Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico

tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Way to miss the point. Cute. Where was it said in any of my few posts here "I want to get my car first?" Critical reading is your friend.

Apparently, some do not understand what a few of the Ford "insiders" have been saying. Awhile back @trutolife mentioned the production rate for cars at the Cuautitlan Stamping & Assembly plant was 124 cars per week. Per week. Sometime after that, an update mentioned a somewhat higher number along with information about slowly ramping up production. All understandable, and in fact, proper but it is slow. Now, we're finding out that FCTP cars are rolling over into MP2. Plus, we're getting late November build-weeks for real customers, e.g those who are not on Ford's internal leasing programs, VIPs, or large corporate customers. That leaves 5 weeks or so for real-world customer car production. At a substantially slower rate than full production.

It should be painfully obvious to people that full production rates will not be achieved until sometime in January 2021, after the return from the Christmas season plant shutdown. We're going to be lucky if we see a total of 2,000 real-world customer cars produced this year. That includes MP1 and MP2. And I'd bet we don't see anywhere near that number either. A literal handful of each trimline will actually be delivered by year's end to meet the PR claims of late 2020 delivery.

And that's why Ford needs to communicate a fair bit better with the customers who have lined up with 60,000 USD (and more) to buy a MME. Production isn't going to resemble normal for quite some time and delays have the potential to be significantly longer than the already changed delivery targets. We're being prepared for it by apparent employees of Ford instead of by Ford Motor Company. That's not a good way to communicate.
Exactly correct. The issue is Ford lost control of the narrative. The forum became a substitute and frankly some of the information (speculation) was just wrong (like your reservation time will be the priority for shipping. I don't think Ford ever said that, but repeat anything enough nd people believe it. ) And how much confidence can you have in OTA updates on the car when Ford has been unable to make stable changes in Ford.com and link it to order system. I'm in the camp of show me the car and I'll decide if I still want it. It will be a year out from reservation and literally years in waiting for the launch. And to fanboys, yes it's just a car, but it's not the only car choice we have.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I guess I owe you an apology for not having proper critical reading skills. I should have known that this 1 sentence:

Yeah that line is getting old too
didn't mean you were tired of hearing the "covid excuse", but actually meant this:

Apparently, some do not understand what a few of the Ford "insiders" have been saying. Awhile back @trutolife mentioned the production rate for cars at the Cuautitlan Stamping & Assembly plant was 124 cars per week. Per week. Sometime after that, an update mentioned a somewhat higher number along with information about slowly ramping up production. All understandable, and in fact, proper but it is slow. Now, we're finding out that FCTP cars are rolling over into MP2. Plus, we're getting late November build-weeks for real customers, e.g those who are not on Ford's internal leasing programs, VIPs, or large corporate customers. That leaves 5 weeks or so for real-world customer car production. At a substantially slower rate than full production.

It should be painfully obvious to people that full production rates will not be achieved until sometime in January 2021, after the return from the Christmas season plant shutdown. We're going to be lucky if we see a total of 2,000 real-world customer cars produced this year. That includes MP1 and MP2. And I'd bet we don't see anywhere near that number either. A literal handful of each trimline will actually be delivered by year's end to meet the PR claims of late 2020 delivery.

And that's why Ford needs to communicate a fair bit better with the customers who have lined up with 60,000 USD (and more) to buy a MME. Production isn't going to resemble normal for quite some time and delays have the potential to be significantly longer than the already changed delivery targets. We're being prepared for it by apparent employees of Ford instead of by Ford Motor Company. That's not a good way to communicate.

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yes. About $55 for an ICE in OH, $100 for a Hybrid, and $200 for any vehicle with a plug. PHEV or BEV in Ohio. Thank you Koch brothers and ALEC. And no, I don’t need another lesson on the gas tax and road repair.
It's actually slightly worse than that for us, because the $100 and $200 are a surcharge on top of the registration fee: State of Ohio BMV

My total this year, including the relatively small upcharges for a personalized plate and a special interest plate, was $331.42. Last year was "only" $129.91.

Of course, given that the car will be $60,000 before sales tax, it's kind of tough to complain about $200 with a straight face. It hurts a lot more on the Fusion Energi.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Well. happy weekend everyone. I'm awake now and had some coffee and time to reflect on some of the comments.

As I hear more info from ford is needed more for ford. I took the time to go back and read and look at many different auto manufacturers' launches of their vehicles.

How many had a special webcast for the launch of the vehicle?
How many had special webcast on different aspects of the vehicle?
How many are launching tours across America to see the vehicle?
Going from ice to a BEV, total new vehicle.

You have different companies trying to do business in each country and in each state. Each state has different rules with what you can or cannot do because of covid 19.

Some of the problems are on certain states' rules because of covid 19. Ford has had to change the shipping around to find ways to make it work. If some only knew part of the delay has to do with incoming shipments to that state. So maybe if you knew you could be upset with where you live.
You have states not letting workers go back to work while others could. So yes you can get this part but no can't do this. Dealers trying to show the mache have to follow the rules of where they live to show the mache.

So much of this is out of fords plan. I remember last week I was supposed to pick up happy meals for my kids on the way home. Pulled in and on the drive-thru said sorry closed for covid 19 cleanings. No warning no sign in the sky like batman saying we are closed. So now I'm supposed to be made and hate Mcdonalds?

If the mache was being built in North America the delay would be even longer. With the trade war with China. Going to Mexico with the parts kinda bypasses the delay there would have been.
Then when America was starting up Mexico was still shut down. Ford and other companies begged and pleaded with Mexico to get things back open.

Then there was a big problem with logistics getting the mache from Mexico to here with covid. Can't go deep into but out of ford control.

I get some people who will miss out on tax credit. I get people want the mache. When it was first put online said late 2020. Late 2020 is in November and December. With covid, I still don't see how ford is only a few weeks behind. Blows my mind how they were able to keep up as much as they did. The hummer supposed to have all 4 of the models done and ready by 2022 now 2024. two more year delay.
The plant for the ID4 in Tennessee is behind already. How much will that delay be?
Tesla well yeah tesla had delays on delays.

Your foreign carmakers Toyota, Nissan, Kia had shipments of cars, thousands on ships waiting to be unloaded for months because of covid. When they finally were able to get clearance to unload the dealerships were out of cars and no one was buying anymore. Toyota took a hit of over 41% in sales. A lot of those vehicles were just sent back to those countries and are trying to be sold there.

At the end of the day, it is amazing the mache is not delayed even more. There have been articles shocked how ford has kept up "ALL" of the production up of their vehicle line this year.

Another side note for you fellow mache fans. JD power report is done. Not fords fault it's not out. Jd power said it would take longer to release reports now. WHY BECAUSE OF COVID and they have people working from home.

Your EPA range well let's just say part of the delay on that also is not ford. But the EPA because of covid they are backlogged.

From my time spent in the military, there are a few things I learned that I'm grateful for.
Things never go right. Adapt overcome and move on.

I built a new computer for home back in May. Getting parts because of covid was a pain. You think with covid hitting hard now things are going to go smoother? One week my kids are in school the next week they are home back and forth. Sucks it is hard on me and my wife trying to work and balance family life. But adapt and overcome.

Ford is trying everyone super hard. They are doing a web series on youtube for Europe soon.
The ford workers in all the plants are working long long hours and hard to get what they make out to you the customers.

Just hang in there the mache is coming. I'm sorry this is not JG Wentworth I know you need it now.
Much of the information you’ve provided in the last few months has been top-notch, and we’re all truly grateful. However, your defense of Ford is lacking in one main area that has NOTHING to do with COVID - communication. Many of our issues and questions could have easily been addressed with timely emails explaining decisions, processes, timelines, and just regular updates in general. Instead, they leave people floundering and left to come up with answers ourselves—Which causes further debate. Yes, they’ve done a good job with explaining car features, how the car was designed, etc...but that’s not our question. The questions we have surrounding logistics, no one has even bothered to address. Don’t talk to me about “what other companies have done with their rollouts”. Ford shouldn’t be on par with other companies, the aim should be to surpass them. Again, this is all in their control, yet they have failed. If they communicated with us, at least we would have been able to understand. In the age of rapid global communication, Ford needs to comprehend that we want information on a more rapid basis.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Adapt overcome and move on. That is so true I had to do that in my work all the time and it makes me think of a movie with Clint Eastwood has a sergeant training young recruits who has said just that to is platoon of trainees.
Anyone that has ever served in the military (I’ve been serving for 24 years now) knows the quote: “No plan survives contact with the enemy”. This is what dictates the need to adapt and overcome. Oh...the movie you’re referring to is “Heartbreak Ridge”. Classic!!

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
The one thing people need to understand is that this ordering/delivery system is new to Ford as well. Could they have done better?? Sure. However with Covid and a brand new concept priorities likely change a lot. What I am glad is that there are people on this forum that have leaked info and for that I am thankful.
As for the military I am a vet. Everyone keeps quoting military stuff but they fail to quote non movie REAL quotes. My favorite and YES IT IS TRUE is.

HURRY UP AND WAIT.

time and again we would get ready for anything g and left standing around waiting for orders. There are as many military in actions as actions. As for Ford I can live with the lack of communication if ALL of their efforts were put into
1. Getting the car right the first time
2. Making up lost time from Covid as quickly as possible
3. Some of the leaks here could actually be intentional. Ford has way to many things to do and everything has to be prioritized. Even in the military back door usage is is used to calm the troops because that is just the way it is.

again thank you to those that leaked the info. For me I do NOT care how I get it as long as I get it. We did and so those of you Tesla lovers trying to rain on my parade I have two words for you.

SCREW YOU.

I am truly excited about getting my MME. I am excited to get a tech car from a major car manufacturer that did not take the government money and therefore has to bow to the political machine. I am glad that I was not forced to buy a BEV from a tech company playing at being a car company.

no question Tesla has paved the road for others to follow. Now that being said Ford was not stupid. Years ago they bought Volvo and stole their info on safety. Once they had it all they sold the company. That is how business is done. Ford bought a bunch of Tesla’s and tore them apart. Sure that saved them years of experimenting and likely hired a bunch of Tesla’s engineers as well. Just like the military brought in Nazi scientists instead of killing them.

I trust Ford and every aspect of it. There will be bumps and grinds along the way but EVERY business including Tesla has that too.

in short people chill out and let’s stay positive. The end is almost here.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Much of the information you’ve provided in the last few months has been top-notch, and we’re all truly grateful. However, your defense of Ford is lacking in one main area that has NOTHING to do with COVID - communication. Many of our issues and questions could have easily been addressed with timely emails explaining decisions, processes, timelines, and just regular updates in general. Instead, they leave people floundering and left to come up with answers ourselves—Which causes further debate. Yes, they’ve done a good job with explaining car features, how the car was designed, etc...but that’s not our question. The questions we have surrounding logistics, no one has even bothered to address. Don’t talk to me about “what other companies have done with their rollouts”. Ford shouldn’t be on par with other companies, the aim should be to surpass them. Again, this is all in their control, yet they have failed. If they communicated with us, at least we would have been able to understand. In the age of rapid global communication, Ford needs to comprehend that we want information on a more rapid basis.
I agree that Ford's communication has not been very good; they haven't publicized the road shows, mach drops or results of the mach drops at all. That is bad. BUT, even when they do communicate more details Ford will be villified anyway.

For example:
  • They dropped prices on all the models, and people got pissed that the limited First Edition's price dropped less than the premium.
  • Ford has kept the delivery dates nebulous specifically so they can't be skewered for missing an exact date. That nebulous wording ALWAYS had the premiums and FE in late 2020. During replanning this summer they changed that nebulous wording for Selects and Route 1's to the same nebulous "late 2020". Ford NEVER promised that the First Editions would ALL be delivered before any other model, and yet the torches and pitchforks have been out since last thursday, with no sign of being put away.
  • Ford ADDED a removable divider in the frunk for no apparent fee, and again there was consternation and bile heaped on the fact that it was screwed in with 2 easily removable screws. I know my son has been adept at taking screws out of things since he was 6, so it's not really a difficult skill. Out of curiosity, what good would a divider do that slides all over the place when a bag of groceries knocks it around during turns?

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
I agree that Ford's communication has not been very good; they haven't publicized the road shows, mach drops or results of the mach drops at all. That is bad. BUT, even when they do communicate more details Ford will be villified anyway.

For example:
  • They dropped prices on all the models, and people got pissed that the limited First Edition's price dropped less than the premium.
  • Ford has kept the delivery dates nebulous specifically so they can't be skewered for missing an exact date. That nebulous wording ALWAYS had the premiums and FE in late 2020. During replanning this summer they changed that nebulous wording for Selects and Route 1's to the same nebulous "late 2020". Ford NEVER promised that the First Editions would ALL be delivered before any other model, and yet the torches and pitchforks have been out since last thursday, with no sign of being put away.
  • Ford ADDED a removable divider in the frunk for no apparent fee, and again there was consternation and bile heaped on the fact that it was screwed in with 2 easily removable screws. I know my son has been adept at taking screws out of things since he was 6, so it's not really a difficult skill. Out of curiosity, what good would a divider do that slides all over the place when a bag of groceries knocks it around during turns?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico 1603641485125

?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Exactly correct. The issue is Ford lost control of the narrative. The forum became a substitute and frankly some of the information (speculation) was just wrong (like your reservation time will be the priority for shipping. I don't think Ford ever said that, but repeat anything enough nd people believe it. ) And how much confidence can you have in OTA updates on the car when Ford has been unable to make stable changes in Ford.com and link it to order system. I'm in the camp of show me the car and I'll decide if I still want it. It will be a year out from reservation and literally years in waiting for the launch. And to fanboys, yes it's just a car, but it's not the only car choice we have.
You raise an interesting point about reservations, I didn’t realize they hadn’t officially confirmed that it would be done sequentially. Still, to put it in perspective, the reservations do seem to be roughly sequential +/- a month, subject to factory efficiency in build order and region delivery. I think we’ll know more about this this week when the second round of scheduling occurs on Thursday.

It’s hurting people because of the unfortunate timing of this when we are right near the end of the year with all the tax credit implications of taking delivery in 2020 vs 2021, but stepping back from it for a moment, building in reservation order with adjustments for build/delivery efficiencies was sort of the expectation, with the exception of how FE’s have been handled. I think most people reasonably assumed that the price premium and name meant Ford had a plan for building FE’s out first.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You SOB's got a $1000 off the FE? Us Canadians got nothing!!!! That's it, i am pizzed, I quit and will never buy another Ford vehicle in my life. ???.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think most people reasonably assumed that the price premium and name meant Ford had a plan for building FE’s out first.
Yes, when they announced the car in November 2019 that was probably their plan. I imagine they intended to build the FE's and Premiums in volume, move them to staging areas, and then release them to dealers in a coordinated launch in Europe and North America.

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
DaveRuns, I TOTALLY agree. From November till May there were crickets from Ford. They have had, at least, 50K customers hand them $500 for the privelage of standing in line and, Ford chose to ignore the line. Absolutely no word on how the line is handled. They could have opened or joined the forums. Hell, assign a market intern to the forums. They could have done surveys found out more about their customers. Answered their avid customers questions! But no, crickets. And the dealership debacle, don't even get me started. It should have been handled MUCH better.
At this point, for me, the shine is starting to wear and I don't even have the car. And now, the $3600 dollar difference between a FE and Premium and, the fact that I'm sure to take delivery in 2021 of either, has me questioning the switch to FE.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
At this point, for me, the shine is starting to wear and I don't even have the car. And now, the $3600 dollar difference between a FE and Premium and, the fact that I'm sure to take delivery in 2021 of either, has me questioning the switch to FE.
Who from Ford told you that you would get the first edition trim in 2020? Or was that a "gamble" you chose to make based on an assumption, and now you're unhappy with the results of that gamble? Since it is a capitalist economy in a (currently) free democracy, you are free to cancel the FE and/or the premium.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
DaveRuns, I TOTALLY agree. From November till May there were crickets from Ford. They have had, at least, 50K customers hand them $500 for the privelage of standing in line and, Ford chose to ignore the line. Absolutely no word on how the line is handled. They could have opened or joined the forums. Hell, assign a market intern to the forums. They could have done surveys found out more about their customers. Answered their avid customers questions! But no, crickets. And the dealership debacle, don't even get me started. It should have been handled MUCH better.
My opinion is that I think you are going a little bit dramatic.
1. Buying a car based on tax implications is your issue not ford. The reality is the tax incentives should be a BONUS and not THE reason to buy the car

2. yes ford could have handled communications better but let’s put this into perspective. Covid created a havoc of unforeseen issues. Not just local like employee safety but suppliers as well. Fords main concern was developing a NEW concept and getting it to market while ICE production cratered and expenses going through the roof. It is easy to be a recliner CEO. It is different from being the one responsible for it all. Ford did what I think is the only thing they could do. They turned a blind eye and let people leak information. It is effective and allows them to focus on what matters.

3. it was your choice from the moment the reveal was over to jump on the bandwagon and choose your trim and battery level. If you took your time or changed your mind then that is on you and not ford.

4. in short you are blaming Ford for what you decided/not decided to do. Technically I decided in July to buy a second MME. I-tried to upgrade it to an FE as I have major clout with the dealership. Guess what??? NO DEAL. Ok I have to live with my screw up in not ordering two simultaneously. Do I blame Ford? NO. Do I wish there was a way that if my dealership has a canceled order on an FE I could get it?? Sure but they told me that all cars are spoken for and that those declined go back to Ford. In short the dealer has zero say so. Ok. I get it. My issue. Oh well. I will likely not see it until sometime in 2021. Oh well that is also my issue. I
May have clout with one of the largest dealers in the country but they and I have ZERO clout with Ford on the MME.

so stop complaining g and either man/woman up and accept responsibility or cancel your order and go somewhere else.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
My opinion is that I think you are going a little bit dramatic.
1. Buying a car based on tax implications is your issue not ford. The reality is the tax incentives should be a BONUS and not THE reason to buy the car

2. yes ford could have handled communications better but let’s put this into perspective. Covid created a havoc of unforeseen issues. Not just local like employee safety but suppliers as well. Fords main concern was developing a NEW concept and getting it to market while ICE production cratered and expenses going through the roof. It is easy to be a recliner CEO. It is different from being the one responsible for it all. Ford did what I think is the only thing they could do. They turned a blind eye and let people leak information. It is effective and allows them to focus on what matters.

3. it was your choice from the moment the reveal was over to jump on the bandwagon and choose your trim and battery level. If you took your time or changed your mind then that is on you and not ford.

4. in short you are blaming Ford for what you decided/not decided to do. Technically I decided in July to buy a second MME. I-tried to upgrade it to an FE as I have major clout with the dealership. Guess what??? NO DEAL. Ok I have to live with my screw up in not ordering two simultaneously. Do I blame Ford? NO. Do I wish there was a way that if my dealership has a canceled order on an FE I could get it?? Sure but they told me that all cars are spoken for and that those declined go back to Ford. In short the dealer has zero say so. Ok. I get it. My issue. Oh well. I will likely not see it until sometime in 2021. Oh well that is also my issue. I
May have clout with one of the largest dealers in the country but they and I have ZERO clout with Ford on the MME.

so stop complaining g and either man/woman up and accept responsibility or cancel your order and go somewhere else.
I would like some bonus points for being politically correct in man/woman up. I think I did that right or maybe I should have said man/woman/unknown up.
Sponsored