Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The trigger threshold for an immediate recharge is 30% SoC
You sure about that? I am probably the only person who has a constant 12v monitor on my LVB with data going back over 6 months. 12.3v/12.2v is the lowest I can go (sustained, low load) before the car kicks in the DC/DC to top up the LVB. By my limited battery knowledge that would be 50-60% SOC.

The 12V will also stop automatically recharging when itā€™s less than 5ĀŗF
Is that documented? Not doubting you, just never seen that before.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Interesting Conversation @MachLee . I have never gotten the low 12V battery notification despite my welcome lights and my always on dash cam., except for when my car was in the shop getting wrapped. So I guess Iā€™m not the target audience for this thread.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You sure about that? I am probably the only person who has a constant 12v monitor on my LVB with data going back over 6 months. 12.2v is the lowest I can go (sustained) before the car kicks in the DC/DC to top up the LVB. I didn't think 12.2v was 30% SOC.

Is that documented? Not doubting you, just never seen that before.
That's the way it was in a charging description I read somewhere. 12.2V is closer to 40% on an AGM. 5ĀŗF/15% is when it said it will stop auto-recharge. They certainly could have changed behavior since writing the description.

EDIT: Found it in the Mach-E upfitter bulletin: https://fordbbas.com/vehicleModel/PoliceVehicle

I forgot about the "OTA recharge" option to top off before an OTA. Wonder if that's been working.

It will recharge after 40% with a delay, or immediately if it hits 30%.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Turning off welcome lighting was a potential lead that seemed to solve issues for @Logal727 and @ProximusAl after exhausting other causes.
Itā€™s because on some vehicles with I think older software the sync screen backlight is coming on and staying on after welcome lighting turns off, so even if it ignores you after a little bit, the screen backlight drains the battery. This also only happens to those who have their PAAK very close all the time it seems.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Itā€™s because on some vehicles with I think older software the sync screen backlight is coming on and staying on after welcome lighting turns off, so even if it ignores you after a little bit, the screen backlight drains the battery. This also only happens to those who have their PAAK very close all the time it seems.
Ah, so it's probably the APIM? staying awake and draining rather than the welcome lighting itself. Welcome lighting just triggers the condition. Wonder if an APIM update would fix that.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Ah, so it's probably the APIM? staying awake and draining rather than the welcome lighting itself. Welcome lighting just triggers the condition. Wonder if an APIM update would fix that.
Yes, I havenā€™t tested if itā€™s been fixed since I got all my updates yet, I will see if I can test it out.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
That's the way it was in a charging description I read somewhere. 12.2V is closer to 40% on an AGM. 5ĀŗF/15% is when it said it will stop auto-recharge. They certainly could have changed behavior since writing the description.

EDIT: Found it in the Mach-E upfitter bulletin: https://fordbbas.com/vehicleModel/PoliceVehicle

I forgot about the "OTA recharge" option to top off before an OTA. Wonder if that's been working.

It will recharge after 40% with a delay, or immediately if it hits 30%.
Ok so according to that document it's when the battery temp is below -15C that it won't charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Welcome Lighting May Drain 12V Battery Screenshot_20220731-053548

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I found this SSM, I can't remember if it got posted or not. I think this IPC update was 2.4.4/2.7.4. BlueCruise updates should have fixed it.

SSM 50444 2021 Mustang Mach-E - IPC Backlight Remains Illuminated With Ignition Key Off/12V Battery Drain

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit illuminated instrument panel cluster (IPC) backlight with key-off, causing 12V battery drain. To resolve this condition, park the vehicle and close doors, allow vehicle to enter key-off status, wait for the brake indicator to turn off, turn on hazard lights for 3 flashes and turn off. An IPC software update is expected to be delivered to vehicles via an over-the-air (OTA) update in March 2022 to permanently resolve the condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and advise to connect to their FordPass account to enable OTA delivery. Schedule a follow-up appointment for April 2022, and contact the customer to verify the OTA was received and confirm if the service appointment is necessary going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Here's a good illustration of my car while I was on vacation for 10 days. My dad had the car and didn't drive it for a week. The dips in voltage are the welcome lights coming on. I do have 2 always on devices connected to the LVB which is why there's slight drain.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Welcome Lighting May Drain 12V Battery Screenshot_20220731-054305~2

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Here's a good illustration of my car while I was on vacation for 10 days. My dad had the car and didn't drive it for a week. The dips in voltage are the welcome lights coming on. I do have 2 always on devices connected to the LVB which is why there's slight drain.

Screenshot_20220731-054305~2.png
Interesting. That dip after the recharge in the middle has a much steeper voltage decline than the previous week when it was parked for some reason?

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just a thought, but what if Ford added a state of charge readout for the 12V battery just like how there's one for the HVB? Is the hardware in place to do this? Or would it result in higher 12V battery drain due to Schrodinger's Law lol

So what is the clicking I hear so often then?
Ive heard it too and I always thought it was the car locking/unlocking, although I am probably wrong. The Mach E is by far the most technologically advanced car I've ever owned so I'm still learning about everything it has.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Interesting. That dip after the recharge in the middle has a much steeper voltage decline than the previous week when it was parked for some reason?
I collect the data on 10 second intervals. Almost all of the dips are extremely short. Here's a zoomed out view of typical ups and downs:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Welcome Lighting May Drain 12V Battery Screenshot_20220731-055851~2

And here's a coser look at welcome light dips

Ford Mustang Mach-E Welcome Lighting May Drain 12V Battery Screenshot_20220731-055931~2

Also this is using a shunt so I'm not basing this off the cars reporting. Therefore, I would guess it's more accurate.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Just a thought, but what if Ford added a state of charge readout for the 12V battery just like how there's one for the HVB? Is the hardware in place to do this? Or would it result in higher 12V battery drain due to Schrodinger's Law lol

Ive heard it too and I always thought it was the car locking/unlocking, although I am probably wrong. The Mach E is by far the most technologically advanced car I've ever owned so I'm still learning about everything it has.
You can see the 12V SoC % with an OBD scan tool. The SoC is determined by the BMS current sensor which lives on the negative terminal of the battery. SoC updates are sent periodically via a LIN bus.

I collect the data on 10 second intervals. Almost all of the dips are extremely short. Here's a zoomed out view of typical ups and downs:

Screenshot_20220731-055851~2.png

And here's a coser look at welcome light dips

Screenshot_20220731-055931~2.png

Also this is using a shunt so I'm not basing this off the cars reporting. Therefore, I would guess it's more accurate.
I'm talking more about the general decline, it drained much faster in the circled area than the previous 5 days. After the recharge, something turned off at the cyan dot and the decline returned to normal:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Welcome Lighting May Drain 12V Battery Screenshot_20220731-054305~2
Sponsored

Last edited: