22S41 HVBJB issue safety recall: OTA vs dealer applied

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Was on with Ford customer service for >1 hr today trying to understand whether I will ever get the 22S41 update via OTA. I first connected to the OTA group and they had no clue. They passed me on to someone in the recall dept who had no idea what the Mach e was. He then connected me to the EV team but they had no clue either and all they would do is quote the letter many of us got in the mail saying I had to bring it to the dealer. Does anyone here have any insight into the process? Just wondering why so many have received this via OTA but I haven't (got the car in June '22, just as the recall went live). I should mention that the service head of my dealership said they have had a few issues with updating some of the '22s and recommended that I leave the car with them for the day. Is there something about later models that makes it more challenging to update them? Is anyone else in a similar position?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Trying to figure out how Ford decides when to push OTAs to specific cars is a lost cause. If you want the update, just make an appointment with the dealer. This particular update is very quick, but it doesn't surprise me that they want to keep it for a day so they can fit it into their own schedule. They will always prefer that.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Trying to figure out how Ford decides when to push OTAs to specific cars is a lost cause. If you want the update, just make an appointment with the dealer. This particular update is very quick, but it doesn't surprise me that they want to keep it for a day so they can fit it into their own schedule. They will always prefer that.
I suspect you're right on both counts. They did say that some of the cars wouldn't start after the update which is why they suggest just dropping it off for the day but the real reason may be what you suggest. But it's just pretty inconvenient since it requires two of us driving there back and forth twice (or taking a 40 min Uber ride once or twice, or just camping out there for the day which would be painful...). Comes with the EV territory I suppose.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
As The General said, the update doesn’t take long. I have witnessed a few and done it myself. None of these cars had a problem starting afterward. If this dealer is having problems with this simple of an operation, please try a different dealer. 😱🐩

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The plot thickens: after 70 min I had to hang up to take another call. The woman I had been dealing with called me back 10 min later and told me that she apologizes for giving the wrong information but when she looked further into my VIN and my car's history she is showing that I did get the 22S41 update a week ago. I didn't see any notification of this in the car or in my FP app and I don't see it now on my dashboard on Ford.com (it still shows the recall as needed). Is there a way for someone to look up my VIN and verify this for me or do I just wait for a bit and see if it shows up on my dashboard?

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
Is there a way for someone to look up my VIN and verify this for me or do I just wait for a bit and see if it shows up on my dashboard?
in theory, yes, querying your VIN in FDRS should show what updates are pending. i don't have an FDRS account anymore but if you post in this thread:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ing-to-look-up-info-for-others.10230/page-207

some people might be able to tell if the update has been applied, but i don't know which module gets updated nor what the new software revision is. but there are some very knowledgeable people in that thread who might be able to figure it out.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was on with Ford customer service for >1 hr today trying to understand whether I will ever get the 22S41 update via OTA. I first connected to the OTA group and they had no clue. They passed me on to someone in the recall dept who had no idea what the Mach e was. He then connected me to the EV team but they had no clue either and all they would do is quote the letter many of us got in the mail saying I had to bring it to the dealer. Does anyone here have any insight into the process? Just wondering why so many have received this via OTA but I haven't (got the car in June '22, just as the recall went live). I should mention that the service head of my dealership said they have had a few issues with updating some of the '22s and recommended that I leave the car with them for the day. Is there something about later models that makes it more challenging to update them? Is anyone else in a similar position?
I never received the recall OTA either. What I found out, and I believe it is accurate, is that Ford has pushed several other OTA’s ( the HVAC for instance) since then that have updated the modules that were updated by the recall software. So, although I never received the update as a recall, I do have all the software updates included in the recall. The person who was so kind to look into my status stated that my modules were the latest and greatest updates.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never received the recall OTA either. What I found out, and I believe it is accurate, is that Ford has pushed several other OTA’s ( the HVAC for instance) since then that have updated the modules that were updated by the recall software. So, although I never received the update as a recall, I do have all the software updates included in the recall. The person who was so kind to look into my status stated that my modules were the latest and greatest updates.
Interesting. I have gotten several updates over the past few months including the HVAC update, and over the past few days received power up 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. I don’t recall reading anything here about getting the equivalent of 22S41 via those separate updates but maybe I missed it.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting. I have gotten several updates over the past few months including the HVAC update, and over the past few days received power up 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. I don’t recall reading anything here about getting the equivalent of 22S41 via those separate updates but maybe I missed it.
I asked if someone could look up my status in FDRS as someone mentioned some people received the recall update without being notified. I received some information and this was the answer to my final question. You can find most of the dialog on page 196 of the FDRS Thread:

Okay...understood. I was saying though that if it *had* been updated either by the dealer tech or by OTA to satisfy the 22S41 recall that it wouldn't have mattered, because updates for those same modules were released two more times throughout the summer. That was my point. So the modules you have showing now are essentially the third iteration of what the recall versions were and are the "latest and greatest".

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I asked if someone could look up my status in FDRS as someone mentioned some people received the recall update without being notified. I received some information and this was the answer to my final question. You can find most of the dialog on page 196 of the FDRS Thread:
Thanks, I'll see if someone can look up my VIN. I also saw your comment on another thread mentioning that you didn't think you got 3.6.2 which includes ABS, BECM, PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC. I don't see any evidence that I got that one either and so I'm curious if my versions of those modules have been updated since the recall went out. I think that would be the only way I'd have gotten those updated, according to this link.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, I'll see if someone can look up my VIN. I also saw your comment on another thread mentioning that you didn't think you got 3.6.2 which includes ABS, BECM, PCM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC. I don't see any evidence that I got that one either and so I'm curious if my versions of those modules have been updated since the recall went out. I think that would be the only way I'd have gotten those updated, according to this link.
The bottom line is that it was a poor implementation of a safety recall by Ford. I actually reached out to Ford to inquire about OTA’s before finally giving up and asking someone on the FDRS Thread for help. Their response was almost verbatim “ Your concern is not an issue, if you remain concerned contact your dealer, have a nice day.”

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The bottom line is that it was a poor implementation of a safety recall by Ford. I actually reached out to Ford to inquire about OTA’s before finally giving up and asking someone on the FDRS Thread for help. Their response was almost verbatim “ Your concern is not an issue, if you remain concerned contact your dealer, have a nice day.”
Agree that implementation was poor as was customer service by phone given the effort it took me to get someone at Ford to really look into my car's history. But shout out to @Mike G and @Mach-Lee who were kind enough to help. @Mach-Lee confirmed that I received 3.6.2 on Jan 14 as Ford had told me, and that I therefore have the powertrain modules that were part of the 22S41 safety recall. Good to know (and saves me a trip to the dealer). For some reason though, possibly because of some server glitch, I never got the notification that I received 3.6.2.
Sponsored