First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
I don't care for the white steering wheel at all. It looks good for photos, but I can imagine it's going to discolor after time from body oils.
The steering wheel was quite literally the first thing I noticed in any picture. I had nearly identical thoughts about it.

Overall I'm rather unimpressed, but that's just me. It's also why there is more than a single model car in the world.

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
Mostly in terms of power and performance? Or looks?
A bit of both but mostly looks. My reaction to the interior pictures was surprisingly negative in particular. That's just me though, I rather like the mach-e interior and design. For others (except for the white steering wheel -- that's just bad ;)) this might tick all the boxes.

jparduhn70

Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Escape Titanium
Country flag

Snowbolster

Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx 350
Country flag
Looks like the ID.4 Range is 309 Miles, based off these screen figures. I don't know, I don't love the exterior, but it's a strong contender.
1600881194223.png

OP
Thevanin

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The reservation link is working, but it seems like there's far less info there than when the Mach E reservation system went live. The base model comes in white, black, and two shades of grey.

Looking through the options and such killed any interest I had. I think it'll do well, but I just don't want one.

Plus... there's no frunk, so I won't have anywhere to put my wings and shrimp

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
A bit of both but mostly looks. My reaction to the interior pictures was surprisingly negative in particular. That's just me though, I rather like the mach-e interior and design. For others (except for the white steering wheel -- that's just bad ;)) this might tick all the boxes.

Based on comments by 360, I bet the standard range version of the Mach E exhibits comparable range to the 77 net KWH version of the ID4?

Doesn't that make them comparable in price?

JayTee

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Sales Analysis
Country flag
The reservation link is working, but it seems like there's far less info there than when the Mach E reservation system went live. The base model comes in white, black, and two shades of grey.

Looking through the options and such killed any interest I had. I think it'll do well, but I just don't want one.

Plus... there's no frunk, so I won't have anywhere to put my wings and shrimp

I can't believe you mix wings and shrimp. 😁

RyZt

Reaction score
Vehicles
CMax Hybrid
Country flag
Just reading the specifications at https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129702_2021-vw-id-4-250-mile-electric-suv-starts-at-41490 and this stood out:

The ID.4 comes with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes—the latter a choice that’s unusual in EVs as it adds weight versus discs.

That screams 'cheap' to me. Typically you see this braking configuration in an econobox.
VW's official press release seems to be more informative than all the other news articles: https://media.vw.com/releases/1394

It says: "A combination of brake types is used on ID.4. It features disc brakes on the front wheels and drum brakes on the rear—the difference being specific to electric vehicle needs. As EVs rely on regenerative braking, disc brakes on the rear can be less effective than drums after long periods of not being put to heavy use."

I don't know whether that argument has any merit.

Another place where ID.4 screams "cheap" is airbags. ID.4 has:

* front and side airbags for front passengers
* side curtain airbags for outboard seating positions.

Compared to Mach E:

* Driver and Front Row Passenger Dual-Stage
* Driver Knee
* Front-Seat Mounted Side-Impact
* Rear-Seat Mounted Side-Impact
* Side Curtain

Last edited:

agoldman

Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 volvo xc60 Polestar Plug-in. Mach E FE & GT on order
Country flag
don't care for it one bit...

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicles
Subaru WRX
Country flag
I noticed that they have a "First Edition" as well. I like the badging they have on it for that. I wish there was a subte exterior badge on the Mach-E First Edition.

Overall, I don't care for the styling but it is OK. Price seems pretty good as well.

I hope they sell a lot. Because these new EVs use the same charging connector as the Mach-E, it will hopefully mean more and more investment in charging stations. This is why I'm glad the Mach-E doesn't have a proprietary charging system.

2021-volkswagen-id4-111-1600698314.jpg

trutolife27

Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150
Country flag
ID.4 250 miles of range. so at 80% charge 200-mile range. Then factor in driving style and aircon or heat and you be lucky to get 175 to 180 miles of range. Can't go too far on that.

RyZt

Reaction score
Vehicles
CMax Hybrid
Country flag
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.11.53 PM.png

It's not fair to compare ID.4 with Mach E SR or ER. Since Ford charges $5000 for 70 miles of RWD range. We'll say the 20 miles of range in ID.4 is worth $1400.

Under this assumption:
* ID.4 RWD is $7400 cheaper than equivalent Mach E RWD
* ID.4 AWD is $4400 cheaper than equivalent Mach E AWD

Additionally:
* Mach E is eligible for a roughly $800 X-Plan discount
* The details of ID.4 in the context of VW Partner Program is currently not clear.

Is the price difference worth going cheaper? I guess it depends on individual situation and preferences.

Last edited:

Advertisement