Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I know we're all salivating over getting our 2021 Mach-E, but don't many 2022 models usually start getting press around July? My delivery date will likely be around April/May 2021 (Ordered October 20, 2020).

Tossing this out for discussion...

> What, if any, changes/improvements, etc. will the 2020 Mach-E have? Any rumors out there?

> Might it be better to wait (example: when 2022 is announced, will 2021 have a price reduction)?
Caveat: The $7,500 tax credit may or may not come into play, depending on when Ford hits the 200,000 EV sales benchmark
but it is likely the 2022 Mach-E will still be eligible.

> Cosmetic/minor things would be frivolous, but what if there are some major improvements (i.e., RANGE, 0-60, etc.).

I can't wait for my Mach-E, but I don't 'need' it.
Wondering what others think now that 2021 deliveries may overlap with announcements of the
'New and improved 2022 Mustang Mach-E'
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I doubt that there will be any changes to the 2022 vs 2021 (other than, perhaps, some different colors offered).

Especially if it remains as popular as it is since there will be no need to make it "spiffier" to get more sales. It is likely they may secure more batteries so 2022 may not be limited to 50k--perhaps more.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would not expect any changes for the 2022 models. Very likely to be identical specs and features. Maybe some other color options possibly....??

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I agree, I wouldn’t anticipate any big changes early on.

I will say, maybe at some point they will introduce a model below the Select because even the Select is well-appointed. For example, a trim with cloth seats, without all the driver assistance features. But I don’t think they would do this until the tax credit runs out and since demand appears to be really high right now, no need to introduce more budget models.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I could see small changes - ventilated seats, the (rumored to cost) $1400 software upgrade being included, slightly better batteries... nothing that would make me wait, but I think "exactly the same except color choices" might be wrong.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Color changes are a given. Usually the one or two least popular colors are replaced. Paint systems are pretty standard, and I think each plant can only paint 10 colors.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree, I wouldn’t anticipate any big changes early on.

I will say, maybe at some point they will introduce a model below the Select because even the Select is well-appointed. For example, a trim with cloth seats, without all the driver assistance features. But I don’t think they would do this until the tax credit runs out and since demand appears to be really high right now, no need to introduce more budget models.
But here in Canada if they offer a lower trim then the Select with more options, and they can offer a car at MSRP under $45,000 CAD, it would actually have access to a federal $5,000 incentives and you can add up to $10,000 of options. Add up $8,000 Quebec incentives and you have a pretty good value there. ?

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
I was originally planning to look at the mach e in 3 or 4 years but with the $7500 rebate and the fact my current 2013 has under 50K miles that I would get the best trade in value now. Big bonus is that my dealer did not make me pay a $500 deposit so it is free order and if I don't like it then just a straight walk right out the door with nothing to lose

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I would expect nothing different between both years and anything updated will most likely be software which the 2021 would also get

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
“Significant” non-software upgrades would have me sitting in front of my sales guy saying “let’s talk about what we can do, realizing I’m X-Plan”. I’m not saying I’d definitely jump, but things like ventilated seats, more degrees of motion on the seats, dimming mirrors, door handle delete option, matrix headlights, etc, would get me interested ?

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
+100 for matrix headlights

I really hope they add them! Even if they can't fully enable then until US regulations change.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I would expect nothing different between both years and anything updated will most likely be software which the 2021 would also get
As a guess 2022 will probably also get subtle mechanical fixes if needed to based on any issues discovered once owners start putting the miles on for as much as testing can try to cover all possibilities it can never account for the general public lol.

One of the reasons why if a vehicle I am interested in appears at one of the major auto shows and isn't so new as to be a locked display is to go and have a look at it on the last day of the show and see how it has stood up, some vehicles end up looking in a right old state after a week of abuse which doesn't bode well for long term trouble free motoring.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
GT is probably going to be a 2022. The color differentiation for 2022s (if there's even that) and quality improvement would be the only reasons to wait.
Sponsored