DiscWiz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape, F250
Country flag
I have an AWD Extended range and when I charge it I get about 160 miles Estimated Range on an 85% charge. I would have expected closer to 230 mile Estimated Range: 270 X .85 = 230 Estimated Range. It's reasonably warm here, 62 deg yesterday, but I do drive a bit aggressively, new toy. The the miles are mostly highway miles and I drive about 8 miles over the speed limit at 78 mph.

After 66 miles of actual driving yesterday my estimated range decreased by only 48 miles. This puts the estimated range at 72% of the real world driving. If I factor in the 72% value into the 270 miles I expect I am in the ball park: 270 Est Range X 72% Real World X 84% Charge = 163 Miles Estimated Range. This lines up pretty close to what I am seeing. Is this reasonable? Are others seeing the Estimated Range at 72% Real World? Does the car just need more time to figure out how to better estimate?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Understanding Real World Estimated Range 1614517507383
Ford Mustang Mach-E Understanding Real World Estimated Range 1614517594979

And for those of you who are still waiting. Your going to love the car!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The best way to get a true reading on range is to multiply the reported mi/kwh for your driving by 88 * charge%. The range estimator (aka "guess-o-meter") is clearly being very conservative, presumably intentionally until it learns your driving habits. This has been noted in many threads at this point.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The best way to get a true reading on range is to multiply the reported mi/kwh for your driving by 88 * charge%. The range estimator (aka "guess-o-meter") is clearly being very conservative, presumably intentionally until it learns your driving habits. This has been noted in many threads at this point.
I agree.
I am seeing a pretty consistent 3.5 mi/kWh driving my FE around town, mostly freeway speeds around 68-72 mph with some surface streets mixed in here and there with mild weather. (High 60s -low 70s). When I started my day the estimated range said 250 which is quite conservative. If I were to calculate 3.5 mi/kWh x 88 then range would be a little over 300 I think.

I think reality is somewhere in between the two. Maybe 275-280 miles? I have only had the car for 3 days. FordPass says 529 miles so far. After a couple of weeks have passed, I would be interested to see if the range estimation is more adjusted to my driving habits.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just got in the morning to start my day and it says 260 estimated range. So, it is learning.....
?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Mostly non highway mixed driving I am seeing 3.5 per kWh with lots of stop and go.

May be related bu any insight into what the Ext Temp related consumption means when you look at the where my energy went. I drove recently about 60 miles with inside temp set to 72 and outside it was about 60 or 70. The trip energy consumption bar showed a good thirty percent going to the last box external temp. Not sure what that is.

edit: found answer to my question. It shows:
This includes energy losses due to outside temperature and other conditions which reduce vehicle system efficiency.

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
over a few days, my charge after reset when I took it home, full estimate has crept up to 250. But we have had several days in low 50's which has helped.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
How are your regen statistics? Are you using one-pedal-driving?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Mostly non highway mixed driving I am seeing 3.5 per kWh with lots of stop and go.

May be related bu any insight into what the Ext Temp related consumption means when you look at the where my energy went. I drove recently about 60 miles with inside temp set to 72 and outside it was about 60 or 70. The trip energy consumption bar showed a good thirty percent going to the last box external temp. Not sure what that is.

edit: found answer to my question. It shows:
This includes energy losses due to outside temperature and other conditions which reduce vehicle system efficiency.
On your next meaningful drive in those same temps. Pull up that screen and drive the first half of your route with 1PD turned off and Engage selected. Then try the return trip with 1PD turned on and see if there is a difference in that last reading.

I just drove back from breakfast with my wife and the drive was about 8 miles or so. 56 degrees. That last reading was 0% for that trip.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
On your next meaningful drive in those same temps. Pull up that screen and drive the first half of your route with 1PD turned off and Engage selected. Then try the return trip with 1PD turned on and see if there is a difference in that last reading.

I just drove back from breakfast with my wife and the drive was about 8 miles or so. 56 degrees. That last reading was 0% for that trip.
Ok will try thanks

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
How are your regen statistics? Are you using one-pedal-driving?
Where do I find regency stats. Break coach ? It only shows break coach in engage which is my default but not in whisper. Or watch for battery gain ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Ok will try thanks
Cool. Not sure what you will find. Still gathering data myself. I am pretty sure that last section (Exterior Temp) measures energy consumed by the thermal management system for the HVB, IDM and electronics.

Short trip to the grocery store....
Notice exterior temp is 61 degrees but climate control is set to 73 degrees. No energy used for climate control and no energy used to cool the BEMCS (battery, electric and motor control systems). ?

This is a clue that the heat from the BEMCS is being used to heat the cabin. If so, that is a very excellent system that Ford has designed.

Need more data. :)

20210228_112403.jpg

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This is a clue that the heat from the BEMCS is being used to heat the cabin. If so, that is a very excellent system that Ford has designed.
bUt No HeAt PuMp
Sponsored