Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
Got a welcome surprise today as my dealer was able to complete my HVBJB repair and they got the clip/harness part too! Only 3 weeks, most of that time waiting on the harness/clip part.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Updates on the HVBJB (22S41) CAAC8D35-B0F7-44F7-BA3C-5F8C8DFEDEAC
Sponsored

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Are there any good OBD readings to watch in CarScanner to help determine if the contactors are nearing failure levels?

PS: Forgive me if this is already documented somewhere (searching isn't finding anything)

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are there any good OBD readings to watch in CarScanner to help determine if the contactors are nearing failure levels?

PS: Forgive me if this is already documented somewhere (searching isn't finding anything)
None that I have heard mentioned. The reality is receiving a SVS error is actually an early warning and not a failure; however, HVBJB have then failed after that and thrown the SSN error. Majority of cases though people can drive their car to the dealer for service after receiving the SVS error.

Ruben Anthony

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Select
Country flag
The models produced from May 2022 onward have the replacement HVBJB.
And yet my 2023 Mach E Select is in the shop now for an HVBJB replacement.

I got the SVS light 10 days after buying it. I won't go into the long story of dealing with Ford service but I was able to drive my car for about a month while waiting for the parts to come in.

I couldn't charge on a DC fast charger so I couldn't take some of the longer drives I do on the weekend.

When I asked what are the odds of the new HVBJB going out on me again the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said he couldn't say.

I'm just wondering why THIS would be a problem on the 2023 model if it was already fixed during the recall?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And yet my 2023 Mach E Select is in the shop now for an HVBJB replacement.

I got the SVS light 10 days after buying it. I won't go into the long story of dealing with Ford service but I was able to drive my car for about a month while waiting for the parts to come in.

I couldn't charge on a DC fast charger so I couldn't take some of the longer drives I do on the weekend.

When I asked what are the odds of the new HVBJB going out on me again the guy just shrugged his shoulders and said he couldn't say.

I'm just wondering why THIS would be a problem on the 2023 model if it was already fixed during the recall?
And you have the more extra robust version also

the real answer to your question is that Ford really doesn’t have a clue how to fix this problem, that’s my opinion, others feel it’s fixed or only a few cars will be affected

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
And you have the more extra robust version also

the real answer to your question is that Ford really doesn’t have a clue how to fix this problem, that’s my opinion, others feel it’s fixed or only a few cars will be affected
Or maybe the software check is too sensitive and his HVBJB is just fine?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or maybe the software check is too sensitive and his HVBJB is just fine?
It’s always a possibility but none of us know the answer to that. But since they are replacing them , to me it’s a failure.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s always a possibility but none of us know the answer to that. But since they are replacing them , to me it’s a failure.
If a HVBJB fails on a Select after 10 days it is most likely for some other issue with the HVBJB other than the failed “weak” contactors installed in the original part. He did not share his failure code so no telling exactly what happened in his case. Not a good thing either way but I doubt this was the standard failure mode.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If a HVBJB fails on a Select after 10 days it is most likely for some other issue with the HVBJB other than the failed “weak” contactors installed in the original part. He did not share his failure code so no telling exactly what happened in his case. Not a good thing either way but I doubt this was the standard failure mode.
Of course you may be right but if it turns out that it is the HVBJB what would you say?

bottom line is there are some 23’s impacted. How many, who knows and it’s too early to really tell if it’s a big problem.

many people say it’s small, how does anyone know. It’s all guesswork, me included.

I ask again, what is a small number, 1%? 1/2 of 1%? 5%?

what should the tolerance number be? Someone a long time ago said no part is built to 100%. Of course , I agree but what should it be for a part such as this?

I get it, I probably am in the minority about this issue. I have not had a failure but I baby the car more than most. I have a car that can handle real driving so I am good with it.

not once have I not taken the car somewhere because of the potential problem but I do think about it Right before the trip starts. I have driven it to cape cod from NY several times, to Pa several times and from Boca Raton to Tampa numerous times in the winter.

I wanted to drive the car to Florida but my wife refused. Not so much because of this issue but because of the added time to charge up.

most of the other issues with the car are really just nuisances. This to me is a big issue.

i like the car, just hate how Ford has handled the HVBJB

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Commenting on a few of your posts...

You're correct, "no part is 100%", what that translates to in engineering speak is "mean time between failure". The HVBJB is the critical part of an EV as it serves to mange power added to the battery and manages the power removed from the battery. I'll equate the HVBJB to an engine's crankshaft. The HVBJB should be over-built and have a MTBF far past the HVB expected lifespan. A software patch to notify the driver of impending failure is not good enough.

Based on the information I have seen, the HVBJB is a marginal design at best. If heat tolerance is the cause of failure then the part was poorly designed and should have a better heat sink design or more robust contactors. All parts have manufacturing tolerances of course, but even variations in the contactor assembly should meet a minimum no-failure heat tolerance condition.

The MME is such a compelling EV offering, it's too bad it has such a latent defect in the HVBJB.
Yes it was a marginal design or at least some marginal parts within the unit and Ford’s recall was basically a soft landing (in most cases) versus a hard fail. Where there is some question is how well the new part is holding up as Ford, to the best of my knowledge, has not shared the failure rate of units manufactured after June 2022. There a
remains a steady failure of the pre June 22 units or at least it seems that way. I am hoping failure rates out in the current NHTSA review but I doubt it. I do agree with you that it appears some minimal amount of cooling may be the solution on top of the more robust unit but it may be more complex than that.
Sponsored