kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Was thinking about dipping my toes into FDRS but had a question about the 12V power supply. Was looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ER3LH1...L7WIQTAMS&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_cv_lig_dp_it&th=1
The item you linked to does have a power supply mode but unless you already own it, I have used
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPB55N...=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

paired with

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PBBQ1QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

many times including for the 3+ hour long IPMA/PSCM update without issue and it is $40-$60 dollars cheaper.
Sponsored

Babbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
I think your confusion here is between AC amperage and DC amperage. This unit provides up to 55A of DC power, and is making the conversion internally from a regular household 120V 15 amp outlet. Completely different than the AC amperage you need for a level two charger at home.

I have that same power supply. There is a switch that toggles it between charge mode and power supply mode. if I recall correctly, it comes in power supply mode from the factory. It works great for updates. Never a problem. And, I can use it to charge a 12V battery should the need arise. But, there are cheaper options if you just want the power supply. Just make sure you get a decent set of wires with alligator clips on one end.
Ok. That's what I didn't realize is that the power supply only needs 15 amp AC but it will produce 55 amp DC.

Thank you!

Babbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Bruboy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium, 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS550
Occupation
Semi-retired
Why mess with this???

1. FDRS comes with risks. It's meant to be used by dealers and shops. If something goes wrong you can brick your car. So using it is NOT for the faint of heart. It's not for the cheap of heart either, but we will get to that in a moment ?
  2. Seriously, you have been warned. FDRS and your car's hardware do have built in safety measures to prevent damage. But if something happens while following this guide, YOU are liable for any repair/replacement. If the idea that something could go wrong makes you squeamish, this is not for you.

Babbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why mess with this???

1. FDRS comes with risks. It's meant to be used by dealers and shops. If something goes wrong you can brick your car. So using it is NOT for the faint of heart. It's not for the cheap of heart either, but we will get to that in a moment ?
  2. Seriously, you have been warned. FDRS and your car's hardware do have built in safety measures to prevent damage. But if something happens while following this guide, YOU are liable for any repair/replacement. If the idea that something could go wrong makes you squeamish, this is not for you.
I agree that FDRS comes with risk and I'm not going to do anything yet. I'm just getting everything setup and when I get a little extra money will get the hardware. I posted because I have an electrician coming in and wanted to make sure that I don't need anything additional.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Why mess with this???

Because as enthusiasts, we are willing to take on the risk. The actual risk of bricking the car is infitessimally small. It also is not strictly meant for dealers, which is why there are tiers to the credential authentication. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Note that the software is Ford Diagnostic and Repair System. Most states have a “Right to Repair” law of some sort. The software can be used to repair many issues that may crop up. 😊🐩

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Why mess with this???

We're on page 293 of the thread dedicated to the updating of our cars using FDRS (Ford Diagnostic and Repair System) and a new member with a total of two posts so far, is telling somebody else who's interested in how to do it that you can "brick your car."

What's wrong with this picture?

LeanneL

First Name
Leanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTP
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I agree that FDRS comes with risk and I'm not going to do anything yet. I'm just getting everything setup and when I get a little extra money will get the hardware. I posted because I have an electrician coming in and wanted to make sure that I don't need anything additional.
Coming from someone who jumped off the deep end and ran with FDRS, it's not as bad as Bruboy is making out. There is enough support on this forum, that if you do mess something up, they will help you figure it out! I am speaking from 100% experience.

Proceed cautiously, read the posts, and follow the directions and you will be fine. My biggest advice, DO NOT skimp on the power supply!

Jeff-NoVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
We're on page 293 of the thread dedicated to the updating of our cars using FDRS (Ford Diagnostic and Repair System) and a new member with a total of two posts so far, is telling somebody else who's interested in how to do it that you can "brick your car."

Not to mention, in all 293 pages of this thread AFAIK nobody has bricked their car.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not exaggerating when I state I have used FDRS to update 3 personal vehicles over a 2 1/2 year span and have likely surpassed 100 updates.

It's so obvious to me that FDRS was designed to be used by mechanics with less technology-prowess than the average nerd. The most important thing to know is that you should actually READ what the screen says. You know, follow the directions? :)
That, combined with the amazingly generous support offered by total strangers on the forum(s), and you will be just fine.

Bruboy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium, 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS550
Occupation
Semi-retired

You don't know me or my background. I was just asking why the risk, that's all.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Why mess with this???

You don't know me or my background. I was just asking why the risk, that's all.
You’re being overly dramatic.

This is the longest currently active thread on the forum. Not a single car has been bricked all the time it’s been around. People who critically read the programs screen information and the instructions will have no more issues than a trained technician would. Probably fewer in fact. There’s also nothing you can do in FDRS that can’t be undone should it come to that.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
It's a tool for the toolbox, if you are someone who enjoys taking matters into your own hands.

Even at 66, I still enjoy climbing under the truck and changing my own oil.
Or putting the Porsche on the rack and doing the same.

The EV is an interesting new platform for an old DIY'er. About all there is to do is rotate tires and check those sweet Brembo brake pads.
But that's misleading because it's really a software vehicle and so FDRS is the DIY wrench.

I personally enjoy the research, and community that sprung up around the whole Ford electrification effort. And considering the messiness right out of the gate, DIY FDRS is awesome!

I don't fault those that choose to wait on Ford to deliver what they promise. But if I don't have to wait in line, I'm not going to. :)

I've thoroughly enjoyed my Powerboost and FDRS has played a significant role in that ownership experience. Huge, in fact.
Less so, at this point, with the new GTPE. But in all fairness it was delivered much more equipped, software wise. The machine is fantastic! Especially for it being a legacy automotive manufacturers first EV. In that context I'm impressed. Warts and all.

Thank you Ford for allowing me access to the toolbox on my terms.
Sponsored