Tips for new Mustang Mach-E Owners

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Winter is a rough time to be a new BEV driver. Post your tips, experiences, and good habits for increasing range here.

I sent this to a new owner and thought I'd share it here.

I set my BEV's to finish charging about 30 minutes before I'm ready to leave (to whatever % I need, rarely over 75-80%), and about that time (I get a text) I'll start the preheater so that it's about 80* inside. While still plugged in of course. I don't have a really long commute so on most days with the heated steering wheel and heated seats, I don't even use the heater except when the front/side window starts to fog up. My range is down to about 3.5m/kWh in my 2020 Bolt and 2.9m/kWh in the MB B-class 250e. If you don't have heated seats, get a tiny electric blanket that will run off a 12v or tiny inverter. I also use "Rain-x" on the inside of my windshield to prevent fogging.

My point was to always preheat in the winter.
Sponsored

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I haven’t used rain-x on the inside windshield. I will try that!

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
The preheat/climate button on our MB B-Class was very helpful not only for range but one of those "luxury" items we got used to as a new EV driver. Not concerned about range with the MME after coming from the 85/100 of the B, but using this feature is one of the best tips around- get the cabin to temp while it's plugged in before leaving and use the heated seats if you got them for the drive.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Note that on the Mach-E you can set all this up so it happens automatically.

Just tell the car you leave by 7am every day and to make it "hot" (use the highest temp). Sure you'll be sweating but the car won't use any heat for a lot of your drive as it will be warmer in the car than the heating setpoint (and you've heated the car up with power from the wall instead of the battery).

Once setup you just get in the car and drive without another thought.

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Those free L2 chargers at the store, that are a waste of time because they only add a few miles, are great for keeping your car warm or cool while you shop. ...while still adding miles.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I haven’t used rain-x on the inside windshield. I will try that!
Rain-X makes an anti-fog version for use on the inside glass. I've not used it so I have no idea if it's really better than traditional Rain-X (which I love) or just a marketing ploy.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Winter is a rough time to be a new BEV driver. Post your tips, experiences, and good habits for increasing range here.

I set my BEV's to finish charging about 30 minutes before I'm ready to leave (to whatever % I need, rarely over 75-80%), and about that time (I get a text) I'll start the preheater so that it's about 80* inside. While still plugged in of course. I don't have a really long commute so on most days with the heated steering wheel and heated seats, I don't even use the heater except when the front/side window starts to fog up. My range is down to about 3.5m/kWh in my 2020 Bolt and 2.9m/kWh in the MB B-class 250e. If you don't have heated seats, get a tiny electric blanket that will run off a 12v or tiny inverter. I also use "Rain-x" on the inside of my windshield to prevent fogging.

I like that you mention finishing charging shortly before you are ready to go, I have noticed that I get better battery performance when doing that, as the battery is all warmed up. My Clarity needs all it can get this time of year on it's 14kwh battery, and what you discuss absolutely helps. Fortunately I work from home so no commute.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do appreciate all the advise that is mentioned here in the post. This seems a lot of work and time spent getting the car ready to drive. With the charger supplied with the car, can the car be programmed for what your talking about? I was hoping to charge the car only once a week.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
With the charger supplied with the car, can the car be programmed for what your talking about? I was hoping to charge the car only once a week.
Yes, the scheduling is done from the car, not the charger. Just make sure it's plugged into a 240v outlet because there won't be enough power from a 120v outlet to precondition without using the battery.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, makes me feel more comfortable owning my first electric vehicle.

:)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yes, the scheduling is done from the car, not the charger. Just make sure it's plugged into a 240v outlet because there won't be enough power from a 120v outlet to precondition without using the battery.
sorry just want to touch on this - I know from years of experience on my 2013 Fusion Energi it won't activate climate / preconditioning ("Go Times") on 120V, only 240V (I've had people argue with me about this on FB but they are wrong; I've parked dozens of times at the airport on 120V and know it never does it on 120V).

Are you saying that the Mach-E won't do it on 120V either, or it will just use battery to do so but it will do it (so basically on 120V you end up doing a net battery loss, just less than without the 120V)? I don't remember seeing anything around this in the manuals.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag

RainX. Also you may want to try cheap dish soap on a paper towel. Just wipe it on and it works the same as RainX. Used it on my goggles and full face helmets when riding in winter.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
sorry just want to touch on this - I know from years of experience on my 2013 Fusion Energi it won't activate climate / preconditioning ("Go Times") on 120V, only 240V (I've had people argue with me about this on FB but they are wrong; I've parked dozens of times at the airport on 120V and know it never does it on 120V).

Are you saying that the Mach-E won't do it on 120V either, or it will just use battery to do so but it will do it (so basically on 120V you end up doing a net battery loss, just less than without the 120V)? I don't remember seeing anything around this in the manuals.
I guess I don't really know. I had assumed that it would be able to precondition, regardless of whether it's plugged in. What if I have 100% battery and am willing to sacrifice some of that to have the car warm when I leave work? I hope we won't be restricted from doing that.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I guess I don't really know. I had assumed that it would be able to precondition, regardless of whether it's plugged in. What if I have 100% battery and am willing to sacrifice some of that to have the car warm when I leave work? I hope we won't be restricted from doing that.
this is a good question for folks that have their cars and are willing to experiment I guess.

if nobody has played before I get mine in a month ?, I'll play with it some, because I really would like to know this answer.
Sponsored