theduke

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S x 2
Country flag
Does it matter if it’s FSD or AP that kills the driver?

The point was about philosophy. And it’s pretty clear how Musk sees things as expendable and is willing to take high risks in order to achieve his goals. It’s just another symptom of his narcissistic tendencies.

But just because he’s brainwashed his employees to cheer when a $3 billion rocket explodes doesn’t mean the rest of of us have to buy the BS.

Pretty obvious what a failure looks like. He tries to change the narrative as “a learning experience.”
Kinda hard to "change the narrative" when you tell people up front you expect the rocket to explode and you will be happy if it clears the tower.

Just saying.
Sponsored

Last edited:

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
I found the book "escaping gravity" informative. The NASA culture didn't look too attractive.
We should not forget that Nasa put a man on the moon on July 20, 1969, and brought him home safely.
And then:
Six missions landed humans on the Moon, beginning with Apollo 11 in July 1969, during which Neil Armstrong became the first person to walk on the Moon. Apollo 13 was intended to land; however, it was restricted to a flyby due to a malfunction aboard the spacecraft. All nine crewed missions returned safely to the Earth.
So today we have the people working for some ego-maniac cheering that they blew up a rocket, more than 50 years later. I guess that is today's version of "progress".

Or maybe Musk is hoping that no one will remember that it was already done 53 years ago, and no one died doing it.

And, because it was a government project, it was all done by the lowest bidders. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices 1682043371912

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
So today we have the people working for some ego-maniac cheering that they blew up a rocket, more than 50 years later. I guess that is today's version of "progres".

1682043371912.png
I had no explanation when I saw the cheering for blown rocket. Speechless 😶

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We should not forget that Nasa put a man on the moon on July 20, 1969, and brought him home safely.
And then:

So today we have the people working for some ego-maniac cheering that they blew up a rocket, more than 50 years later. I guess that is today's version of "progress".

Or maybe Musk is hoping that no one will remember that it was already done 53 years ago, and no one died doing it.

And, because it was a government project, it was all done by the lowest bidders. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Slashes Prices 1682043371912
Also, a week or so ago, another government launched a mission to Jupiter. We have a few dozen operating robotic missions exploring the solar system right now...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Kinda hard to "change the narrative" when you tell people up front you expect the rocket to explode and you will be happy if it clears the tower.

Just saying.
That IS changing the narrative!!

You’re redefining failure as success.
Doesn’t matter if he said it before, during or after. It’s complete BS.

Blowing up $3 billion rockets in a test is a failure.

He’s the kinda guy who will bet on every horse so it’s “impossible to lose.”

To be clear, he said 50/50 on it blowing up. Still a failure when it did.

What’s next? Is he going to convince you and shareholders that declining profits this year is a good thing because it’s a “learning experience to make more money next year?”

It’s insane to believe the ramblings of a crazy person. To be clear, I do know that his insanity is what got him here, but we don’t need to follow the rabbit all the way down the tunnel.

OP
OP

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
And then:

So we're just going to ignore Challenger and Columbia?

theduke

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S x 2
Country flag
That IS changing the narrative!!

You’re redefining failure as success.
Doesn’t matter if he said it before, during or after. It’s complete BS.

Blowing up $3 billion rockets in a test is a failure.

He’s the kinda guy who will bet on every horse so it’s “impossible to lose.”

To be clear, he said 50/50 on it blowing up. Still a failure when it did.

What’s next? Is he going to convince you and shareholders that declining profits this year is a good thing because it’s a “learning experience to make more money next year?”

It’s insane to believe the ramblings of a crazy person. To be clear, I do know that his insanity is what got him here, but we don’t need to follow the rabbit all the way down the tunnel.
I'm not redefining failure as success. The GOALS were laid out in advance. The PRIMARY goal was to get the first stage off the pad. The booster itself has never, not once, flown. That was what the goal today was, and the goalposts were not moved. By the pre-launch defined goals, it was a success.

You are intentionally being DISHONEST (ironically the thing you criticize Musk of) and focusing on one event which was outside of the goals, to push a false narrative (a lie), because you admittedly hate the guy. How is anyone supposed to take you seriously at all when your posts are filled with a seething of hatred for anyone that doesn't share the EXACT same opinion as you. It paints everything you say in a very ugly bias.

The facts are that iterative launches is how this has always been planned. It wasn't a "oops, that wasn't supposed to happen" thing. You are flat out lying there. YEARS ago it was, by design, setup with the goal today of getting it off the ground. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

It's a different way of doing things, for sure, but the successful launch but failure of the 2nd stage to separate at 3+ minutes was not unexpected.

EDIT - and 2-3 Billion is the total project costs to date for Starship. Not the single rocket that was launched today.

By comparison, the NASA Artemis project (the rocket that was recently flown) is clocking in at 93 Billion.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not redefining failure as success. The GOALS were laid out in advance. The PRIMARY goal was to get the first stage off the pad. The booster itself has never, not once, flown. That was what the goal today was, and the goalposts were not moved. By the pre-launch defined goals, it was a success.

You are intentionally being DISHONEST (ironically the thing you criticize Musk of) and focusing on one event which was outside of the goals, to push a false narrative (a lie), because you admittedly hate the guy. How is anyone supposed to take you seriously at all when your posts are filled with a seething of hatred for anyone that doesn't share the EXACT same opinion as you. It paints everything you say in a very ugly bias.

The facts are that iterative launches is how this has always been planned. It wasn't a "oops, that wasn't supposed to happen" thing. You are flat out lying there. YEARS ago it was, by design, setup with the goal today of getting it off the ground. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

It's a different way of doing things, for sure, but the successful launch but failure of the 2nd stage to separate at 3+ minutes was not unexpected.

EDIT - and 2-3 Billion is the total project costs to date for Starship. Not the single rocket that was launched today.

By comparison, the NASA Artemis project (the rocket that was recently flown) is clocking in at 93 Billion.
So the goal was to explode? Mission success then…..

Keep drinking that Kool-aid……

Sorry, but it doesn’t matter how many times you try to explain it, it’s nonsense.

I totally understand that today the launch had a high probability of failure.

But it’s still failure.

I bet Musk could convince you that your team actually won……. When they lose a game.

Why? Because they were expected to lose. Therefore “playing as expected” is a win!

See how that logic works with crazy people? 🤦‍♂️

If they accomplished all the goals, it wouldn’t have exploded. Yes, there are multiple goals, and if you don’t get them all, you fail. Cheering loudly at a failure is…… insane. But he’s convinced his employees to do it.

Next time he throws a ball bearing through a bulletproof window, make sure to cheer!

theduke

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S x 2
Country flag
So the goal was to explode? Mission success then…..

Keep drinking that Kool-aid……

Sorry, but it doesn’t matter how many times you try to explain it, it’s nonsense.

I totally understand that today the launch had a high probability of failure.

But it’s still failure.

I bet Musk could convince you that your team actually won……. When they lose a game.

Why? Because they were expected to lose. Therefore “playing as expected” is a win!

See how that logic works with crazy people? 🤦‍♂️
Can you have a conversation without insulting someone? I'm not crazy, I'm reporting what was said before the launch.

Your coming off as rude.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you have a conversation without insulting someone? I'm not crazy, I'm reporting what was said before the launch.

Your coming off as rude.
I’m saying that cheering a rocket that exploded is crazy.

It wasn’t directed at you, unless you cheered.

theduke

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S x 2
Country flag
I’m saying that cheering a rocket that exploded is crazy.

It wasn’t directed at you, unless you cheered.
I cheered when it got into the air, I went "uh oh" when the 2nd stage didn't separate.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cheered when it got into the air, I went "uh oh" when the 2nd stage didn't separate.
And that’s exactly how people should react.

I get the feeling the employees have been trained. Like in the “laugh at your bosses jokes even when they aren’t funny” way.

FWIW, l live in Florida and try to watch as many launches as I can. Freakin awesome watching the boosters come back down.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Not sure that the consumers really benefited since the manufacturers just raised prices as a result of the tax credits.
Tesla lowered prices significantly to get their models under the tax credit cap. Since then, they have lowered prices even more. Which companies are you referring to...thats a really crappy way to do business!

Last edited:

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Doesn't this logic make all automotive manufacturers scumbags that use the ZEV credits to subsidize their gas guzzler trucks and SUV's? Seems Ford and GM fit that description.
No, righteous indignation only applies to Tesla. It is not applied universally. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: