OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Ford Motor Company’s $11.5 billion investment in electrification through 2022 and its strategy for electrifying iconic vehicles like Mustang, F-150 and Transit is already paying off, said Ken Washington, Ford chief technology officer, at a recent virtual discussion on technology-enabled sustainability hosted by Reuters.

“These nameplates are known successes in the market and we know our customers are going to love the electrified versions of these products,” said Washington. “This will allow us to leverage what they’ve come to expect about these iconic vehicles – like power, torque, responsiveness and performance.”

Ford is playing to its strengths by offering hybrid versions of SUVs like Explorer and Escape, as the approach allows the company to leverage its scale in well-established models. As demand for electric vehicles grows, that advantage will set Ford apart from the rest of the industry and allow customers to move toward electrification, Washington added.

“We know from early signs that this strategy is working,” he said. “This approach is really going to generate heightened perceptions of Ford’s commitment to electrification versus our industry peers.”

Washington also talked about how the push into electrification brings additional capability that wouldn’t be possible in a gas-powered vehicle, such as the onboard generator available in the F-150 hybrid and upcoming all-electric F-150.

He predicted “unprecedented levels of market acceptance” of battery electric vehicles and hundreds of new competitor vehicles within the next decade – including more than 350 in China and more than 100 in the U.S. by 2025. “It’s critically important for Ford to have a strategy that breaks through the clutter of the large number of nameplates that are going to be introduced to the market,” said Washington.

Ford continues sustainability leadership

Washington also touched on Ford’s long history of sustainable initiatives, including its use of soy foam in vehicle seating. The automaker is realizing founder Henry Ford’s “farm to car” vision of experimentation with biomaterials such as tomato seeds and fibers, using them to create bio-based plastics, which in turn reduce the use of fossil fuels.

Updates to Ford’s sustainability strategy made last year include goals like achieving zero air emissions, reaching 100 percent renewable carbon-free energy to power company facilities, sending zero waste to landfill, the use of fresh water only for human consumption, and using only recycled and renewable plastics in vehicles.

Washington reiterated Ford’s aspiration to become carbon neutral globally by 2050, and highlighted the fact that Ford is the only U.S. automaker to commit to reduce emissions in line with the Paris Climate Agreement and to stand with California in reductions of greenhouse gas emissions. Ford is also the only U.S. automaker on CDP’s recently announced Climate Change “A-List.”

“We also hear a lot about new ways to manufacture and bring new materials into our products,” said Washington. “But none of that matters if we don’t take care of this planet and we’re not paying attention to sustainability and clean energy.”

Washington was one of more than 40 speakers at Momentum, Reuters’ virtual forum for the global technology community to discuss the role of technology in building a better society and advanced economy. He participated in a question-and-answer session with Florian Schattenmann, chief technology officer and vice president of innovation and research and development for Cargill, as well as Joy Tan, senior vice president of public affairs for Huawei Technologies USA.
Sponsored

JosephG53

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Just received email from Ford.

Fantastic news! Your 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition has been built – which means it won’t be long before you’re able to experience the thrill of driving!
Our current estimate for delivery to Perry Ford is between January 27 2021 and February 2 2021. Also, we wanted to include your vehicle’s unique identification number for your reference: 3FMTK3SU.

for reference what’s currently in fordtracker

Receipt Date2020-06-29
ETA End Date1990-01-01
Production Date2020-11-27
Ship Date
Transit Date

Last edited:

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just received email from Ford.

Dear Joseph Gray,
Fantastic news! Your 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition has been built – which means it won’t be long before you’re able to experience the thrill of driving!
Our current estimate for delivery to Perry Ford is between January 27 2021 and February 2 2021. Also, we wanted to include your vehicle’s unique identification number for your reference: 3FMTK3SU.

for reference what’s currently in fordtracker

Receipt Date2020-06-29
ETA End Date1990-01-01
Production Date2020-11-27
Ship Date
Transit Date
Wow.... that’s about 4 to 6 weeks in transport if we can ignore last 4 weeks for one time issues with oktb process

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Bummer! That is SLOW delivery.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
I’ve never ordered a vehicle before so I have no reference point for how long it normally takes after the vehicle is built. I can’t imagine it actually takes 6 weeks to make it from Mexico. So knowing there a few thousand built and a go ahead to ship around 12/17ish, I’m guessing shipping volume is very low (at least for now). Maybe only a few hundred at a time?

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
On the one hand, my mind is thinking less winter in Ohio for my Mach E. On the other hand, I'm thinking if someone in California gets their Mach E before me who did not place their order the night of launch like I did . . . well . . .:(:rolleyes::mad:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Maybe a shipping only thread would be nice so folks can report on their MME's moving along. This thread has been overtaken by anything but shipping or from our friends at the plant.

4 -6 weeks is a really long time, not sure what would take that long. I
On the one hand, my mind is thinking less winter in Ohio for my Mach E. On the other hand, I'm thinking if someone in California gets their Mach E before me who did not place their order the night of launch like I did . . . well . . .:(:rolleyes::mad:
Agreed, less winter / road salt for sure. On who ordered first, I am sure FORD wants to get as many as they can in customer hands NOW without regard to who was first.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I ordered a few vehicles in my life. The quickest I got was my 97 Sunfire who made it home in 7 weeks from the order date.

The longest so far was my F150 which took 12 weeks from order date (Dearborn to Ottawa).

I suspect that car trains leaving Mexico might do a few stops before entering the US, and then a few stops within the US to drop off vehicles, so the "rail/transport" time will be far longer than for other cars manufactured directly in the US.

And like jhalkias just said, I prefer it being a little later than sooner, I don't want to have a first drive in Winter mode!!!

CarboFE

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Is there updated information on the Christmas production shutdown at the plant? I searched the forum and the shutdown speculation I found was posted in October.

My FE status as of Monday (12/21) was Trim Line and I am wondering if it is going to sit there until January.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Is there updated information on the Christmas production shutdown at the plant? I searched the forum and the shutdown speculation I found was posted in October.

My FE status as of Monday (12/21) was Trim Line and I am wondering if it is going to sit there until January.
This is my concern now as well. Suspected mine would have been produced by now with a build day of the 16th. Afraid of it sitting incomplete until after the holiday.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

You'll probably squeeze in under the wire - from what I've heard the shutdown is from today (12/23) through to monday the 4th

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
You'll probably squeeze in under the wire - from what I've heard the shutdown is from today (12/23) through to monday the 4th
Waiting for an update from my dealer (been great about checking on things) but my gut tells me mine is one that didn’t make it off in time.