Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
91% of people that brought a tesla listed the main reason as the fun. The 0 to 60 time and top speed is a major factor. Not many cars you can buy that are that cheap and is that fast.
Absolutely. My point wasn't about fun driving; that's a huge deal. My point was that it wasn't just about acceleration. It's about total vehicle driving dynamics. Acceleration AND handling and braking. It is so cool that a CROSSOVER can beat a GT3 on the track! Well, at least for one lap. After that you better have aftermarket brakes. Something I'm hoping won't be required with the Mach-e GT. Here's a link, one of many. This Y is not stock. But it's amazing what you can do with a few simple and relatively inexpensive aftermarket parts.

Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yeah tesla didn't think $8k was crazy ebough, $10k is a much more crazy round number. Sure...
Amazed it's not $10,420 TBH because ha ha. ??????????

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never said there weren't issues; in fact I said just the opposite. RTFPM.

1. RTFPM
2. Give me a break. Yes there is phantom breaking, no it's not a big deal unless you're a doofus. You're supposed to be monitoring the car; a touch of gas ends the phantom breaking instantly before it's a deal at all. Besides, a complete rewrite of the FSD software is about to be released. Just like it's premature to say the Y enjoys a range advantage over the E, it's ridiculous to debate a point that will be moot before the E is even released.
3. Come on man! I drive a Y daily. This is false.
4. Again, come on man! BS. Name one essential control that I have to take my hands off the steering wheel to activate.
5. That may be true. If you care about that then it's a point in the E's favor.
6. See point 5.
7. See point 5.
8. LOL.
9. So the F*&^ what? I've driven my Y through snow and wind and sand and muddy roads and never once have I needed a rear wiper--even a tiny little bit. Why put on another part that could fail when there's no possibility it might be needed???? As a caveat I will admit I ceramic coated all glass except for my windshield. Easy to do and really should be done on every car.
10. True, but a mixed blessing. I'm so tired of dealing with crooked dealer service that this is a point in Tesla's favor for me. Tesla just added sound proofing to my heat pump; they came to my house to do it. Very nice. Oh, and they brought the parts I ordered too. All no charge.

I'm not saying Tesla doesn't have issues; only a fool would say that. I'm saying those issues don't keep the car from being great. Those same issues may and should drive some people to the Mach-e. Here's a few:
1. The paint is going to be better on the E. First, Rapid Red is the second best red out there. (I like Mazda's metallic red better.) Second you can't paint a car in California as well as you can in Mexico. That's a simple fact. California's environmental restrictions are a huge hurdle to overcome compared to Mexico.
2. The pin pad to open the door on the E. Very nice and a big deal to me. I'm REALLY hoping Ford implements a "Pin To Drive" as well. That way if something happens to me out on the ocean or river, one of my buddies can open my car and drive it with a simple pin. Seriously, this is a big deal to some, me included.
3. Magneride suspension on the E GT. Another big deal if implemented correctly. Right now if I want to have a serious track day, not just one or two fun laps, I have to lift my Y and adjust the aftermarket suspension lower and stiffer. The E might just do that from the touch screen. Way better for hitting a windy road on the way home from the coast.
4. I'm hoping the E GT comes stock with 14.5" brakes. The Mach-e 1400 gives me hope that they're considering it. That's a $4K savings over adding those brakes to the Y. (Aftermarket.)
5. The E has a cargo cover, the Y does not. This is somewhat mitigated by the Y's "trunk" space. TBH, the cargo cover would be a non-player for me anyways as I always have the rear seats down. But for other this could be a big deal.

Here's a big question and a big deal to some: Will the E come with "Track Mode" or will they add it later? If not, it will never keep up with the Y on the track. The Y doesn't have it yet, it's coming soon. After tracking a 3P with track mode you realize it's a requirement for a car like this to be fast on the track. Well, faster. The Y is already a monster on the track without it; it will be incredible with it. BTW, please understand I'm talking fun track days or short races. An EV just can't compete when the race starts getting longer. That's OK, I'm not up for a six hour endurance race anyway.

