Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
After getting PPF the first time on a Ford back in 2008, after 11 years had only one chip, multiple trips across the desert southwest. It's now the first thing I get done with a new vehicle (I tend to keep a vehicle for at least 8 years.) My van has one "chip" on the front after 3 years which is actually just the film chipped off not the paint, so not very noticeable. I've driven the vehicle from SF to Dallas though a blizzard, along with the typical freeway gravel trucks. The new film is better, glossier than the ones I had done before 2010. The shop I use cuts them on the car so no visible seams.

For an obsessive compulsive person like myself it's really nice to drive on the freeway in a car and not worry about the inevitable road rash. Of course it MIGHT be cheaper to get a good therapist and not sweat the small stuff... ? (who gets a van done after all?)

Of course the best thing is a garage to keep the car in if possible, along with quality wax.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What About Ceramic Coating? 1603593814870

The bumper was done first:

Ford Mustang Mach-E What About Ceramic Coating? Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.55.47 PM

Last edited:

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
I google search the price for applying Xpel for all body panels. It seems to cost around $5000.00. Can someone that has done Xpel before confirm?

That is a lot of $$$

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I google search the price for applying Xpel for all body panels. It seems to cost around $5000.00. Can someone that has done Xpel before confirm?

That is a lot of $$$
Agreed! It could cost more to wrap a car in clear plastic than it does to repaint the whole car.

I'm still trying to figure out how it is that soft, clear plastic sheets costs so much to apply, how they're superior to the alternative (paint touch up and polishing/buffing/waxing, etc.), what are all the downsides to it in terms of shine/reflection/sharpness, cost of removal, and so on.

I don't know much about car care stuff (yet!) but so far it seems like I should just rinse, shampoo, and occasionally wax.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Rather off topic but can anyone figure out if there’s a downside to tinting the front passenger and driver’s side windows given the type of glass the premium has? Downside other than nobody can tell just who is driving that really cool car?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If you do get it wrapped, I'd really like to see pictures of the MME is twister orange after it's done. Sounds awesome.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

That is a lot of $$$
It varries. I have quotes from $1750 for the front to $6000 for the full car. I'll be doing just the front.

I haven't decided if I want to do Xpel or 3m yet.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agreed! It could cost more to wrap a car in clear plastic than it does to repaint the whole car.

I'm still trying to figure out how it is that soft, clear plastic sheets costs so much to apply, how they're superior to the alternative (paint touch up and polishing/buffing/waxing, etc.), what are all the downsides to it in terms of shine/reflection/sharpness, cost of removal, and so on.

I don't know much about car care stuff (yet!) but so far it seems like I should just rinse, shampoo, and occasionally wax.
Repainting how often? I could repaint my current car now, but it gets rock chips continously. I don't want to spend money on repaint just to get chipped again.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone have any opinion on the right or best thing to do here in the Midwest with our winters? Pretty hard to hand wash your car even twice a month in the winter.
The best place for advice is here: https://meguiarsonline.com/

A whole forum dedicated to detailing.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
[QUOTE="zhackwyatt, post: 50328, member:
It varries. I have quotes from $1750 for the front to $6000 for the full car. I'll be doing just the front.

[/QUOTE]
I have used Xpel and 3M and was happy with both. I plan to do front and mirrors using whatever brand I get a reasonable quote. I even did my Honda CRV. My wife has a nice looking 13 year old lexus that only looks terrible in the front from the rock chips.

You can see a line where the PPF film ends, so I am leaning to getting the whole section done so you don’t see the line.

I am too cheap to pay a carwash $30 tp do my car. If it is really filthy I will spray off at a do it yourself place and wash it myself a second time.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag

If you do only the front, will it affect the look of the car? Like more reflective on the hood as compared to the other panels?

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Anyone here get xpel or 3m through the dealer or recommend afterward? I assume $$ at dealer but not always. Plus so easy...
Sponsored