Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
I’ve thought all along that the phantom hatch openings weren’t caused by kick-to-open. This adds some credence to my hypothesis.
well, i feel like there are enough bugs in the software that there can be more than one cause for this behavior... certainly these proximity sensors can be fooled by random stuff.

It's really not far fetched at all. The RGTM is located inside the rear hatch, and it can get water in it if there's a leak. I want to say it's below the tail light. It's been a while, so i don't remember specifically.
i guess if i were designing these things that extra pin would be passivated somehow on the MME, like with a MME-specific connector that plugs that hole on the connector. but i guess it's a little belt-and-suspenders as in theory there should not be water inside the body.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It's really not far fetched at all. The RGTM is located inside the rear hatch, and it can get water in it if there's a leak. I want to say it's below the tail light. It's been a while, so i don't remember specifically.
It's right below the rear glass, so I don't think it would get wet directly unless there was a leak around the glass. More likely to me it's one of the buttons shorting out at the bottom which are at a low spot. High humidity inside the cavity from water intrusion could also cause circuit board corrosion since the inside of the trunk is supposed to be a dry space.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! Mach-E RGTM

3-jpg.jpg

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
I hoped with the flurry of updates that came to the cars in the last couple weeks this issue would be fixed, but as I walked up to the car after lunch today:

PXL_20230327_191854140.jpg

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I hoped with the flurry of updates that came to the cars in the last couple weeks this issue would be fixed, but as I walked up to the car after lunch today:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! PXL_20230327_191854140
Do you have KtO turned on?

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say about this but I think I can say that tomorrow they are going to start swapping my entire trunk to send my old one back to their lab to figure out why this is happening.
Jealous. You always get special attention from Ford.

Me; my open Ford case for eight months has not produced much results. My ghost opening is on video, post # 198. When I questioned what Ford Corp would do when the dealer says "we can't reproduce the issue" they went silent. I asked Ford Corp by email for over eight months and Ford would not respond.

A month ago, I took my MME for recalls (glass, roof, and brake pulsating which has reappeared, but Ford cannot reproduce, SMH). The front glass broke and a month later still waiting to get the car back. A Ford tech is going to work with the dealer next week on the ghost opening. Ford Corp told me a couple weeks ago they will fix but have since backtracked. They know this is an issue, it is on video but some of us get the run around for months. Has anyone else gotten anywhere with Ford regarding fixing the damage?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Jealous. You always get special attention from Ford.
Please don't be... I'm doing this to help everyone. I'm not sure if it's a fix at all. Additionally, I hope the paint matches since DMG isn't even a color they use on the MME anymore. My car has been dead since the 15th of last month with a faulty oil pump (yeah we have that). Nothing to be jealous about unless you like driving loaners from Enterprise and paying $40 a day out off pocket for it.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Please don't be... I'm doing this to help everyone. I'm not sure if it's a fix at all. Additionally, I hope the paint matches since DMG isn't even a color they use on the MME anymore. My car has been dead since the 15th of last month with a faulty oil pump (yeah we have that). Nothing to be jealous about unless you like driving loaners from Enterprise and paying $40 a day out off pocket for it.
Sorry to hear. Bummer.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say about this but I think I can say that tomorrow they are going to start swapping my entire trunk to send my old one back to their lab to figure out why this is happening.
Why am I reminded of the Rocky Horror Picture Show by your comment? I can’t help but wonder what’s on Ford’s slab? 😀😀😀😀😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
At least it’s not IB. I don’t think Ford uses IB on ANY vehicles any more 😢

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I was curious about the pump repair. Looks like the "update" the dealer originally proposed did not solve the problem?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I was curious about the pump repair. Looks like the "update" the dealer originally proposed did not solve the problem?
Honestly, there's no update at all. The dealership has gone from bad to unresponsive and complete dog shit. Ford corporate can't even get them to respond. They've given multiple days of completion and the car is still sitting in the parking lot. I've put in a reservation for an R1T and will likely be parting ways with Ford.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Honestly, there's no update at all. The dealership has gone from bad to unresponsive and complete dog shit. Ford corporate can't even get them to respond. They've given multiple days of completion and the car is still sitting in the parking lot. I've put in a reservation for an R1T and will likely be parting ways with Ford.
Wow. I am so sorry to hear that. You have got to be one of the most helpful and best suited people to help both Ford and the end user perfect the MME and Ford is seemingly dropping the ball on it. I completely understand the desire to move on. How far out is Rivian out these days on the R1T?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Wow. I am so sorry to hear that. You have got to be one of the most helpful and best suited people to help both Ford and the end user perfect the MME and Ford is seemingly dropping the ball on it. I completely understand the desire to move on. How far out is Rivian out these days on the R1T?
Thanks for the kind words... I'm a very patient person and I enjoy making minor sacrifices for the greater good, but I'm at $1200 spent in a rental and can't even get someone to give me an update. It's caused me to just check out. It's definitely a dealership issue, but that shouldn't be my burden.

R1T times are 1-4 months.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thanks for the kind words... I'm a very patient person and I enjoy making minor sacrifices for the greater good, but I'm at $1200 spent in a rental and can't even get someone to give me an update. It's caused me to just check out. It's definitely a dealership issue, but that shouldn't be my burden.

R1T times are 1-4 months.
Todd, this forum will be poorer after you leave. I hope you enjoy the R1T. Did you order the max pack? I guess not because I don't think those are getting delivered yet.
Sponsored