Tesla owners and CCS chargers.... They are invading.... and Rude!

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I totally agree with you but apparently....

CNN: Here's why convenience stores aren't rushing to replace gas pumps with EV chargers.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/18/business/ev-chargers-convenience-store
I attended a webinar put on by EA a couple of years ago, check out this cost per KWH, and the gasoline equivalent. I have demand charges on my residence in Arizona (4pm-7pm), and that is unusual in most other places, but for businesses it is everywhere.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla owners and CCS chargers.... They are invading.... and Rude! GoToWebinar 000
Sponsored

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
As I said, I live in a townhouse. can't upgrade because I don't own it.
Are you able to install a 20A breaker for 240V? If so, you can get a 16A 240V EVSE that will charge your car about 3x faster than 120V. You'll get about 10 miles per hour.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, when I bought it, I was assured that they would install a 220 outlet in my place.... turns out the panel wouldn't handle it nicely.. 50 yo wiring will do that. Sure I can charge on 110, but damn that takes forever. Also there are many city dwellers who don't have the ability to charge at home. If you want electric cars on the road, you have to build the infrastructure.
Unless the wiring is over 100 year old cloth covered single strand copper, it can handle a 220V 40 A circuit. You may not have room in your panel, but the wiring can handle it.

My 70 year old home is running a 200 A panel with a 50 A EVSE circuit and has been for 3 years with not trouble. I'm sure there are others here with much older homes than I have with 50 A and 60 A circuits.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A-holes are A-holes no matter what they drive.

It will be easier when they are more public chargers available.

Last edited:

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Man, those demand charges are really going to make building this stuff out sustainable. I hope that some common shopping complexes find a way to make it work. While passing it along to one convenience store might not work, if they put them in off highways in large single parking lot spots with fast food and shopping, the costs could be part of the monthly lease fees each store pays and have a captive audience. If there were good chargers, I would much prefer to stop at a place with some things to do/eat for 30 minutes than a WalMart parking lot.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The Target near where I live usually has all sorts of not plugged-in vehicles (BEV and/or ICE) in its L2 charging spots. I often see not plugged-in Brand T cars sitting in the Brand T charging stalls. Brand T cars tend to be plugged in at the J1772 stations (probably because they can’t use the Brand T stalls), but other brands are often not plugged-in at the J1772 stalls. Pretty lame of the drivers of any of those vehicles. ☹🐩
Hmm. Perhaps the owners of the shopping centers need to start putting the chargers in less desirable store entrance spots. Way away from the entrance in other words. Then put a couple of additional ones in handicapped parking. Add idle fees and enforce handicapped violations. Then people will need to choose between getting a charge and close-in parking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tfitzgex

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
Hmm. Perhaps the owners of the shopping centers need to start putting the chargers in less desirable store entrance spots. Way away from the entrance in other words. Then put a couple of additional ones in handicapped parking. Add idle fees and enforce handicapped violations. Then people will need to choose between getting a charge and close-in parking.
Both EA locations near me are on the ass-end of the parking lots. Target has a smaller number of chargers (4 I think) and Walmart has at least 10.

OP
OP
tfitzgex

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
Unless the wiring is over 100 year old cloth covered single strand copper, it can handle a 220V 40 A circuit. You may not have room in your panel, but the wiring can handle it.

My 70 year old home is running a 200 A panel with a 50 A EVSE circuit and has been for 3 years with not trouble. I'm sure there are others here with much older homes than I have with 50 A and 60 A circuits.
I do not own my townhouse. I rent, I've asked them to put a 220 outlet in, they don't want to add it. With the electrical weirdness I've seen in my place, I'm not gonna risk having it burn down.

I will eventually purchase a house as soon as the prices aren't high as hunter biden...

ToTheMoonDJ

First Name
Darnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD EXTD - Rapid Red
Country flag
If gas stations were smart, they'd find a way to start installing chargers. Especially the big chain ones that have convenience stores attached to them like Circle K, Wawa, Sheets, etc. This way, they're ahead of the curve.
Sheetz has seen the writing on the wall and I’ve charged at two different Sheetz with EA chargers in WV.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Honest question. Tesla superchargers have a $1 a minute idle fee so people don't stay plugged in after charging stops. Does EA not have a similar fee structure to prevent this issue? Or am I missing the point? Probably a dumb question.
No clue. There are no EA chargers in the state and no plans for any atm. The Geeenlots/Shell Recharge stations here do not have an idle fee though.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I'm thrilled to see Tesla users flocking to CCS. It just means that more CCS will be built out!

Tesla v4 chargers are on the way so soon Mach-E's will be able to charge at Tesla stations and block 2 stalls at once! Yay!

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Tesla is following the old saying:"If you can't beat them, join them". So if they started with a propietary charging connector to compete against the SAE J1772 standard, and cannot beat them, then they are joining with an adapter. I see Tesla giving up to use the SAE CCS standard in all future Tesla Models. Just like Apple gave up to the Lightning plug, and now all Mac books and iPads use the USB type C plug to connect and charge. Soon all iPhones will follow.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Well, when I bought it, I was assured that they would install a 220 outlet in my place.... turns out the panel wouldn't handle it nicely.. 50 yo wiring will do that. Sure I can charge on 110, but damn that takes forever. Also there are many city dwellers who don't have the ability to charge at home. If you want electric cars on the road, you have to build the infrastructure.
I lived in cities since I was born, yet one of my parent's homes that was built in 1964 had 230 VAC wiring. I know because I repaired the electric stove and oven, and it had a large three prong, 230 VAC 50 A plug, and the hot water heater used a 230 VAC 30 A plug. If you are not planning to move, get the 230 VAC panel installed.
Sponsored