What happens if you don't take control back from blue cruise self driving?

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I know it'll make audible warnings, but does the car eventually just stop itself if the driver doesn't take the controls back (they fell asleep, have a medical issue going on, etc.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spooky

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I believe the technical term is "coffin mode". ;)
Well that is what a traditional car would do, but eventually one would think the tech would stop the vehicle, although on an interstate that could be quite problematic.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
Well that is what a traditional car would do, but eventually one would think the tech would stop the vehicle, although on an interstate that could be quite problematic.
I just couldn't help be sarcastic!

But to be honest, I am curious about what the car would do too. You are right that just stopping on an interstate would be bad. But crashing into something at highway speeds would almost certainly be worse.
I guess I will go Google to see if there is any documentation online about this feature.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When BlueCruise is providing hands-on or hands-free driving and detects you are not looking at the road for a certain period of time, the system alerts you to return your eyes to the road. Depending on where you are looking, the alert can be a message in the instrument cluster and an audible warning.
If you do not react to the warnings, BlueCruise cancels, quickly activates and releases the brakes, and slows your vehicle down to low speeds while maintaining steering control.
If your vehicle slows down and you resume control, a message appears to prompt you to press the accelerator pedal to allow the system to resume.
Note: If the system detects repeated inactivity, it disables until the next key cycle.

Low speed means 5MPH

OP
OP
Spooky

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If your vehicle slows down and you never regain control I suppose going 5 mph hitting something is the least of your worries.

Thanks for the reply.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
When BlueCruise is providing hands-on or hands-free driving and detects you are not looking at the road for a certain period of time, the system alerts you to return your eyes to the road. Depending on where you are looking, the alert can be a message in the instrument cluster and an audible warning.
If you do not react to the warnings, BlueCruise cancels, quickly activates and releases the brakes, and slows your vehicle down to low speeds while maintaining steering control.
If your vehicle slows down and you resume control, a message appears to prompt you to press the accelerator pedal to allow the system to resume.
Note: If the system detects repeated inactivity, it disables until the next key cycle.

Low speed means 5MPH
Took the words right out of my mouth (well, out of the manual, actually😆)

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
The Ford system on most vehicles with lane keeping when you do not take control when requested. The vehicle will turn off cruise control, it will slow down and come to a stop. You can test this on a deserted road with lines, not around other vehicles.

MyTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME, Bolt EUV, Model Y, Lightning
Country flag
I'm surprised there has been so little written about this topic. Doesn't everyone want to know exactly what the automation does in unusual or emergency situations? As a flight instructor, when I teach students about a new autopilot, my top priority is for them to know and practice all the ways to turn it off, my next priority is all the ways it can malfunction, and after that the ways it can surprise you such as not being in the mode you intended. I'm particularly interested in the ways the equipment can help you or hurt you in an emergency. How it works during normal operation is far less interesting, and yet that's what people mostly discuss with BlueCruise.

With that in mind... After about 7 seconds of not looking directly at the road at all, BlueCruise prompts you to Watch the Road and begins sounding an alarm tone. A single glance back at the road is sufficient to satisfy the system, but if you don't, the audible warning continues as the system remains in the travel lane and taps the brakes three times in an apparent attempt to wake you up.

After that, looking at the road is not sufficient to reactivate the system; you have to press the accelerator pedal. If you don't, the audible warning blares on as the vehicle remains in the travel lane and slows to 5 MPH. After about a minute, it slows to 4 MPH, then 3 MPH after another minute, all the while displaying a "Resume control" annunciation along with that obnoxious warning tone.

I don't understand why BlueCruise neglects to activate the hazard lights when slowing to 5 MPH on a major limited-access highway, which would seem to me like an easy design decision, easy to implement, and bringing a significant safety benefit. I hope Ford will add that in a future update, along with eventually the ability for the vehicle to pull onto the shoulder (if there is one) rather than remaining in the travel lane when the driver is unresponsive.
Sponsored