roguemustang

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023.5 Grabber Blue GTPE (ordered)
Country flag
I have decided to get a Mach-E for my next car...assuming they don't get too far out of reach financially by the time I get to order one. Currently planning to order this fall so I can drive my old Mustang ('88 GT) for the nice summer weather and not have the huge car payment as well. I picked the MME over the Explorer ST primarily due to the monthly expense being slightly less and the higher performance.

I have a few questions about what I'll be getting into though. I'm hoping that you kind folks would be willing to give me some feedback on these subjects:

1. How much of a killer is winter? I don't mean it being slightly cold out like 20F. I mean like below zero. I'm in ND where I will have weeks that never get above -5F and I have a 60 mile trip to get to work. Luckily, I keep my garage around 45-50F and I will have the ability to plug in while I'm at work. I'm guessing that winter trips out of town will likely be left to the F150, but it would be nice to drive the MME as much as possible.

2. It looks like there are very limited MME options. Currently building one on Ford.com only gives you options for floor mats or not. Is there any list of option packages or trims so I know what to look for? I mean, if it has the 400A package, does that just mean GT or does it mean a set of options? How about finding out what is standard vs optional? I thought things like heated seats were standard on GT's, but I found a thread that mentioned they didn't have them, so maybe not?

3. Along those lines, do they all come with adaptive cruise and lane departure warnings? I drove one with lane departure and it was nice, but not as nice as the lane centering that the Explorer ST had. I don't need the full BlueCruise because I'm in the sticks and would rarely drive on roads that they have mapped for it.

4. Do you notice much change in range when driving in Whisper vs Engaged vs Unbridled? When I was test driving, I pretty much left it in unbridled just because it made a little more noise. I do about 90% highway driving at about 70-75 mph, so I know that will cut into the "optimal" range.

5. Do you notice any issues with the panoramic roof getting cold? I've seen several threads regarding how much heat it allows in, but haven't seen much about the cold.

6. Am I the only one paranoid about rock chips on the panoramic roof? I've gone through about six windshields in my '14 Flex, so I might be a little gun shy. Something about the angle of the windshield on that thing I think.

7. Does anyone regularly drive gravel roads with their MME? How do they handle washboard roads?

8. I read one thread that said that you can't take EV's through the car wash. That sounds like BS to me, since there are a lot of EV's out there at this point and I can't believe everyone is hand washing all of them. Can I just disregard this or is it legit?

9. This one might sound stupid, but what happens if you run out of range? Say, the GOM says you have 50 miles left, do you ever just die after 40 miles because you were driving too fast? Does it have a "limp home" mode or are you stuck on the side of the road? I've heard that Ford is pretty conservative on the GOM to help stupid people like me avoid having that happen, but have any of you had to get a tow just because you didn't quite make it?

10. Life without a spare scares me. What have your experiences been? I would expect Ford's roadside assistance to take hours (or days) to help me on my daily commute. Changing my own tire takes 10-15 minutes. In a metro area, maybe it makes sense, but is it realistic to think that the little air pump can fill the tire enough times to get 50-100 miles?

Ok, I'll stop there. :) I've got tons of questions and I'm really excited about the idea of getting an MME, but I am also a bit apprehensive about EV's in the winter with a longer commute. Sorry for the long post!
Anyway, if some of you would be kind enough to reply to some/all of my questions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your questions are answered throughout the forum, some dozens and dozens of times. Sit down with a beer and do some reading.

1) Answered probably hundreds of times. 20 - 30% drop. Read the Consumer Reports article, you can access it free via your library's website.

2) 4 trims. All are not available to order right now. Each clearly lists features you can get. Google "2023 Mach-E Order Guide" and read through that.

3) Nearly all. Select comes with trial.

4) All modes, including 1 pedal, are the same efficiency.

5) See threads by Mach-Lee discussing this issue of cold.

6) Not only one, but only a few. Get no deductible glass coverage.

7) Only people that want their cars not to look good...

8) Untrue.

9) When the battery is empty, you get towed. You also put on a "I'm a moron hat", assuming you could have avoided it by stopping and charging. You area has few high speed chargers, so you need to plan trips carefully.

10) Air pump doesn't fill tire repeatedly. It has sealant can. If that works, you drive until you get the tire repaired, depending on the damage.

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Just to answer the winter question. You've got a 120 mile round trip. In those extreme temperatures, that's about as far as a trip as you should plan in a MME extended range version away from home in between chargers. My experience is getting about 60% of summer range in those types of temperatures. You probably could push it to 160 miles, but that's from 100 - 0. If you can charge at work regularly, then you've got nothing to worry about.

In the 40s, I get about 240 at 70 mph without setting the cabin temperature higher than 60. (Which is comfortable to me) But that brings up another point... The MME doesn't stay very warm in -5 temperatures. The heated seats and wheel help, but it's not really a fun experience.

You can save a lot of money getting a used '22 with maybe fewer than 5000 miles. There are a lot of people turning them in early because they didn't do the research you are doing...

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
9. This one might sound stupid, but what happens if you run out of range? Say, the GOM says you have 50 miles left, do you ever just die after 40 miles because you were driving too fast? Does it have a "limp home" mode or are you stuck on the side of the road? I've heard that Ford is pretty conservative on the GOM to help stupid people like me avoid having that happen, but have any of you had to get a tow just because you didn't quite make it?
Doesn't work like that, it constantly adjusts. So if GOM shows 100 miles but you crank heat and drive 85mph than it just runs down quicker, so 25miles later it now shows 50 miles left, not 75. It adjusts to always guess at how much range you have left based on how you are driving, so won't go from 50 to empty.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
8. Untrue but some people have had their charge door and emergency frunk open door damaged by the car wash popping it open but that is probably more of a fluke.

No experience but I would have to believe a Mach would be a bit of a bugger on washboard roads as a car with fairly good suspension can have a hard time dealing with it and there are complaints by some of a bouncy ride. I would certainly give it a test drive if possible.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
I want to qualify first that I don’t have mine yet, but I’ve done a ton of research, so I think I can provide some useful information for some of your questions.

1. I am in the Twin Cities, so we get extended periods of extreme cold each winter, too. I have read enough here not to be too concerned. Search through here. There are people who know what they are talking about when it comes to cold weather. The tip about you having less charging infrastructure in ND is a good one, though. You should always plan your trips. Have an L2 charger installed at home if you can. I am next month. Also, I am in a large metro area, so I don’t feel the need to get an extended range battery, but if I lived in NoDak I would definitely get one, just to be on the safe side in long drives. If you can, get AWD, too. You’ll probably need it in heavy snow. Easy for me to spend all your money! 🤣

2. If you can wait about a month to order, the Premium and Select trims will again be available. The Premium might be right for you. I think you can order them starting May 4.

8. The “can’t car wash” thing is ridiculous. You can wash it. My dealer explained the whole thing to me. Plenty about that in this Forum.

10. Somewhere in this Forum is information about quality aftermarket spares (with jack) that you can buy and throw in the back of the car if you absolutely can’t live without one. Just search for it in here. I was thinking about getting one for long road trips when I finally get the car.

I hope I was of some help.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Regarding car wash you simply flip to neutral like other cars. It's only an issue if you are exiting the car and it rolls through unattended. Or if you have auto hold on. In those cases there is an extra step, but most only drive in 1PD mode which you should leave auto hold off so no issue.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I have decided to get a Mach-E for my next car...assuming they don't get too far out of reach financially by the time I get to order one. Currently planning to order this fall so I can drive my old Mustang ('88 GT) for the nice summer weather and not have the huge car payment as well. I picked the MME over the Explorer ST primarily due to the monthly expense being slightly less and the higher performance.

I have a few questions about what I'll be getting into though. I'm hoping that you kind folks would be willing to give me some feedback on these subjects:

1. How much of a killer is winter? I don't mean it being slightly cold out like 20F. I mean like below zero. I'm in ND where I will have weeks that never get above -5F and I have a 60 mile trip to get to work. Luckily, I keep my garage around 45-50F and I will have the ability to plug in while I'm at work. I'm guessing that winter trips out of town will likely be left to the F150, but it would be nice to drive the MME as much as possible.

2. It looks like there are very limited MME options. Currently building one on Ford.com only gives you options for floor mats or not. Is there any list of option packages or trims so I know what to look for? I mean, if it has the 400A package, does that just mean GT or does it mean a set of options? How about finding out what is standard vs optional? I thought things like heated seats were standard on GT's, but I found a thread that mentioned they didn't have them, so maybe not?

3. Along those lines, do they all come with adaptive cruise and lane departure warnings? I drove one with lane departure and it was nice, but not as nice as the lane centering that the Explorer ST had. I don't need the full BlueCruise because I'm in the sticks and would rarely drive on roads that they have mapped for it.

4. Do you notice much change in range when driving in Whisper vs Engaged vs Unbridled? When I was test driving, I pretty much left it in unbridled just because it made a little more noise. I do about 90% highway driving at about 70-75 mph, so I know that will cut into the "optimal" range.

5. Do you notice any issues with the panoramic roof getting cold? I've seen several threads regarding how much heat it allows in, but haven't seen much about the cold.

6. Am I the only one paranoid about rock chips on the panoramic roof? I've gone through about six windshields in my '14 Flex, so I might be a little gun shy. Something about the angle of the windshield on that thing I think.

7. Does anyone regularly drive gravel roads with their MME? How do they handle washboard roads?

8. I read one thread that said that you can't take EV's through the car wash. That sounds like BS to me, since there are a lot of EV's out there at this point and I can't believe everyone is hand washing all of them. Can I just disregard this or is it legit?

10. Life without a spare scares me. What have your experiences been? I would expect Ford's roadside assistance to take hours (or days) to help me on my daily commute. Changing my own tire takes 10-15 minutes. In a metro area, maybe it makes sense, but is it realistic to think that the little air pump can fill the tire enough times to get 50-100 miles?

Ok, I'll stop there. :) I've got tons of questions and I'm really excited about the idea of getting an MME, but I am also a bit apprehensive about EV's in the winter with a longer commute. Sorry for the long post!
Anyway, if some of you would be kind enough to reply to some/all of my questions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dude, you live in North Dakota. On gravel roads. Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy a Mach E.

Your range will drop by at least 50% in wintertime. Take that to the bank. And those gravel roads will absolutely tear up the weak plastic front bumper. The MME’s stiff suspension will drive you nuts on washboard roads.

But on the positive side, the pano roof won’t give you any issues at all. But seriously man, the MME is a city car. Do not buy it for your situation.

You need an honest assessment. Not sunshine pumping.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Dude, you live in North Dakota. On gravel roads. Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy a Mach E.

Your range will drop by at least 50% in wintertime. Take that to the bank. And those gravel roads will absolutely tear up the weak plastic front bumper. The MME’s stiff suspension will drive you nuts on washboard roads.

But on the positive side, the pano roof won’t give you any issues at all. But seriously man, the MME is a city car. Do not buy it for your situation.

Pretty much spot on, but as someone who owns property on a gravel road, the front bumper isn’t really a concern. Unless you’re tailgating somebody. The front bumper might be the only part not degraded by gravel. 😀

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag

OP needs to get an ER Lightning - they provide better ground clearance and have optional mudguards, running boards, larger 35+" tire options, rear motor E Locker, and other protection driving off pavement...

Lightnings are now becoming available more since the original 200K reservation holders have been invited.

My '22 Lightning has been perfect since day 1 - Standard Range gets 260 miles range and still have 50% left each week - but then I drive it in warm sunny So Calif on urban Los Angeles streets.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What to expect? IMG_0063.JPG

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
I was wondering how long it would take for the Negative Neds to make themselves heard. I don’t think there was any “sunshine pumping” in any of the previous answers, just honest answers to your questions. Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
roguemustang

roguemustang

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023.5 Grabber Blue GTPE (ordered)
Country flag
The Lightning is cool, but I already have 2 F150's and I don't want to drive a truck daily, I'll leave that to my wife. Plus, I won't be spending $100k+ on a truck anytime soon. If I had the option, I would just get a newer Mustang GT and be done with it, but that's not realistic either, with the 120 mile daily commute year round. As for avoiding gravel, that is impossible since I have 3+ miles of gravel from my house before I hit pavement.

