Mach-E AWD vs Tesla Model 3 AWD vs XXXX ?

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
You forgot to mention the Polestar 2, which is an excellent EV, currently only comes with AWD, and is readily available. Granted, the estimated range is about 230 or so.
Sponsored

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
You forgot to mention the Polestar 2, which is an excellent EV, currently only comes with AWD, and is readily available. Granted, the estimated range is about 230 or so.
I didn't really consider that but I'll take a look. Wondering how Volvo\Polestar range is so bad since they have roughly the same battery size but considerably worse range than all of the other options.

The Model 3 (AWD Long Range) and Mach-E (Premium AWD Ext) really are the same price if you factor in the $7500 federal tax for the Mach-E, but then you also have to wait to get it.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I didn't really consider that but I'll take a look. Wondering how Volvo\Polestar range is so bad since they have roughly the same battery size but considerably worse range than all of the other options.

The Model 3 (AWD Long Range) and Mach-E (Premium AWD Ext) really are the same price if you factor in the $7500 federal tax for the Mach-E, but then you also have to wait to get it.
It's worth a look. They're supposed to unveil more options this month for the PS2 (2WD, not as many bells & whistles, different battery sizes), which should help bring the cost down. Right now all you can order is the fully loaded launch edition. I drove a Polestar 2 here in LA, and I thought it was excellent. But I also prefer cars to crossovers (although I do really like the Mach-E, as I'm a member of this forum!)

I also really like the fact that there are no Polestar dealerships. They operate much like Tesla, so there's no nonsense or shenanigans. The customer experience they offered me was quite impressive.

But in the end you must choose what's right for you. I just didn't want you to overlook this impressive EV.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It's worth a look. They're supposed to unveil more options this month for the PS2 (2WD, not as many bells & whistles, different battery sizes), which should help bring the cost down. Right now all you can order is the fully loaded launch edition. I drove a Polestar 2 here in LA, and I thought it was excellent. But I also prefer cars to crossovers (although I do really like the Mach-E, as I'm a member of this forum!)

I also really like the fact that there are no Polestar dealerships. They operate much like Tesla, so there's no nonsense or shenanigans. The customer experience they offered me was quite impressive.

But in the end you must choose what's right for you. I just didn't want you to overlook this impressive EV.
Someone - @Mach-E VLOG maybe - test drove one on here not long ago and was not super impressed with the Polestar 2 given its price.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That's one thing I actually don't know about the MME, does it use a heat pump or resistive heating?

Build quality is a big concern, whatever I purchase I would like to pay it off an own it long term. If I was just leasing or something I probably wouldn't care.

The MME definitely fits the performance bill, even though the 3 is faster the MME is really quick and I thought felt much faster than the Y. One thing I like about the 3 is the 350 miles of range vs 270-300.

Does the MME have anything like "Dog mode"? It sounds gimmicky but I think I would use that a lot for my dogs while running into the shops and such. Could I just leave the MME climate control on and locked?

Thanks
The MME does not have a heat pump, but it does "scavenge heat" from the battery and other components where it can if you have E-Heat turned off. That can work during the milder seasons, but not during a cold winter. Then again, a heat pump stops working as efficiently when you get into the 20s (F).

Regarding range, the 3 does have more range (the Y does not), but the EPA numbers do not tell the whole story. Check out this article for Edmunds' continually updated leaderboard. https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

MME does not have "dog mode", but you can leave the car running or remote start it for 15-30 minutes at a time.
Developers have hinted things like dog mode and sentry mode could be added in a future OTA update.

Tman317

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm going through the same evaluation only Mech-e Vs Tesla Y . I really prefer the MME, but spending too much time on this forum reading about tech problems has scared me. I'd really like to know the percent of the vehicles that are having these tech problems. I like to know if Ford is going to fix the issues quickly. If so I would order the MME. Also for probably the next year or two having many Ford dealers likely won't be much help as most have limited to no knowledge of the vehicle. So it really needs to be reliable.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I'm going through the same evaluation only Mech-e Vs Tesla Y . I really prefer the MME, but spending too much time on this forum reading about tech problems has scared me. I'd really like to know the percent of the vehicles that are having these tech problems. I like to know if Ford is going to fix the issues quickly. If so I would order the MME. Also for probably the next year or two having many Ford dealers likely won't be much help as most have limited to no knowledge of the vehicle. So it really needs to be reliable.
I haven't spent much time on the rest of the forum yet, are there some common issues on a lot of MMEs?

It's such a dilemma on one hand you have Tesla who has more experience with EVs, but is also wishy washy on quality and possible long term reliability.

Then you have Ford who's way more established but newer to the EV game.

