Tracking the HVB State of Health - how much decline is normal?

If you have 20,000 miles or more, what is the SoH of your HVB?

• Total voters

Niko

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD ER 2021
Occupation
Quality Engeneer
Country flag
Hello,
I just bought an OBDII and did a first test.
The Mach-E is an AWD ER 2021: 28000 Km. Bought second-hand (dealership car) at 10,000 km two years ago.
Strangely, the SOH is at 87.5%, but at 100% SOC I have an EtE of 86.75 Kwh. This should give a SOH of 95.33% based on a useful capacity of 91 Kwh.
For your information, I've had an HVJB fault and an HVJB change.
I don't understand this difference
Sponsored

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Hello,
I just bought an OBDII and did a first test.
The Mach-E is an AWD ER 2021: 28000 Km. Bought second-hand (dealership car) at 10,000 km two years ago.
Strangely, the SOH is at 87.5%, but at 100% SOC I have an EtE of 86.75 Kwh. This should give a SOH of 95.33% based on a useful capacity of 91 Kwh.
For your information, I've had an HVJB fault and an HVJB change.
I don't understand this difference
You probably need to recalibrate the BMS.

@Mach-Lee wrote up a post for how to do that. I will see if I can find his post, but basically you need to charge the car to 100%, drive it down to around 10%, and then charge it back up to 100%.

I agree with you: the EtE at 100% and SoC should be pretty close. Not exactly the same, but your difference is not normal, I don't think.

MACHEMIKE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Country flag
Reassuring. Thank you for the great info.

Niko

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD ER 2021
Occupation
Quality Engeneer
Country flag
You probably need to recalibrate the BMS.

@Mach-Lee wrote up a post for how to do that. I will see if I can find his post, but basically you need to charge the car to 100%, drive it down to around 10%, and then charge it back up to 100%.

I agree with you: the EtE at 100% and SoC should be pretty close. Not exactly the same, but your difference is not normal, I don't think.
Thanks, yes I found the post, i will do the process in few days.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
25,069 miles and @95% SOH.

Batt age showing at 26.7 mos., which must be when the system controls were functional. Assembly line work was complete by 7/9/21, but was moved to a staging lot until 9/19/21 when the final chip(s) was/were installed and the bill of lading created.

Didn't load on KCS for another month and then sat in KC for another month before being dropped at the dealer in mid-Dec.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
25,069 miles and @95% SOH.

Batt age showing at 26.7 mos., which must be when the system controls were functional. Assembly line work was complete by 7/9/21, but was moved to a staging lot until 9/19/21 when the final chip(s) was/were installed and the bill of lading created.

Didn't load on KCS for another month and then sat in KC for another month before being dropped at the dealer in mid-Dec.
My HV SoH was around that until c65,000miles when I’d fell slightly, now at 75,000miles is around the 94% mark.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have updated the OP with the latest data from my car. Hopefully this will help people who are wondering about what to expect.

I am a new BEV owner, so this is all new to me as well. And I was not happy at all with the initial decline. Now that is appears to have stabilized, I am feeling better about the future with this car. Hopefully the SoH will remain in this general vicinity for a long time.

I will keep reporting!

Mache_Nor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE LR RWD
Country flag
I have updated the OP with the latest data from my car. Hopefully this will help people who are wondering about what to expect.

I am a new BEV owner, so this is all new to me as well. And I was not happy at all with the initial decline. Now that is appears to have stabilized, I am feeling better about the future with this car. Hopefully the SoH will remain in this general vicinity for a long time.

I will keep reporting!
Good to hear, and seems to be in line with other EVs; initially +- 5% drop the first year and then slowly degrade afterwards. My first gen Nissan Leaf (2015h with a measly 24 kwh battery is still between 85-90% after 135 000 km, and that has been regularly driven to low % and kept at 100% for hours on daily basis. If that poor thing is still somewhat functional after all this, I’m hoping that we’ll see 4-500 000 km before battery is below 80% capacity.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Good to hear, and seems to be in line with other EVs; initially +- 5% drop the first year and then slowly degrade afterwards. My first gen Nissan Leaf (2015h with a measly 24 kwh battery is still between 85-90% after 135 000 km, and that has been regularly driven to low % and kept at 100% for hours on daily basis. If that poor thing is still somewhat functional after all this, I’m hoping that we’ll see 4-500 000 km before battery is below 80% capacity.
🤞

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
2023 Select AWD - MFD: 12/22.

CarScanner says my SOH is at 98.5 with 5400 miles driven at the one year anniversary of the build date. I picked up the car from the dealer on 03/10/23.
Sponsored