join me in filing a NHTSA complaint on the HVBJB to get a better recall than 22s41

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Keep remembering the Weber video when he puts 12V across the main positive contact. He notes something like you may want to plug your ears as these normally sound pretty heavy duty. Then he does it and it sounds like slapping distributor points together. Would be interesting to put 12V across a new one and the original side by side just to hear the difference. Would provide a quantitative measure of how under designed we talking about. Wonder if @Mach-Lee still has the new one we have the original on weber's vid.
They aren't that loud, when the contactors close it just sounds like a regular relay click. You can't really tell much from the sound. I'm sure the old and new ones sound identical. It's likely just an internal coating or materials change.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
the whole authorize, order, schedule process can't even START until the Dealership verifies.
I don't really care how much beefier than new replacement part is, what I care about right now is the process to get one is ridiculous.
Is there an actual reason the car has to go into the shop to plug it into FDRS? Why can't this, or any other dealer, pull the codes remotely ... just like everyone on this forum with FDRS accounts do as a public service to the rest of us. 15 minutes of work, including drinking coffee, to pull the codes, order the part, and call the owner to schedule the replacement/repair. Cuts out the two to six weeks of waiting for the first appointment. It literally makes zero sense.

Normal load on a flat level Highway going about 75 miles an hour pulls about 20 kW. Coming up La bajada Hill with the grade and a car full of stuff it was pulling probably three times the normal amount for a good solid 10 minutes.
There's so much we do not know. I'm obviously not familiar with that road, but I routinely have driven a 10-mile stretch of roading with an average slope of more than 6% including two brief 10% slopes and several 7 and 8% slopes. My speed is always 70+ on that road, sometimes a lot of pluses. AWD ER.
I propose a huge party the day you finally get your frunk button. In fact, we might need to take the day off of work the party will be so huge.
We'll be holding that in the Ford-sponsored Job 1 MME Owners Full Care Nursing home.

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there an actual reason the car has to go into the shop to plug it into FDRS? Why can't this, or any other dealer, pull the codes remotely ... just like everyone on this forum with FDRS accounts do as a public service to the rest of us. 15 minutes of work, including drinking coffee, to pull the codes, order the part, and call the owner to schedule the replacement/repair. Cuts out the two to six weeks of waiting for the first appointment. It literally makes zero sense.

There's so much we do not know. I'm obviously not familiar with that road, but I routinely have driven a 10-mile stretch of roading with an average slope of more than 6% including two brief 10% slopes and several 7 and 8% slopes. My speed is always 70+ on that road, sometimes a lot of pluses. AWD ER.

We'll be holding that in the Ford-sponsored Job 1 MME Owners Full Care Nursing home.
And the electric wheelchairs will have a frunk button (inoperable of course.)

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

this is one of my two main points.....

a. Dealerships *should* be stocked with at least one replacement HVBJB if they sold any of the forst 50,000 Mach-es. There are not that many dealerships that sold the first round of Mach-es, and even fewer that are certified to do the EV Service work, and even fewer that intend to pony up the investment Ford is asking of them to remain EV certified Sales/Service centers.

b. There is NO REASON why an Owner should have to wait for a dealership service appt to verify DTC thrown when a SVS Alert is triggered. The Alert is sent to Ford servers already since it shows up in FordPass. FordPass *should* forward the Alert (with VIN) to initiate recall authorization.... or worst case, do a remote FDRS to verify since they already have your VIN and contact info.

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
I’m not joining the complaint.

The replacement parts are not presently available. Ford is doing what they can to mitigate the problem until the fix is available.

What do you expect Ford to do, recommend that all MME’s be taken off the road? I’m not parking my car.
Ford is doing nothing to fix/mitigate the problem. They’re just giving you a warning rather than just bricking the car. The only FIX for this is to replace the defective piece of hardware and not a software patch.

They will not replace the part unless yours fails, which if it does will hopefully during the warranty. But give @Ford Motor Company no credit for doing the right thing. They’re playing the probabilities but in the process are disaffecting long term owners.

Moreover, their lack of action on this isn’t helping EV adoption.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ford is doing nothing to fix/mitigate the problem. They’re just giving you a warning rather than just bricking the car. The only FIX for this is to replace the defective piece of hardware and not a software patch.

They will not replace the part unless yours fails, which if it does will hopefully during the warranty. But give @Ford Motor Company no credit for doing the right thing. They’re playing the probabilities but in the process are disaffecting long term owners.

Moreover, their lack of action on this isn’t helping EV adoption.

exactly.
I don't buy the 'parts not available' for a second. Ford could pull inventory from Production line and stock Dealerships that are ready to do replacements.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
a lot of Ford apologists in this thread, smh ...

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
a lot of Ford apologists in this thread, smh ...
And a few Ford haters, which is a surprising to me after they just spent $50k+ on a car from Ford. It is almost like they hated Ford and purchased the car anyway. Weird.

Personally I am rooting for Ford to succeed. I really, really like my car, and I do not regret purchasing it. But I am a positive and optimistic person by nature, and I recognize there are some sour people who tend to blame others for their choices.

I am not saying Ford shouldn't be criticized when they fail, they absolutely should. But I purchased a brand new design in the first year of production. I know what that means.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They aren't that loud, when the contactors close it just sounds like a regular relay click. You can't really tell much from the sound. I'm sure the old and new ones sound identical. It's likely just an internal coating or materials change.
Possible his preamble was based on his experience with other BEV manufactures?

They can. When my 12V kept dying last winter the last time after a new 12V died (Dec) I called and told him it did it again. He noted ya looking at it now and I can see that. Told him I am putting it on a 12V charger but want it fixed. Went in and I am up to date on software as of Oct 2022 (Ford is not Apple coverage with OTA and why not wi-fi? another conversation) also had the HVJB and BECM replace after last winter (April). Fingers crossed.

Been good all summer and real good with the updates so far. Just need it to make one winter and we are good. Plug it and forget it is what we are going for. Got to admit it has personality but nothing to get too worked up about as I do not think that will help.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
And a few Ford haters, which is a surprising to me after they just spent $50k+ on a car from Ford. It is almost like they hated Ford and purchased the car anyway. Weird.

Personally I am rooting for Ford to succeed. I really, really like my car, and I do not regret purchasing it. But I am a positive and optimistic person by nature, and I recognize there are some sour people who tend to blame others for their choices.

I am not saying Ford shouldn't be criticized when they fail, they absolutely should. But I purchased a brand new design in the first year of production. I know what that means.
Yeah it's a tough spot. Ford should be bending over backwards twice over to ensure dealerships have the part as quickly as possible. If it were four years ago when rental cars were plentiful, I could see less pressure on Ford to have the part available right away because as long as they were paying for a rental for the owner, they were at least ensuring they had transportation.

But it is harder to defend their action when they aren't going above and beyond to ensure parts are available for overnight delivery to impacted dealers when rental cars are so hard to find.

On the other end of it, I think Ford's usage of the OTA update to warn customers of pending failure instead of flat recalling all Mach-Es was a sensible move. There is almost no way they could do a general recall and have the service capacity and part capacity, even pulling from Production lines, to replace all the junction boxes for a year and a half of production. Even if the parts exist, it's a significant replacement.

So I am not saying Ford couldn't be doing a bit more, but don't agree that they are fully dropping the ball. I definitely feel for people that are worried about taking their MME on a long trip because they are afraid of the uncertainty if they have the original box. Without hard numbers on the true failure rate, I don't blame people for feeling a bit down on their car on that front.
Sponsored