Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE Premium
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I searched through the threads and couldn't find any posts on this topic. My MME had about 15K miles on it. I walked by my right rear tire after parking and noticed a six inch long uneven split on the side of my tire. Suffice to say going down to the dealership tomorrow morning, but this is a little beyond unnerving. Is this a known defect? 🤔
Sponsored

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I'm guessing the same. Something damaged the sidewall of the tire and it will require either one or two tire replacement (depending on the tread depth of the left rear tire).

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
By chance, you weren't charging on a public level 2 charger and refused to move it after topping off?

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Tire Rack has the ability to sell you a new tire and wear it out to the same tread depth of the other three you have. It’s really important to have 4 tires with matching tread depth.

Last edited:

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Tire Rack has the ability to sell you a new tire and wear it out to the same thread depth of the other three you have. It’s really important to have 4 tires with matching thread depth.
It is important if waiting money is important. Never even considered someone would intentionally wear down a tire to match thread depth, but I guess it would be in the category of "legal scam" like nitrogen and similar. Worse case, two new tires, match axles.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is important if waiting money is important. Never even considered someone would intentionally wear down a tire to match thread depth, but I guess it would be in the category of "legal scam" like nitrogen and similar. Worse case, two new tires, match axles.
Go educate yourself on the impact of thread depth in an EV before spewing bullshit about stuff you know nothing about. What an ignorant comment.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Go educate yourself on the impact of thread depth in an EV before spewing bullshit about stuff you know nothing about. What an ignorant comment.
That we have to get new tires as soon as the tires has lost a mm of thread depth?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Ditto!
In several states I have resided in it is illegal to reduce the thread depth of a new tire and still sell it as new. Manufacturers have warranty's and a reseller offering to reduce that warranty even if not charging for it is just wrong and subject to prosecution if anything would happen to that tire and cause an accident or injury.

Just my devalued two cents here, your mileage may vary (Pun intended);)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I would probably just get 4 new tires at 15K miles. They should be about 1/2 way through life, if not more.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ditto!
In several states I have resided in it is illegal to reduce the thread depth of a new tire and still sell it as new. Manufacturers have warranty's and a reseller offering to reduce that warranty even if not charging for it is just wrong and subject to prosecution if anything would happen to that tire and cause an accident or injury.

Just my devalued two cents here, your mileage may vary (Pun intended);)
Who said they’d be selling it as new, or with warranty? If this happens to you, by all means don’t do it.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would probably just get 4 new tires at 15K miles. They should be about 1/2 way through life, if not more.
Not too sure about that. Highly depends on the trim. Many members reported good wear on the Michelin all seasons.
Sponsored