macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I've used the intelligent cruise control only for long rides on the highway and never had an issue in the four months I've had the car. This weekend on the LIE I was in the HOV lane when a car entered the lane right in front of me and then accelerated away. At first my car slowed down when the other car pulled in front and then as it pulled away the ME accelerated. The problem is it didn't stop. I had the max speed set at 65 mph but it went beyond that. I decided to do nothing and see what speed it sopped at but when it quickly went up to 75mph with no hint of slowing down I disengaged the cruise control.

Any ideas why this might have happened?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I've used the intelligent cruise control only for long rides on the highway and never had an issue in the four months I've had the car. This weekend on the LIE I was in the HOV lane when a car entered the lane right in front of me and then accelerated away. At first my car slowed down when the other car pulled in front and then as it pulled away the ME accelerated. The problem is it didn't stop. I had the max speed set at 65 mph but it went beyond that. I decided to do nothing and see what speed it sopped at but when it quickly went up to 75mph with no hint of slowing down I disengaged the cruise control.

There's been some other posts on here where the ICC may erroneously read a 65 speed limit sign as 85. You should see the speed limit sign on the drivers display that would confirm what the ICC thinks the posted speed limit was.

This is why I use ACC instead of ICC so that I can control the speed.

Last edited:

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag

I use ICC very often. Had this happen in a particular spot on the highway where there are two roads running parallel but with different speeds allowed (HOV vs non-HOV). The MME picked up the speed for the other road. I've also had the MME show a different posted speed from what is shown on the road. Happens very infrequently. Not unique to the MME though.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I prefer to use ACC without lane centering turned on. Several times I have been in situations where I would quickly tap the brakes to regain control. Then depending on the traffic flow I will resume cruise control. I feel more comfortable using ICC when the traffic is light.

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
This past weekend my MME brake checked a Dodge Charger. The ICC almost caused an accident So It will be disabled from now on.

I was overtaking slower moving vehicles on a two lane highway where the speed limit was 60mph. A Dodge Charger approached at probably 100+mph and began tailgating me. I bumped the CC speed up so that I could pass the vehicles a little faster and get out of his way but I was not going to go any faster than 12 over the speed limit. Just as I am about to pass the leading slow vehicle I start to notice that I am not passing the vehicle at the same rate I was expecting, then I feel the car hard brake. I quickly jut my foot forward, look down to see that the MME thought the speed limit was 35, and checked my rear view mirror to see that the Dodge had to swerve onto the left shoulder to avoid hitting me. He then guns it on the shoulder and kicked up all the dirt, rocks, and debris onto the front of the MME.

The MME had read the speed limit sign for an adjacent and parallel road that was to the right and slightly lower than the highway.

Yes, if he had hit me it would have been his fault but I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy driving the way he was wouldn’t have been filled with rage and involved a gun or another weapon after getting brake checked the way he was.

Its not the first time it has done this, but it was the worst time and the ICC is now deemed as dangerous so it will be permanently disabled!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
There's been some other posts on here where the ICC may erroneously read a 65 speed limit sign as 85. You should see the speed limit sign on the drivers display that would confirm what the ICC thinks the posted speed limit was.

This is why I use ACC instead of ICC so that I can control the speed.
I don't think that is ICC vs ACC is it? Even in ACC it has speed limit check. I just turn off speed limit check so it doesn't adjust the speed. It sounds like everyone's issues in this thread with ICC/ACC is because of it not properly adjusting the speed limit based on signs, I'd highly recommend disabling it. Even my Mercedes failed at it way too often.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I don't think that is ICC vs ACC is it? Even in ACC it has speed limit check. I just turn off speed limit check so it doesn't adjust the speed. It sounds like everyone's issues in this thread with ICC/ACC is because of it not properly adjusting the speed limit based on signs, I'd highly recommend disabling it. Even my Mercedes failed at it way too often.
If the car changed the speed all on its own then that's ICC. Because ICC is ACC + "intelligently" (automatically) adjusting the set cruise speed.

When in ACC mode the vehicle will still read the speed limit signs, but it won't adjust the set cruise speed. It will just display and/or flash the speed limit sign because I have it set to warn me if I'm going more than 5 over the limit.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
They should add a feature where the ICC asks the driver to verify a new speed limit sign it observes before the new set speed becomes active (e.g. approve by pressing the cruise control button). If you say no or ignore it, then it should continue at the previous set speed or allow manual adjustments. This would solve most of these issues in a simple way.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag

What, you think your MME is going to take a loss on the road? Hell no.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
They should add a feature where the ICC asks the driver to verify a new speed limit sign it observes before the new set speed becomes active (e.g. approve by pressing the cruise control button). If you say no or ignore it, then it should continue at the previous set speed or allow manual adjustments. This would solve most of these issues in a simple way.
It does allow manual adjustments: just push the + or - buttons to adjust the speed...until the next speed limit change.

I do that all the time. There are a couple of spots around me here where it will pick up an erroneous speed. Once I know where they are I'm ready to adjust the speed back to where I want it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It does allow manual adjustments: just push the + or - buttons to adjust the speed...until the next speed limit change.

I do that all the time. There are a couple of spots around me here where it will pick up an erroneous speed. Once I know where they are I'm ready to adjust the speed back to where I want it.
Yes, but that's not practical in the case of it picking up a 35 mph frontage road sign while on the interstate. You're not going to be able to press the + fast enough to bring 35 up to 70 before the car becomes a hazard. Would have to cancel cruise or slam on the accelerator.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yes, but that's not practical in the case of it picking up a 35 mph frontage road sign while on the interstate. You're not going to be able to press the + fast enough to bring 35 up to 70 before the car becomes a hazard. Would have to cancel cruise or slam on the accelerator.
Actually: In that instance you can just hit the accelerator until you're going 70 and then press + about 35 times LOL.

Pressing the accelerator far enough to go faster than the setpoint overrides ICC and lets you drive (the car indicates this: part of the cruise iconagraphy on the dash turns grey when you get to the point where you're driving).

To "resume" you just let off the accelerator until the car is driving agian.

This is something I also do quite frequently--say to pass someone.

Sure it isn't optimal but you won't get hit.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Started using ICC just because its there. I do think its a bit aggressive with speed drops, like I don't need to go from 65 (or 75 in my case) down to 55 in a matter of seconds. It should gradually start slowing you down, it should not apply the brakes at all. Should just electronically bring back the throttle till it reaches the new speed over something like x Seconds Per MPH over X amount of time. If you get a ticket for doing 70 in a 55, well, you are supposed to be paying attention and you can always manually slow down and set the speed.

I do drive with One Peddle, so I don't know if that has a factor in the hard braking or not. Regardless though, the car should not cut all throttle if One Peddle is engaged, incredibly dangerous.

Also, at work, 25MPH sign is read as 80MPH randomly.... Really good times lol