I've told you what the E does better, the Y is no slouch either. In the Y's favor (Not all people will care about any or all points. that's kind of the point of choice.)

1. Towing capacity: 3500 pounds for the Y compared to zero approved towing for the US variant of the E.

2. Cargo space: more of it and better laid out in the Y. That tall rear end that some don't like the looks of is pretty darned useful if you need it. Got a family and big dogs? Or a hydrofoil?

3. The hatch is level with the floor. This is a big deal in a lot of scenarios. I can't sit on the back of the E and watch the ocean after a day's kite surfing. Hauling luggage or lumber out of the Y will be easier than in the E.

4. Very few mechanical switches. I've restored a few cars and maintained even more old cars. You know what fails a lot and is hard to find when a car gets older? Switches.

5. No display behind the steering wheel which is obscured when steering anyways. It's so nice not to have that distraction directly in front of you at night. This is an EV. The only instrument I NEED is the speed, which I can cross check just as fast on the center console as behind the steering wheel. Faster even if I'm in a turn.

6. FSD's potential. However, as I mentioned it's pointless to go into this right now. The system will be entirely new in a month or two.

Some of the stuff on the internet and on this forum are just stupid. Like making any kind of deal over the color of the PVC brackets on a coolant chiller. Seriously? PVC is PVC. The fact that a never seen chiller has wood grain on the PVC is not even a little itty bitty tiny issue. Trying to make it one just shows an utter lack of understanding of the mechanical concepts involved. Don't even get me started about video put out by Chinese--the country, not the race--media. I mean seriously? Been to China much? I have. Chinese media reports either what the government tells them to report, or--in the absence of government direction--what they get paid to report.

You can talk about quality issues with both Ford and Tesla. Ford has had some pretty serious recalls; so pointing fingers at Tesla is a bit hypocritical. Like laughing at one Y roof that wasn't secured when Ford has had to recall the same cars twice recently for doors popping open while driving. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/business/ford-recall-faulty-door-latch/index.html https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/10/18/ford-door-latch-recall/775137001/

I'm not trying to say Ford is bad here, just typical. Like Tesla. I think most Mach-Es will be defect free, and probably a lower defect rate in fit and finish than Tesla. Regardless of which car--of any make--you decide to buy, you should inspect it carefully and reject a flawed specimen. Yes, I think it slightly more likely that you might reject a Tesla over a Mach-e, but the rate is likely still trivial either way.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
A genuine question, if Teslas are so badly built with so many problems then why do they people that own them love them so much? They almost get indoctrinated into a Tesla cult.
Two things, I suspect. One, the thrill of driving a performance EV is intoxicating and there's really not much else out there yet that compares to the Tesla driving experience. Two, the software on a Tesla is really slick with no other vehicle coming close yet with its complete integration in the user experience.

People confuse the performance EV experience with driving a Tesla. I think once people get behind the wheel of a MME, they'll be sold. As for the software? We'll see how Ford does. Ford's approach seems promising, but very expensive. I'm not sure if having their own development team is the right strategy or doing something like adopting Google Android like Volvo/Polestar is better.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Hardware updates are often known as "recalls". I had three done on my Fusion Hybrid. Other than that, any other hardware updates are from the "aftermarket". Software updates are easier but may have more problems.

There is an article online where Biil Gates compares Windows PC with a car. And a car maker replies to that article about how a car made by Microsoft will run. My best line from that is that a Microsoft car will show a "BSOD" and stop on the road, than it would neet a hardware reset to start up again.
I seem to remember reading about somebody having to restart their Tesla on a test drive.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Hardware updates are often known as "recalls". I had three done on my Fusion Hybrid. Other than that, any other hardware updates are from the "aftermarket". Software updates are easier but may have more problems.

There is an article online where Biil Gates compares Windows PC with a car. And a car maker replies to that article about how a car made by Microsoft will run. My best line from that is that a Microsoft car will show a "BSOD" and stop on the road, than it would neet a hardware reset to start up again.
BTW, the reply on that came from Ford. It was some time ago, if I recall. Was an awesome rebuttal.