TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Try driving in L and see if it feels more natural to you.
That's what I do now, and i like it best. Tried all the other modes (including 1PD) and just didn't like the feel. Like the OP, I found it hard to achieve even braking with this touchy brake pedal.

But I'm getting pretty good with Engaged + L gear. It allows for slowing fairly evenly, then offers a decent coast while moving your foot from accelerator to brake. Still have to be gentle on it, but seems to work pretty well.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by this?
How new is your vehicle? Brakes take some time to wear in pad material needs to transfer from pad to rotor to change the way the pads grab onto a rotor. In my experience after a fresh rain, washing, new brakes, they all are more prone to squeaks, creaks, and has inconsistent bite.

A good solid bedding in procedure of the pads has remedied this for me.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...liate=AI1&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!386419110414!b!!g!!

KKsNewBaby

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Premium, Infinite Blue, AWD, Extended
Country flag
Same here. I drive in unbridled and do not use 1 pedal. I've learned to brake pretty smoothly just letting the car do most of the slowing down and easing the brake pedal down for the last bit
Maybe that is the OP's issue. When I took delivery, my car was in Unbridled and I found it choppy specifically when slowing down and breaking. Engaged was a closer experience in my opinion to what I was used to with an ICE. I prefer Engaged for driving around town and will use Unbridled more often with freeway/highway driving.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
I have had no issues with the brakes in my car.
Same here. Drove the first month and ~1000 mi in 2PD w/o issue. IIRC The brakes did feel a little different to me between Engaged and Unbridled. Then switched to 1PD Engaged, and now pretty much exclusively 1PD Unbridled. Sure, sometimes my stops can be bit abrupt, say in traffic, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of my MME. FWIW- April build.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I haven't felt any brake issues ... but my past three cars were all hybrids with regen braking and I'm wondering if I'm just used to it.

To maximize regen, brake early and gently ... nice long gradual braking maximizes the regen.

But at some point it has to transition from regen to the friction brakes ... so there is a bit of a transition. My first Ford Escape Hybrid was noticeable as it switched from regen to friction (an '05 model). My second (an '09) was much smoother. Still... if the brake disks are wet you can feel the difference.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I've had my MME for about 6 months now, and I've got to tell you there is no sure fire way that I've found to (consistently) stop smoothly.

I feel based off commentary in videos and other posts that 1 pedal driving probably results in a much smoother stopping experience when compared to the normal 2 pedal driving. But I don't use 1 pedal driving, and don't have any plans to do so, and I just find it really annoying that I have to put so much effort into such a simple thing like coming to a smooth stop without creaking noises, and without the vehicle jolting or jarring when finally coming to a stop.

My understanding from the Munroe tear down videos is that the brakes are 100% electronically controlled, so it must be something Ford can improve with an OTA update.

Ford, if your listening please get on this. It's such a basic function and virtually everyone is doing it better based on all the reviews and comments I've come across.
Not sure what they meant by 100% electronically controlled. That is every car on the road with ABS.
There definately is a mechanical connection to the hydraulic friction brakes. Bedding in the pads is a real thing.

I have quite a few miles on my car now. I can bring it to a steady smooth stop and nearly impossible to notice the actual stopping point. Most easiest in Whisper +L but achievable in any setting.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Same here. Drove the first month and ~1000 mi in 2PD w/o issue. IIRC The brakes did feel a little different to me between Engaged and Unbridled. Then switched to 1PD Engaged, and now pretty much exclusively 1PD Unbridled. Sure, sometimes my stops can be bit abrupt, say in traffic, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of my MME. FWIW- April build.
Same here, always drive in Unbridled 1PD. I tried all other modes but found no reason to use anything different.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’ve never had a problem with the braking, but that’s because I use 1PD. Because it’s an EV. Try 1PD for a week. You’ll grow to love it.
Me too; I hardly ever use the brakes, so I don't have much to say about them. Yes, they are a bit 'grabby', but 1PD deceleration is extremely smooth and reliable. 1PD is now implanted so firmly in my brain that I have a hard time driving ICE vehicles and I despise having to use brakes in the conventional way.

Imkayla88

First Name
Kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This post cracks me up! I have been having trouble braking smoothly too, but no creaking sound. I am embarrassed by it and have to inform anyone new in the car that I am still getting used to the brakes! :p

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
This post cracks me up! I have been having trouble braking smoothly too, but no creaking sound. I am embarrassed by it and have to inform anyone new in the car that I am still getting used to the brakes! :p
My Wife is too but she has always been hard on brakes! My biggest problem is cleaning up her brake dust!! Lol

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I notice the braking is jerky, but only when backing up, especially when backing out of my garage. My garage is fairly tight, so I usually stop once to make sure the mirror is going to clear, once to close the garage door, and once to check for pedestrians and traffic. Along with the 3 intentional stops, I usually make at least one early neck snapping stop. I would love to have a little bit of reverse creep, but since I use 1PD for normal driving, I don't think that is possible without switching 1PD on and off constantly.