Which will end up being better in 7 years? Tesla also does have a slightly better warranty I think

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Someone - @Mach-E VLOG maybe - test drove one on here not long ago and was not super impressed with the Polestar 2 given its price.
Yep, here are my thoughts as a Mach-E owner test driving a Polestar 2.
Impresses by the quickness but disappointed by the seat quality, road noise, and that massive center console. I didn't even mention the fact that there are no service centers at this time in over 1,000 miles from me.

Tman317

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't spent much time on the rest of the forum yet, are there some common issues on a lot of MMEs?

It's such a dilemma on one hand you have Tesla who has more experience with EVs, but is also wishy washy on quality and possible long term reliability.

Which will end up being better in 7 years? Tesla also does have a slightly better warranty I think
Yes there are many common problems as well as not so common. A lot seems to be with the tech/ software. Unfortunately the dealers don’t seem to have much knowledge so help comes from this forum and experiment. Tesla seems to be much better at the EV tech but as you stated they have had years to fix it so it works.

OP
OP

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Yes there are many common problems as well as not so common. A lot seems to be with the tech/ software. Unfortunately the dealers don’t seem to have much knowledge so help comes from this forum and experiment. Tesla seems to be much better at the EV tech but as you stated they have had years to fix it so it works.
You have to wonder how much is really common out there vs the forums. I think of car forums with all the issues sometimes like apartment reviews. Only people with bad reviews review apartments, so they all have terrible reviews on the different websites

ReidB

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Based on your uncertainty I think the Model 3 is the safer choice for you. As a whole the integration is better between car, app, and charging. The Model 3 has been out for 5 years and has gone through its paces - though there are some production issues.

There will be issues with Tesla just like the MME. If you want space and didn't like the Model Y then go with MME.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt
Country flag

This is why I prefer to lease an EV at this stage of the game. Less risk.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hello -- My wife and I went down to one car during the pandemic and at some point in the coming months I'm going to get another car when we go back to work. I'm looking for an EV that's practical and also fun to drive. I live in Colorado and really only considering AWD (both for the traction and the additional power with EVs). Would also like somewhere in the 250-300+ miles of range to feel comfortable.

I've test driven a Model 3, Model Y and a Mustang Mach-E so far and I think at least right now it's between the Model 3 and Mach-E, didn't really like the Y at all. I know there's several vehicles coming out that will be AWD, but I don't think any will be ready within the next 6 months or so. The VW ID.4 AWD seems like it keeps getting pushed back.

The Model 3 has some things over the Mach-E but the Mach-E has some things over the Model 3, like heated steering wheel which is a really nice feature in Colorado. I'm not really predisposed to either Tesla or Ford, but as far as long term reliability and quality control I trust Ford more on that regard. Tesla has some QC issues and is a relatively new manufacturer.

Is anyone else considering between these 2 cars and also are there any others to consider either out already out will be out in the next couple months? The Volvo XC40 Recharge looks nice to me except the 200 miles of EPA range just makes it a non-player for me.

Thanks
I had been looking to get a Model 3 before the Mach E was announced, but as a Ford guy gravitated toward the Mach E. It wasn't a slam dunk though because I like small and sporty, and the model 3 was more the size car I like to drive (3 mustangs, a focus, saturn sedan, etc). Now that I have the Mach E I know I made the right choice for me, even though it is a little big for my tastes (I am getting used to the size). I did really like the Model 3 and it was definitely quicker than my ER RWD Mach E (ie the slowest Mach E) - if the Mach E didn't exist I'd have a model 3 right now, but on balance I like so much more about the Mach E.

Certainly Tesla has had ongoing QC issues, but out of the gate Ford has had QC issues too. I think the bigger factor for me was the culture (and personality cult) associated with Tesla. I really don't like how Musk turned on his people over Covid, nor how he pushed out incomplete cars just to make sure he got his bonuses - that's a sleazy move IMO. Ford pushed to get cars out sooner than they probably should have (the software is not fully baked), but they respected their employees and installed (& enforced) safety protocols before going into production. The fact that they have stopped shipments twice to resolve major issues before delivery to customers speaks volumes compared to Tesla selling cars with bolts not installed because the quarter was ending.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
some notably wrong things said in that video, in particular about the Volvo servicing thing, which we've gone over and over on here - Geely has directly said that's simply wrong, and the Polestar site agrees with that:

Local service points for your Polestar | Polestar

Clearly the salesperson lied to them and they believed it instead of spending the few minutes to validate it. That's disappointing.

They also parrot the Tesla range which we all know is complete fiction - even they know it from their own ownership experience, and yet they parrot it anyway.

Disappointing to see that stuff in an "honest" review.
Sponsored