UHaul branded hitch install?

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Picking up the Mach-E this week, and need a bike rack, so we’re looking at hitches. The local UHaul will do everything for $560, and has the parts. I’ve normally always installed my own hitches, but as this one requires cutting plastic, and it’s my SO’s car that has to look nice, I’m inclined to go to a pro. Anyone have experience with the Uhaul hitches?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
U-Haul doesn't make trailer hitches. They are made by Curt, Draw-Tite, B&W, REESE, and Hidden Hitch.

On etrailer.com, it comes up with Draw-Tite and Curt. Note the difference in tongue weight capacity.

Looks like you're paying $250 for labor, which is pretty outrageous.

OP
OP
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
U-Haul doesn't make trailer hitches. They are made by Curt, Draw-Tite, B&W, REESE, and Hidden Hitch.

On etrailer.com, it comes up with Draw-Tite and Curt. Note the difference in tongue weight capacity.

Looks like you're paying $250 for labor, which is pretty outrageous.
The install is $150, the hitch itself is $224, plus the various other parts like wiring, ball, the bar the ball attaches to. Don’t have the estimate in front of me at the moment.

OP
OP
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Found it :
Installation Package
Product Subtotal:$348.75
Installation Fee:$168.00
Tax:$42.63
Total:$559.38

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The install is $150, the hitch itself is $224, plus the various other parts like wiring, ball, the bar the ball attaches to. Don’t have the estimate in front of me at the moment.
If you're using it for a bike rack, you don't need trailer wiring, nor the ball, nor the ball mount bar, just the receiver. If you're going to tow, make sure you read the specs of the hitch for max weights, and understand that the Mach-E is NOT rated for towing. If you have mechanical problems down the road, and have a hitch installed, the dealer and Ford MAY try to connect the dots.

OP
OP
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Yeah, I did tell my SO all of this, and she still wants the wiring in case she wants to pull a trailer of dirt for the yard or move a fridge. The hitch is rated for 2000#, so that kind of towing is all it can do. My question was to see if anyone has used UHaul, and was the experience good? Did the installer do a clean, nice looking job, or should I buy something online and pay a body shop to install it. She’s a real estate broker, her car has to look nice, so can’t have a janky hole in the bumper, needs to be clean and fitted to the receiver as best as possible, or too low to see.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It really depends on the competence of the local U-Haul dealer. Some can be quite good while others hire minimum wage workers that barely know how to turn a wrench. I had a sealer install a brake controller for me on a need it now basis and it went ok. For trailer hitches I've always used a good local mechanic.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Picking up the Mach-E this week, and need a bike rack, so we’re looking at hitches. The local UHaul will do everything for $560, and has the parts. I’ve normally always installed my own hitches, but as this one requires cutting plastic, and it’s my SO’s car that has to look nice, I’m inclined to go to a pro. Anyone have experience with the Uhaul hitches?
I don’t have a hitch on the MME, but I’ve gotten U-Haul hitches on many other cars. One big advantage is that they are covered by a lifetime unlimited warranty, which means they will replace it for free for any reason. I’ve had several replaced over the years as soon as any rust on them is visible.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah, I did tell my SO all of this, and she still wants the wiring in case she wants to pull a trailer of dirt for the yard or move a fridge. The hitch is rated for 2000#, so that kind of towing is all it can do. My question was to see if anyone has used UHaul, and was the experience good? Did the installer do a clean, nice looking job, or should I buy something online and pay a body shop to install it. She’s a real estate broker, her car has to look nice, so can’t have a janky hole in the bumper, needs to be clean and fitted to the receiver as best as possible, or too low to see.
In case of an accident, the hitch may be rated for 2000# but the Mach E is not.

There are multiple threads on here about hitch installations.

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
If your SO is in the US, then her Mach E is rated to tow 0#.

OP
OP
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
If your SO is in the US, then her Mach E is rated to tow 0#.
I am aware. She’s is aware. She intends to accept the risk. Hopefully my Bronco will get built so she never has to make that decision for real.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Woohoo! Can't wait for you to pick up your Mach-E! :)

volyblmn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1 (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
I am aware. She’s is aware. She intends to accept the risk. Hopefully my Bronco will get built so she never has to make that decision for real.
Did you ever get the hitch installed? How did it turn out?

OP
OP
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Can't get a picture at the moment, but it was super clean. The cutout in the shield was clean, and low enough you can't even see it. However, my gf called around, and chose the UHaul whose hitch technician had been there for years, to get the best guy. It was nice enough I used the same dealer for my Bronco.
Sponsored