Mach-E AWD vs Tesla Model 3 AWD vs XXXX ?

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
Only you can decide what pushes your buttons and suits your personal needs the best. I would caution against a car with only 200 miles of range unless you know you won't need more than about 130-145 miles. You need to account for cold weather and potential strong headwinds. If you have more range than you need it just adds convenience. If you have less than you need it adds increasing inconconvience until it becomes unworkable. So even though I tend not to drive more than 100-300 miles a day, more range is never a bad thing.
Sponsored

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think sometimes people get too hung up on reliability. Some of the worst cars I have ever driven in my life (toyota corolla for example) are reliable. The fact that a Corolla will keep running for 20 years inflicting misery on the driver makes it more annoying somehow.

For me the more important stat is customer satisfaction. That's how happy is the owner. This is where tesla scores very high. There may be a few issues here and there but the owners love their cars and would buy them again.

Tman317

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
I have been looking at the Mach-e Vs the Tesla Y so somewhat the same. While Tesla does have some fit and finish issues they have had years to work out the basic software issues and it is now pretty solid. The Mach-e is almost the opposite, the fit and finish is very good and mechanically sound but the software is iffy. It could be a year or more before Ford gets it all worked out. They have so many opportunities that they will have to prioritize what is the most important so it could be a long time before small issues get fixed. Charging on a trip is frequently challenging which is a big issue as is the phone app so those are likely ones to be addressed, but might take a while. Any new EV's coming out will likely have similar issues for a year or more so while I prefer the Mach-e over the Y, the Y seems like it might be a better choice if I just want things to work.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Did another test drive tonight for about an hour and after getting home put in my order for the MME!

Ordered a Rapid Red Premium 4X, looks like it'll be awhile though with the delays. I think overall I trust Ford more in the long run and it has more of the features that matter. I don't really need my car to fart at people or play video games

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Did another test drive tonight for about an hour and after getting home put in my order for the MME!

Ordered a Rapid Red Premium 4X, looks like it'll be awhile though with the delays. I think overall I trust Ford more in the long run and it has more of the features that matter. I don't really need my car to fart at people or play video games
You just ordered my car. I have had mine almost three months and am loving it. Perhaps I am just lucky but mine has excellent build quality and it works very well! My only complaint is that the ride is a bit stiffer than I would prefer but that would not have been better with the Tesla. Yes, the FordPass app looks/works a bit like it was made by amateurs but it does everything I want/need it to do--remote start, phone as a key, etc. It would be nice to have additional functional features in the app but the features I care about the most are there and work reliably. You should love the car!

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
You just ordered my car. I have had mine almost three months and am loving it. Perhaps I am just lucky but mine has excellent build quality and it works very well! My only complaint is that the ride is a bit stiffer than I would prefer but that would not have been better with the Tesla. Yes, the FordPass app looks/works a bit like it was made by amateurs but it does everything I want/need it to do--remote start, phone as a key, etc. It would be nice to have additional functional features in the app but the features I care about the most are there and work reliably. You should love the car!
It is a little stiff but that seems to be an EV thing. Coming from a Grand Cherokee with all terrain tires so I'm sort of used to it. I noticed the test car had it's tires at 45psi so maybe it would help if they were at spec.

Doesn't sound like I'll get it until maybe November or December

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It is a little stiff but that seems to be an EV thing. Coming from a Grand Cherokee with all terrain tires so I'm sort of used to it. I noticed the test car had it's tires at 45psi so maybe it would help if they were at spec.
It's not necessarily an "EV" thing; It's my fourth mustang and they have all had a stiffer suspension than the typical car. The suspension is tuned to be sporty and responsive in the twisties, as opposed to the jello that my wife's cars usually are.
Sponsored