DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
If I have one gripe with my MME it's definitely that the braking feels very unrefined. There is virtually no way of modulating the brake pressure to consistently come to a very smooth stop like a regular vehicle.

Just before coming to a final stop my brakes end up creaking, and they feel incredibly "grabby", and don't allow for a smooth friction stop. When letting off the breaks I can often hear the same creaking sounds as well.

To be honest it's actually quite embarrassing for a vehicle of this caliber to have this problem, especially when you consider the amount of attention this vehicle gets at a red light.

Wondering if this is a common problem due to how the brakes are electronically tuned which can be improved via an OTA update? Or if this is isolated to my vehicle? To me it seems like the brakes are programmed to just clamp shut at a particular speed just b4 coming to a full stop, rather than a more modulated gentle rolling friction stop.

I know EV Dave mentioned it quite a few times in his videos when talking about the brakes on his vehicle, and you could actually hear it a couple times as well, so really hoping it's not just me.

For reference I am not using one pedal driving.

Anyone else notice this with their car?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It definitely takes some getting used to. I've had mine since February, and feel like I have it down pretty good now. Usually if I touch the brake pedal at all, its just very lightly to get the regen to kick in more. As soon as I get it slowed down to where I want it, I'll let 1PD bring me the rest of the way.

You're not the only one that doesn't like it. So hopefully there will be an update that changes the calibration for braking.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It definitely takes some getting used to. I've had mine since February, and feel like I have it down pretty good now.
Same here. I drive in unbridled and do not use 1 pedal. I've learned to brake pretty smoothly just letting the car do most of the slowing down and easing the brake pedal down for the last bit

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Have you bed in your brake pads?

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It definitely takes some getting used to. I've had mine since February, and feel like I have it down pretty good now. Usually if I touch the brake pedal at all, its just very lightly to get the regen to kick in more. As soon as I get it slowed down to where I want it, I'll let 1PD bring me the rest of the way.

You're not the only one that doesn't like it. So hopefully there will be an update that changes the calibration for braking.
I've had my MME for about 6 months now, and I've got to tell you there is no sure fire way that I've found to (consistently) stop smoothly.

I feel based off commentary in videos and other posts that 1 pedal driving probably results in a much smoother stopping experience when compared to the normal 2 pedal driving. But I don't use 1 pedal driving, and don't have any plans to do so, and I just find it really annoying that I have to put so much effort into such a simple thing like coming to a smooth stop without creaking noises, and without the vehicle jolting or jarring when finally coming to a stop.

My understanding from the Munroe tear down videos is that the brakes are 100% electronically controlled, so it must be something Ford can improve with an OTA update.

Ford, if your listening please get on this. It's such a basic function and virtually everyone is doing it better based on all the reviews and comments I've come across.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same here. I drive in unbridled and do not use 1 pedal. I've learned to brake pretty smoothly just letting the car do most of the slowing down and easing the brake pedal down for the last bit
I find that the smoother stops that I do make tend to be the ones that result in some brake "creaking" noises, and I almost need to be a bit more aggressive towards the end of the stop rather than feathering it, to avoid that God awful creaking noise. Of course this results in a harsher stop, but at least doesn't creak.

In any case Ford really needs to refine their braking algorithm.

Reactions: Nav
OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try driving in L and see if it feels more natural to you.
I guess I can try that, but the car is not meant to be driven in L for normal day to day driving, and the manual even advises against it.

What I might try doing instead is getting used to Unbridled mode, so that the Regen is more aggressive and does more of the braking. I'll give that a shot to see how it goes.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Noticed this when test driving on engage. Try whisper mode and see if it makes a difference for you.
Will do. I've definitely been driving in Engaged mode for 99% of the time I've owned this vehicle.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I guess I can try that, but the car is not meant to be driven in L for normal day to day driving, and the manual even advises against it.

What I might try doing instead is getting used to Unbridled mode, so that the Regen is more aggressive and does more of the braking. I'll give that a shot to see how it goes.
Page 173 of my owner's manual states "You may use Low (L) at all times if desired..."

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
I've had my MME for about 6 months now, and I've got to tell you there is no sure fire way that I've found to (consistently) stop smoothly.
I have been using 1pd and it took me 1 week of using it to learn how to stop smoothly. I have not tried to brake on my own for the two weeks that I have owned it. If you can’t master stopping in 6 months then maybe try 1pd?!?