James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
Ford is manufacturer, Ford get paid by me to deliver working product which i sign agreement for. Thats a brand new car. Of course you can blame for this the defective part or you can also blame the worker John for not supervising the machines but in the end of the day all is assembled by Ford and its Ford responsibility to take care of their customers.
I also understand that if something didnā€™t happen to you its not a big deal but thats why I wrote this post for people who try to decide if the wait is worth it and also how Ford treats their customers if something happened.
Because we hope for the best with our mach es but you never know.
maybe you should be like everybody else and have waited till all the bugs were worked out of a new car line, If your willing to buy 1/4 line of the car you should expect some bumbs . ,especially on new technology

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Does the A/C work? If so, the broken part is most likely the evaporator chiller (9):

Ford Mustang Mach-E What to expect from Ford and your dealership if your new car arrives defective 1661517358392

It is a relatively simple part. This is not a part with chips in it, so the supply chain argument sounds a little weak. It is a little strange that Ford canā€™t pull one out of a warehouse for you. You would think that Ford orders from its supplier a few extra to make up for parts failure or QA check failure.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Do I understand correctly - The dealer and/or Ford are NOT covering the cost of the rental while your car is in the shop? I would be livid if my dealer told me that my car was going to be out of commission for a warranty repair for 2 months and told me I was on my own for a vehicle for that period of time! Iā€™d be fine having to pay for fuel for an ICE, and Iā€™d try to cut some kind of deal for something halfway decent (there really isnā€™t such a thing in rental fleets these days and I get that), but Iā€™m not paying for a vehicle and if my car is out of commission that long, it would be a nice gesture if Ford Credit ā€œpausedā€ my loan or something (but to be honest, I wouldnā€™t expect that).
Oh, and if your car really IS going to be out of commission that long, call your insurance agent and see if they can lower your insurance on the vehicle temporarily since itā€™s just sitting there unused.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Does the A/C work? If so, the broken part is most likely the evaporator chiller (9):

Ford Mustang Mach-E What to expect from Ford and your dealership if your new car arrives defective 1661517358392

It is a relatively simple part. This is not a part with chips in it, so the supply chain argument sounds a little weak. It is a little strange that Ford canā€™t pull one out of a warehouse for you. You would think that Ford orders from its supplier a few extra to make up for parts failure or QA check failure.
It doesnā€™t work that way. You canā€™t just pull parts destined for production to fix warranty in the field because then you totally screw up production schedules and logistics. This is the same reason youā€™ll see the 4:00 PM flight to JFK sitting there delayed while the 5:00 PM flight departs on time.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
OP needs to get more info, I'm very confused what part needs to be replaced.

Also, these are common things you get, and there's plenty of evidence of happening on this board:

A loaner/rental at no cost to you

If its extended repair, people have been able to get monthly payments reimbursed.

I would seriously suggest changing the title of this post if you want to get any sort of sympathy from the people helping you though.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Totally get your frustration, though its not limited to Ford. My wifes Honda Pilot spent a month in the shop for faulty motor mounts, and this we pre supply chain\chip shortage. Hopefully Ford takes care of you can gets you back in your fancy car soon enough. Keep us posted on the progress.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Ford is manufacturer, Ford get paid by me to deliver working product which i sign agreement for. Thats a brand new car. Of course you can blame for this the defective part or you can also blame the worker John for not supervising the machines but in the end of the day all is assembled by Ford and its Ford responsibility to take care of their customers.
I also understand that if something didnā€™t happen to you its not a big deal but thats why I wrote this post for people who try to decide if the wait is worth it and also how Ford treats their customers if something happened.
Meh. I had a 2009 Ford Edge that had a bad passenger airbag. It sat in my driveway for 12 months waiting for an airbag while I drove a rental car. Did I rant about Ford for getting bad airbags? No. Did I whine that I couldn't use the car I had paid for? No. I made the best of the situation and moved on.

You can choose to either feel a victim and be miserable or you can choose to make the best of the situation and move forward. How you are affected by this is totally in your hands.

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
It doesnā€™t work that way. You canā€™t just pull parts destined for production to fix warranty in the field because then you totally screw up production schedules and logistics. This is the same reason youā€™ll see the 4:00 PM flight to JFK sitting there delayed while the 5:00 PM flight departs on time.
Right, that's why the quoted person wrote "You would think that Ford orders from its supplier a few extra to make up for parts failure or QA check failure. " Manufacturers should know the failure rate of hardware and have enough reserved on hand to reasonably service the cars they already sold.

If you could make 100 cars but 2% of them will fail, then you should make 98 cars so that you can actually service the cars you sold. This is especially true if your profit margins are slim to negative. Now you "have" to reimburse the customer for his or her inconvenience and are losing more money than you gained by selling the extra 2 cars.

I'm not in logistic and of course I'm oversimplifying it, but the general point is valid. If you sell a brand new car and are unable to service it because parts are not available, then you are doing something wrong.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Not surprised at all with a new model design, especially the MME with brand new technology.
I would expect Ford corporate to pay for the loaner, fuel, and if over a month to pay for a month's loan payment.

Dealer = nope - would not expect anything other than warranty service.

When I got my Land Rover Discovery, first year, it was in the shop for about 6 months out of 4 years. Mainly for parts being shipped from the UK.
Did get to drive many different Jags, Range Rovers, and other Land Rovers as loaners which was nice..
Still ended up selling it back and vowed to never return.

Hope my Lightning won't have issues - so far - 1 month in and 1300 miles - no issue.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
If your Enterprise rental car is being paid for by Ford while your car is being repaired under warranty, then Ford (and the dealer) *IS* taking care of you. I understand your frustration, but things like this happen to every manufacturer.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
No they didnt. My dealership send me to Enterprise for a rental and they gave me Rav4 after 2 hours waiting there. So i will drive basic rav4 and paying $800 per month for Mach e
They'll pay your car payment for you. Call them and open a case.

I'm on the bandwagon you didn't get screwed by Ford you got screwed by a rare unfortunate situation. I don't think I've heard of any other instances of this happening.

It sucks but hopefully they take care of you and get it fixed as quickly as possible.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag

I find it kind of unlikely the chiller itself is bad as it's just a liquid to liquid evaporator/heat exchanger. I'd find it more likely the valve to allow refrigerant to flow into the chiller would be bad...or the water pump for the battery coolant...or that valve. Just seems odd something like a chiller thats just a static part could be bad.

OP
OP
dnlsatriani

dnlsatriani

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
If your Enterprise rental car is being paid for by Ford while your car is being repaired under warranty, then Ford (and the dealer) *IS* taking care of you. I understand your frustration, but things like this happen to every manufacturer.
Have you had BMW or Mercedes. Things are way different. You get the same or similar vehicle as a loaner. You dont spent 60k and drive car for 29k. Of course this can happen with any brand but itā€™s important how they take care of you.

OP
OP
dnlsatriani

dnlsatriani

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I find it kind of unlikely the chiller itself is bad as it's just a liquid to liquid evaporator/heat exchanger. I'd find it more likely the valve to allow refrigerant to flow into the chiller would be bad...or the water pump for the battery coolant...or that valve. Just seems odd something like a chiller thats just a static part could be bad.
Thats what the dealer said. The chiller doesnā€™t work. The car was driving fine it only overheats when charging. When i was using DCFC when reached 68%.
Sponsored