The gravel road and snow driving capabilities are what lead me to require an SUV rather than something more "fun" to drive. The Explorer ST and Mach-E are the closest things Ford makes to a sporty 4wd that is not waaaaaay too stupidly expensive (I'm looking at you, Raptor).

I was sold on the ST and then actually found a MME to test drive (more as a curiousity than a serious consideration), and found it to be more.....well, real, than I was expecting. I expected to to be an oddity and found it to be pretty cool. Of course, no dealership is going to let you take out a car and run 10 miles down a gravel road to check it out. Heck, when I took out a Bronco, I only got to take it around the block (although that was enough to quell any interest in one of those).

After reading through the forums, it seems that everyone loves their MME and the biggest complaints seemed to revolve around ordering/delivery of the cars. I obviously found lots of posts discussing range in CA, AZ, and other places down south. There are people talking about how much range they lost when it gets cold out (sorry, 30F is not cold, I can't even get my kids to bring a coat with them if it's above zero). There are not many people talking about how their car works when it's below zero (although I did see some folks in Canada so that's promising).

I guess I was just fishing for folks that might use their MME how I would use mine - rural highways, year round, in the snow and gravel. I understand that it's not ideal for it, nothing is.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The Lightning is cool, but I already have 2 F150's and I don't want to drive a truck daily, I'll leave that to my wife. Plus, I won't be spending $100k+ on a truck anytime soon. If I had the option, I would just get a newer Mustang GT and be done with it, but that's not realistic either, with the 120 mile daily commute year round. As for avoiding gravel, that is impossible since I have 3+ miles of gravel from my house before I hit pavement.

The gravel road and snow driving capabilities are what lead me to require an SUV rather than something more "fun" to drive. The Explorer ST and Mach-E are the closest things Ford makes to a sporty 4wd that is not waaaaaay too stupidly expensive (I'm looking at you, Raptor).

I was sold on the ST and then actually found a MME to test drive (more as a curiousity than a serious consideration), and found it to be more.....well, real, than I was expecting. I expected to to be an oddity and found it to be pretty cool. Of course, no dealership is going to let you take out a car and run 10 miles down a gravel road to check it out. Heck, when I took out a Bronco, I only got to take it around the block (although that was enough to quell any interest in one of those).

After reading through the forums, it seems that everyone loves their MME and the biggest complaints seemed to revolve around ordering/delivery of the cars. I obviously found lots of posts discussing range in CA, AZ, and other places down south. There are people talking about how much range they lost when it gets cold out (sorry, 30F is not cold, I can't even get my kids to bring a coat with them if it's above zero). There are not many people talking about how their car works when it's below zero (although I did see some folks in Canada so that's promising).

I guess I was just fishing for folks that might use their MME how I would use mine - rural highways, year round, in the snow and gravel. I understand that it's not ideal for it, nothing is.
I love my MME except for a few reasons which would mostly be exacerbated in your situation: poor wintertime range, stiff suspension. I’m trying to be very honest with you. The MME is a great car, but will entail serious sacrifices in your situation.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
@roguemustang
Please take advice on cold weather performance from people who don’t live as far north as we do with a grain of salt. They seem to think that we never get above 0F year-round! 🤣

You are on the right track looking for comments from Canadians and other northerners who know what real cold is like. As I said earlier, there is loads of information about cold weather and tips to maximize range in this forum. I found it helpful and assuaged any concerns I had about cold weather.

Based on my own research on this site, extended range is probably your best bet to give yourself plenty of buffer to prevent any issues. The only reason I did not order extended range myself is because I am in a major metro area and will not be doing drives like yours. Cost was an issue for me, too. I decided that, for me, ER was not worth it. I think it might be ideal for your situation. If Canadians in the Prairie Provinces drive MMEs, so can you.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
I spent the first 6 months on a lot of dirt and pretty washboard roads for my job. The ’21 job 2 has not suffered from this and is amazingly rattle free (which was my most feared result).
Sponsored