Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
KW could make a killing if they JUST sold the rear shocks for us. Though they would be around $700 I'd figure.
Sponsored

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium AWD X
KW could make a killing if they JUST sold the rear shocks for us. Though they would be around $700 I'd figure.
True enough.

I just watched your shock install video. Thanks for doing that. Very helpful to visualize it before getting in there.

I am in the habit of jacking up one end of a car, sliding jack stands under both sides where it’s raised, and putting chocks on the end on the ground. I got the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that you jacked up one corner and left the other three on the ground…did I get that right or do you lift one end entirely up?

Do you know if these cars have central lift points on the back and front ends so you can make one lift and then place your jack stands. With other cars that’s how I’ve done it.

Thanks much,

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Just did a corner at a time, for the shocks, even the springs but have to lift one end to do the bars. There arn't central lift points due to the pucks that are needed. Pudle built his own but that was for each side.

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just did a corner at a time, for the shocks, even the springs but have to lift one end to do the bars. There arn't central lift points due to the pucks that are needed. Pudle built his own but that was for each side.
Thanks Erik

electric-in-the-desert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 GT
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I am sure there are others on the Forum who can speak more directly to the questions you raise. It is, however, my understanding that the KW coil over install was on the pricy side. The shocks only on the back end may not be that difficult if this is anything like a regular car when it comes to that part of it. From reading the posts on the Koni's, however, it definitely sounds fiddly but not impossible if you take your time, particularly at the top cap area and the adjuster nut modifications, as I recall. A true specialty 'speed/hotrod/race prep' shop might do the shocks for you if you took in a printout of the process, although I suspect a run of the mill tire and shock R and R kind of place wouldn't want to be bothered and might not give you much of a comfort level in their ability to do it.

I defer, and stand corrected if that's the case, to others here more knowledgeable who've actually been through the process. Sounds like you've read the thread, suggest re-reading it to burn it into your mind.
Yeah that all makes sense and pretty much matches my assumptions. I’m probably ruling the Koni’s out since I don’t trust myself on project like that. And definitely agreed on comfort level with a shop performing that sort of install… As nice as the KWs sound, not sure I can justify that cost as much as I might like to. Maybe I’ll have a moment of weakness though 😁 I need to refresh my memory on the Bilsteins that I’ve seen mentioned in this thread a few times since maybe that is a decent alternative. Thanks!

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah that all makes sense and pretty much matches my assumptions. I’m probably ruling the Koni’s out since I don’t trust myself on project like that. And definitely agreed on comfort level with a shop performing that sort of install… As nice as the KWs sound, not sure I can justify that cost as much as I might like to. Maybe I’ll have a moment of weakness though 😁 I need to refresh my memory on the Bilsteins that I’ve seen mentioned in this thread a few times since maybe that is a decent alternative. Thanks!
Bilsteins or any other shock other than the Koni Sport Yellow's are not an alternative since they have a very soft rebound and are not adjustable. In order to control the bounce you need a shock with a firm rebound and the Koni Sport Yellows have an adjustable rebound.

electric-in-the-desert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 GT
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Bilsteins or any other shock other than the Koni Sport Yellow's are not an alternative since they have a very soft rebound and are not adjustable. In order to control the bounce you need a shock with a firm rebound and the Koni Sport Yellows have an adjustable rebound.
Ah I didn’t know that about the Bilsteins but makes sense. Thanks!

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You can't go wrong with Bilstein B6 or B8 sets on any car. The B6 set keeps the OEM height while the B8 set lowers the car a bit.

Then again, Konis ain't a bad choice either. Anything is better than Ford OEM shocks, a known "value-engineering" proposition.

Back in 2022, the KWs were the only game in town for the Mach E.

Dysan911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Technical Software Analyst
I'll recently did Eibach springs and sway bars and my Koni Adjust. Shocks for the rears just got delivered today. IMHO the Eibachs and sways definitely transformed the ride in this vehicle to an incredible new level and I got the Koni's as the finishing touch to tackle just a bit of the rear end bounce that happens on certain road conditions. I think once I get them installed they will totally put any and all issues with ride quality to bed for me.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
True enough.

I just watched your shock install video. Thanks for doing that. Very helpful to visualize it before getting in there.

I am in the habit of jacking up one end of a car, sliding jack stands under both sides where it’s raised, and putting chocks on the end on the ground. I got the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that you jacked up one corner and left the other three on the ground…did I get that right or do you lift one end entirely up?

Do you know if these cars have central lift points on the back and front ends so you can make one lift and then place your jack stands. With other cars that’s how I’ve done it.

Thanks much,
The only lift points on the car are the unibody side rails, so you cannot do one end at a time. You can do each side, NASCAR-style if you are using a load spreader. Otherwise, you are stuck jacking one corner at a time. If you prefer to do the front end only or the back end only, I would suggest obtaining a set of JackPoint Jack stands. You still have to lift one corner at a time but those stands are easier to use for cars that have dedicated lift points than traditional stands. The down side is they’re really expensive. 😊🐩

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you using the Koni sport yellow
8241 1293Sport for ICE mustang coupe?

I seem to have a recollection reading the thread that Mustang rear shocks were being used.

Thanks

Dysan911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Technical Software Analyst

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The only lift points on the car are the unibody side rails, so you cannot do one end at a time. You can do each side, NASCAR-style if you are using a load spreader. Otherwise, you are stuck jacking one corner at a time. If you prefer to do the front end only or the back end only, I would suggest obtaining a set of JackPoint Jack stands. You still have to lift one corner at a time but those stands are easier to use for cars that have dedicated lift points than traditional stands. The down side is they’re really expensive. 😊🐩
Thanks for the information. Kind of the pits you can’t lift one end, but it’s what it is. I saw the JackPoint stands on an episode of Jay Leno’s Garage. They are slick but for sure pricey. I have four ESCO stands (have both the hockey puck post and axle top posts). I think with the hockey puck posts they’d work well on the MME but certainly not as convenient as the JackPoint. Pebbles the 🐩 thanks you too for the info! She also says the price of JackPoints would keep her in kibble and toys for quite a while….🤔

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles