged and ready when a customer comes along and the customer charge quickly. Also, good ones can also provide backup power to the facility (eg strip mall) in the case of a power outage. On the supply side, they can take commercial 3 phase power.

Some reservation system would be handy for some uses, but if the supply is eg 25kw and someone wants to charge 20% to 80% worst case would be a very long lunch charge.
The challenge of course remains volume. If several users hit the charger then it can not charge at the high rate and can no longer provide any back-up power. If sized large enough for both then costs begin to become prohibitive.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
I've worked in private aviation for decades. (IT though)
And since the average jet is probably $20 million(?), our customers are probably the 1% of the 1%.

The animosity for folks that have considerable wealth is common. And the scrutiny that's pent up for the moment they do anything out of the ordinary is palatable.

I ddon't know many of them personally, but the ones I do are mostly the folks making the biggest/hardest decisions every day.

I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes. Not much I want bad enough. But I'm glad they do.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag