Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
As an opinion I believe this is a legitimate concern, but I also believe that it will be interesting to see how Tesla resale holds up now that as others have said there is perceived to be real competition from multiple manufacturers.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Should be an easy choice. :)

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
As I ponder my first EV purchase and weigh the pros it consistently comes down to software vs hardware. Fords legacy car manufacturing experience should lead to a better constructed car with higher quality fit and finish. On the other hand, Tesla’s lead in software development is not be under estimated. Can Ford put out as polished product on the first go around? Also, the resale value of the Model 3 is compelling. On looks the Mach E wins hands down vs the MY, although the M3 is more attractive than the MY IMHO. Too bad Tesla didn’t make the M3 a hatch.
So I dont particularly care for SUVs at all - but I'm drawn to the looks of the Mach-E.

That said, Mach-E offers (to me):
  1. Longer range
  2. More dealers
  3. Lower insurance
Whereas the Model 3 offers:
  1. Lower price
  2. Dashcam
  3. Sentry Mode
  4. Tesla Arcade/Entertainment
  5. Streaming audio through the car, not a phone
  6. Proven track record of constant OTA improvements (vs promises)
  7. Superchargers
  8. No haggle, online buying
The looks are what are selling the Mach-E to me... if I go through with my order (still TBD, don't really commute anymore due to WFH, nothing's wrong with the Tesla).

I had zero fit and finish issues with my Model 3. Now that it's 2 years old, I've noticed the airbag cover squeaks on bumpy roads. My prior Fords have all required warranty hardware replacement before 12,000 miles. My 2012 Focus notched up 15 service visits in the first 3 years, including the one time the badge fell off (apparently it was embarrassed too).

The Model 3 has been flawless.

I'd expect the Mach-E will be due to the BEV powertrain not having any of the classic Ford failure modes (crappy transmissions and engines).

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
As I ponder my first EV purchase and weigh the pros it consistently comes down to software vs hardware. Fords legacy car manufacturing experience should lead to a better constructed car with higher quality fit and finish. On the other hand, Tesla’s lead in software development is not be under estimated. Can Ford put out as polished product on the first go around? Also, the resale value of the Model 3 is compelling. On looks the Mach E wins hands down vs the MY, although the M3 is more attractive than the MY IMHO. Too bad Tesla didn’t make the M3 a hatch.
We have owned 3 Tesla’s and we are selling our Model 3 to buy a Mach E. We had to wait 4 years for our first Model S after we put down a $5,000 deposit. Although our order was around # 1,000, we got car # 10,231 because we ordered the least expensive version. Quite a few issues with that car so traded it in on a new Model S with newer tech. That Model S was good but the hardware changed again with Enhanced Auto Pilot so traded for a Model 3 with all the “bells and whistles”.

This Model 3 has the worst paint job of any car I have ever owned with the base coat showing in the door frames and the trunk lid. Also, and most importantly, the AutoPilot is seriously flawed. Many times, our car spontaneously turns on it’s turn signal and heads for the off-ramp while traveling down the freeway. It also slams on the brakes when we are going 60 MPH on the freeway almost resulting in being rear-ended several times. These are only 2 examples of the erratic, dangerous Tesla AutoPilot behavior on our car.

Bottomline. We have grown tired of the fake news coming from Tesla about the capabilities of their vehicles... We are excited about the Mach E and really looking forward to experiencing an EV built with the customer in mind.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
We have owned 3 Tesla’s and we are selling our Model 3 to buy a Mach E. We had to wait 4 years for our first Model S after we put down a $5,000 deposit. Although our order was around # 1,000, we got car # 10,231 because we ordered the least expensive version. Quite a few issues with that car so traded it in on a new Model S with newer tech. That Model S was good but the hardware changed again with Enhanced Auto Pilot so traded for a Model 3 with all the “bells and whistles”.

This Model 3 has the worst paint job of any car I have ever owned with the base coat showing in the door frames and the trunk lid. Also, and most importantly, the AutoPilot is seriously flawed. Many times, our car spontaneously turns on it’s turn signal and heads for the off-ramp while traveling down the freeway. It also slams on the brakes when we are going 60 MPH on the freeway almost resulting in being rear-ended several times. These are only 2 examples of the erratic, dangerous Tesla AutoPilot behavior on our car.

Bottomline. We have grown tired of the fake news coming from Tesla about the capabilities of their vehicles... We are excited about the Mach E and really looking forward to experiencing an EV built with the customer in mind.
Great post, and I can concur from a Former Model 3 owner as well.

stacienicolej

First Name
Stacie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw 525i
Occupation
scientist
Country flag
great topic for me. my top 2 are the Mod3 and the MachE. just waiting on the MachE to come to dealerships so i can check it out... any word on when they're saying when they'll be available to view in dealership? im sure it varies from dealership to dealership but...

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Same - I can afford my Mach-E because my Model 3 has basically not dropped in value. I somewhat doubt the Mach-E will match that.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

Interesting... I don't have (or want) Autopilot on my Model 3, so that behavior I know nothing about, but would be frustrating.

I did not get anywhere near as early as a 10,000 VIN, but my 150,000 VIN has flawless paint quality, for what it's worth.

I'm almost more worried about a "First Edition" Mach-E that I ordered than another Tesla at this point... at least another Model 3 would have the bugs at least known.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
great topic for me. my top 2 are the Mod3 and the MachE. just waiting on the MachE to come to dealerships so i can check it out... any word on when they're saying when they'll be available to view in dealership? im sure it varies from dealership to dealership but...
End of november at the earliest

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I myself have never owned a tesla. I have test driven Model 3, Model X, and Model Y.

My nephew has owned two teslas and now drives a tesla model 3 which he is selling for his Mache.

Problems he had with his 2018 model 3.

The paint was not as bad as some others. About 4 spots that were like wtf. Mostly on corners.
The major problem he had was.

The charging door sometimes just opening on its own. The rear spoiler was coming off. Bad panel gaps on both rear doors. One was out of spec by 2 inches.

The interior light by the mirror was falling out. Missing plastic panel that covered the seat belt.
The worst thing was the sound in the car never seemed right.
At one of the repair service calls it was determined that one of the door speakers was not even put in.
Took 3 different service calls to fix all the problems. But tesla did fix them.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Same - I can afford my Mach-E because my Model 3 has basically not dropped in value. I somewhat doubt the Mach-E will match that.
I'm guessing the Model 3 will drop in value more in the next few years now that it has real competition. Tesla enjoyed a near monopoly up until now. Without a serious alternative to compete with, resale value holds better. But real competition is about to start.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I'm guessing the Model 3 will drop in value more in the next few years now that it has real competition. Tesla enjoyed a near monopoly up until now. Without a serious alternative to compete with, resale value holds better. But real competition is about to start.
The only thing I will thank tesla for is with out them, the EV push would not have been so fast.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The only thing I will thank tesla for is with out them, the EV push would not have been so fast.
I applaud Tesla for their innovation. I'm a big free market guy, so the more competition the better. Companies competing push each other, and the result is better and better products for consumers. While I prefer the Mach-E, I'm glad Tesla will continue to be around to compete.

I'm also glad Ford is continuing to develop ICE and PHEV as well. More choices for consumers is a good thing. It also pushes BEV development to try and match ICE functionality on things like vehicle size and highway range, and shrink the gap on refueling time.
Sponsored