- First Name
- Dec 11, 2019
- Reaction score
- First Name
- 2021 Mach E First Edition (Ordered)
- insurance agent
My opinion is that I think you are going a little bit dramatic.DaveRuns, I TOTALLY agree. From November till May there were crickets from Ford. They have had, at least, 50K customers hand them $500 for the privelage of standing in line and, Ford chose to ignore the line. Absolutely no word on how the line is handled. They could have opened or joined the forums. Hell, assign a market intern to the forums. They could have done surveys found out more about their customers. Answered their avid customers questions! But no, crickets. And the dealership debacle, don't even get me started. It should have been handled MUCH better.
At this point, for me, the shine is starting to wear and I don't even have the car. And now, the $3600 dollar difference between a FE and Premium and, the fact that I'm sure to take delivery in 2021 of either, has me questioning the switch to FE.
1. Buying a car based on tax implications is your issue not ford. The reality is the tax incentives should be a BONUS and not THE reason to buy the car
2. yes ford could have handled communications better but let’s put this into perspective. Covid created a havoc of unforeseen issues. Not just local like employee safety but suppliers as well. Fords main concern was developing a NEW concept and getting it to market while ICE production cratered and expenses going through the roof. It is easy to be a recliner CEO. It is different from being the one responsible for it all. Ford did what I think is the only thing they could do. They turned a blind eye and let people leak information. It is effective and allows them to focus on what matters.
3. it was your choice from the moment the reveal was over to jump on the bandwagon and choose your trim and battery level. If you took your time or changed your mind then that is on you and not ford.
4. in short you are blaming Ford for what you decided/not decided to do. Technically I decided in July to buy a second MME. I-tried to upgrade it to an FE as I have major clout with the dealership. Guess what??? NO DEAL. Ok I have to live with my screw up in not ordering two simultaneously. Do I blame Ford? NO. Do I wish there was a way that if my dealership has a canceled order on an FE I could get it?? Sure but they told me that all cars are spoken for and that those declined go back to Ford. In short the dealer has zero say so. Ok. I get it. My issue. Oh well. I will likely not see it until sometime in 2021. Oh well that is also my issue. I
May have clout with one of the largest dealers in the country but they and I have ZERO clout with Ford on the MME.
so stop complaining g and either man/woman up and accept responsibility or cancel your order and go somewhere else.