First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Listen at the 16 minute mark. Great sound of the pedestrian alert. Very futuristic!
Will everyone get the Office Space callouts while the car is in reverse, or is that limited to certain preproduction units?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I don’t see that anyone posted this yet. My apology if so...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...e-drive-assist-quick-compare/?sh=7486514d7034
Interesting that he writes "hands-free" in quotes when it is in fact a hands-free driving mode.

"Full self driving" is written without quotes, while the car isn't yet capable of full self driving. This journalistic failure is my biggest pet peeve since it further encourages dangerous driving behaviors.

He produced his ADAS table using Tesla's advertised capabilities instead of the union of Tesla's and Ford's.

He also fails to compare what is included as standard on each vehicle with what is included as an add-on for $10k or $600.

Forbes has a few good auto journalists, and then others like Brooke are there for the easy page views.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Interesting that he writes "hands-free" in quotes when it is in fact a hands-free driving mode.

"Full self driving" is written without quotes, while the car isn't yet capable of full self driving.
No kidding. Ford will have hands free driving; the Tesla system is not hands free and likely never will be.

Not only that but the manual says you have to supervise it all all times. For $10K you get to sit behind someone and tell them how to use a computer to access a web page rather than just doing it yourself. Hard to see the attraction of doing that.

Because you have to keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road, and be ready to take control instantly without warning, the Tesla FSD forces a choice between a system which can be "safe but not useful" OR a system which is "useful but not safe". The Ford system is "useful and safe", albeit only on select roads, which realistically may be where you'd want it the most but is certainly not everywhere. (Hopefully it will work as well as SuperCruise).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FWIW, what Ford is offering for $600 is exactly what I want: let me relax a little on long highway drives without having to hold the same position for hours, and when I'm not driving long boring stretches of road I'm completely in control. Honestly the Tesla Autopilot is all I would use/pay for had I gone with a model 3. For me the extra $600 I'd have to pay is worth not having to hold the wheel the whole time, but if it wasn't available/was way more money then I'd be OK with just having a hand on the wheel.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
well, watch this one. the range he said seems off to me.
that's a very empty-looking house. maybe he should spend his money on filling those big open echoing spaces instead of on cars.

sorry that might be unnecessarily snarky - but that echo was killing me.

He also mentions the 7 day return policy, which isn't a thing any more.

The headrest complaint - the "dealbreaker" - is interesting but somewhat problematic given that a lot of cars don't let you adjust the angle of a headrest; height, yes, but angle, no. He seems to think that everyone else lets you do the angle.

He suggests he owns a Model 3 but he doesn't have charging in his garage? I'm confused about his actual home situation - I thought the Y was his first BEV but towards the end, he compares it to the Model 3 driving experience. He owns a house with a garage and bought a BEV for "almost $100,000" (his words) but wouldn't spend to put in a charger? That's strange.

It's also really interesting that he says outright that the Supercharger network is insufficient since that's usually cited as a major Tesla benefit, and he's saying "they are too far apart and the car's range estimate is useless".

His complaints about having to touch the steering wheel during Autopilot suggests that he expects more out of Autopilot than he should, but that is really more evidence that the marketing of Autopilot (and even the naming) are fundamentally broken.

Last edited:

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
His complaints about having to touch the steering wheel during Autopilot suggests that he expects more out of Autopilot than he should, but that is really more evidence that the marketing of Autopilot (and even the naming) are fundamentally broken.
Since the manual says you have to have your hands on the wheel at all times, then yes, he's expecting way more than he should. At this point he's being borderline stupid since Tesla always points this out after a crash.

However, I don't think this shows the marketing is fundamentally broken. From Tesla's standpoint it seems to be working as intended. How many people think FSD is superior to SuperCruise (or Ford's upcoming Co-Pilot) when the former is not hands free and the later is?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

To use that guy's own words . . . he was "super annoying". Obviously no research done into owning an EV, no understanding of how autopilot and ADAS systems require driver attention, and like someone else said . . . buy some furniture!

And, yeah, he has to be way off on range, or something is wrong with that car. He also said the car was almost $100K?? Even the performance is only $60K, so he is obviously not good at math.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag

This is just click bait. Way too much hinky stuff to be believable at all; it's mostly just an anti-EV ad. First BS alert: He calls his Y a $77K vehicle. The most expensive Y he could have bought at the time was $70K--and that is with FSD. Second BS alert: He says his 2400 mile road trip should take 24 hours, and he drives 75 mph. Pretty big math error. Third BS alert: Very new house with next to nothing in it. Fourth BS alert: look at all the ads in the description. This video is clearly click bait. Fifth BS alert: He talks about installing a Tesla Supercharger which is not possible for home use. Non Tesla owners can make that mistake, but once you've bought an EV you generally have figured out that homes have EV chargers, not "Superchargers." Fifth BS alert: He says the electrical panel is on the other side of the house from his garage in what is clearly a very new home. Possible, but incredibly unlikely.

He is correct that at the current price of gas, you are not going to save much money on fuel with an EV if you do all of your charging commercially. This is the sixth BS alert. If he really had an EV, even without a wall charger he'd still plug in his car in his garage using the included mobile charger. He is also correct that if you don't find the seats in a car comfortable you should keep looking. That of course raises the seventh BS alert: Why didn't he return the car when he says he considered returning it? He very clearly makes the point that he spends a lot of time making sure his previously broken back is taken care of. So why didn't he just return it?

And the final BS alert: who in their right mind makes a negative video of a car they are about to try and sell? Maybe after it's sold, but you'd have to be a fool to release that before it was sold. Just saying.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't like Tesla's. I find their style rather boring. But when I watched the video awhile back, my BS flags went off. Complaining about DC charging times? Yeah, that didn't happen or he didn't do research. Either way not real. A Superchrager at home? No, you don't have one and didn't install one. Unless you're Jeff Bezo's long lost first cousin thrice removed. He's running a vblog, so if it was a poor choice of words, it's not at all understandable. The seats are uncomfortable? Really did you not try them out before buying? headrest? Ok. But not likely.

The only thing I can see that made sense was the price tag, if and only if, it was the most expensive model and he's including taxes and other items, cause that's what you're really paying. But it's not the norm to include those when you're discussing car price.

Last edited:

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I think there is hope for peace in the EV world. :) On Nov 3 a guy posted pictures of A Mach-e he took at his local Ford dealer in the "Tesla Model Y" Facebook group. While there were obviously a few fanboy comments, the response was overwhelmingly positive with over 400 likes to date.

It is entirely possible to think your own car is great and prefer it over others, while still admiring other great cars. Trashing a competitor merely shows you are self conscious about your own choices. Admitting a competitor is great shows that you truly believe your own choice great enough to be an even better choice for you. This is one reason why Tesla fan boys are increasingly becoming less popular on Tesla forums.

EDITED TO ADD: I just looked at this and realized it came right after Kamuelaflyer's comment. I apologize if that makes it look like a response to his " I don't like Tesla's. I find their style rather boring. " comment. It is not. I don't consider stating disliking styling to be trashing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to each his own. Buying a car is and should be partially an emotional choice. Choosing not to buy a car because you don't like it's looks is about a good a reason as I've ever heard.
Sponsored

Last edited: