What features / items would you pay monthly fee for?

What items would you pay for monthly/annually? Assume NONE of these are available without a fee.

• Total voters

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
I'd pay for an IPC that doesn't buzz all the time lol

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Eventually, as the years pass the new generation mobile phones won't be compatible with the existing PaaK software so Ford is going to have to keep updating the system to keep up with the technology. At some point they will cut bait or charge the owner for that service.
This will only happen if tech-illiterate people (not you not anyone here) accept that as an excuse. It's Apple and Google's job to provide a stable API that apps like FordPass just hook into. PaaK is extremely easy to implement on the app side as long as you comply with some privacy requirements implemented by the app store. Ford is already updating the hardware of the car on a yearly basis, and you already "subscribe" to that by leasing or upgrading more often, so there's no excuse to implement another subscription on the software side.

Sadly, I see way too many subscription apologists (mostly not in this thread) justifying "well, they need to patch the software with *security updates*" not remembering that free security patches has been the norm for decades at this point. Or conflating connected services subscriptions, which actually does cost money for the provider in terms of paying for bits to be streamed across a mobile network, with BS software subscriptions like for Apple Carplay that BMW implemented for a while. Thank God Apple shut that one down quick and made it very clear that Apple is providing a lot of the development effort already for integration into cars, there's no reason mfgs should charge for it.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I would vote with my dollar, and purchase a vehicle from a different manufacturer, who doesn’t play these silly games.

SMann40544

First Name
Sloan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
MD
Country flag
We're starting to see manufacturers charge monthly for items that we've always thought of as free. For example, BMW will now charge $18 per month for heated seats, but not yet in the U.S.

So, we all know this is coming, but what items are you willing to pay for on a regular basis?

JUST A REMINDER. IF YOU SAY "HELL NO" THEN YOU GET NONE OF THOSE ITEMS.
That's BS. If I don't get those items, I don't buy their car!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’ll pay a monthly fee… if the car cost half as much to buy. Heck I’d even support that as it would take revenue from the dealer at the point of sale and help funnel my dollars to ford. Less middle-man. At least my money would go to the people building the car. Not the people holding it hostage demanding I pay them a ransom.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I’m in the camp of, “I’d completely walk away and find a different automobile/manufacturer.” I think what BMW is doing here cheapens the entire car buying process, especially for the high-end market that they’re going after. When you drop BMW money on a vehicle and then get nickel-and-dimed to death, it’s just not a good look.

Honestly, I hope this fails spectacularly for BMW and this idiocy goes away.

To me, a subscription is viable for items that ALSO have an ongoing cost to the provider that the provider needs to cover. For example, I get why BlueCruise is a subscription—Ford needs to pay to keep the maps updated, to add more lengths of road to their high-resolution mapping, to deliver those maps to the vehicles, etc. I can see the same argument for the connected navigation as well (though I’m more of a CarPlay person and Apple has to keep up Maps in its effort to compete for phone and services market share).

Where I don’t see the subscription argument is in activating hardware that’s already in the car. If BMW has two steering wheels, one with a heating element and one without, and I don’t pay for the option, then fine, I don’t get a heated wheel. However, if they have one steering wheel with the same hardware and then optionally charge extra to activate it after absorbing the cost either way (which you’re absolutely already paying for in the price of the car, have no doubt), I consider that a little bi*ch move. There’s no ongoing cost to provide the steering wheel element once built; there is an ongoing cost to updating BlueCruise maps.

clhardy5

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Prem 4X (sold) and 2022 Space White GTPE
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
I just thought I'd pop in here to say HI! to the Ford officials taking notes on what people will pay for.

Hi Ford! (Note - I don't want any subscription fees.)
What Patrick said! I want the car to operate the way it did when I drove it off the lot WITHOUT any surprise fees later.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I am willing to pay for things that require a lot of updates over time. Say navigations that has its data base of locations updated or access to internet to search for POI then yeah I can accept that.

I can do it for the blue cruise as that requires a lot of update to keep working but for most of the feature F no. I bought the car with those features.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
You want to nickel and dime me after I purchased the car? Fine sell me the car at a steep discount. For the MME, sell it for $20k and then MAYBE I'll think about it :)

Last edited:

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I pay for the hotspot, its $20 unlimited.

Almost everything listed in the survey is something that should be available in at least some trims. I am not necessarily opposed to having the opportunity to buy-up features that weren't included from the start as an upgrade path, but I'd have a huge problem with buying a subscription for things that were included day one.

Will be interesting to see what happens when our included Mach-E features technically expire with Maps and such.

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
I'd pay $0 monthly for any of these features. I'd just choose one of several worthy competitors.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
This is an 👿 evil post. Don’t give FOMOCO any ideas. Let them keep coming up with their own nonsense, like chilled shrimp in the Frunk

Jes sayin. How much would they charge to give you a car that doesn’t strand you in the middle of nowhere because they screwed up putting together the basic power modules. This occurred right after the sunroof and the windshield flew off. I wonder how much they charge per month to have ones that actually remain on the vehicle.

Yeah. Jes sayin. Lol.
Sponsored