azuano3654

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco, MME
Country flag
I just went in to do the final look over of paperwork/inspection of vehicle before I go back later this afternoon to complete the purchase. I took the MME Performance AWD Standard Range for a quick spin and it showed 100% charge with a range of 183 miles (I believe that's what it showed). I was expecting to see the range >200. It is colder here in SLC but any concern I should have here? What did everyone else see with 100% charge when they first took delivery of the vehicle?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I just went in to do the final look over of paperwork/inspection of vehicle before I go back later this afternoon to complete the purchase. I took the MME Performance AWD Standard Range for a quick spin and it showed 100% charge with a range of 183 miles (I believe that's what it showed). I was expecting to see the range >200. It is colder here in SLC but any concern I should have here? What did everyone else see with 100% charge when they first took delivery of the vehicle?
No issue there. Welcome and here's some recommended reading to get you started:

Real range of the car:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/53-standard-battery-only-85-miles.12166/post-297977

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My First Edition, at the dealer with 100% charge had a range of 119 Miles showing after a driving history reset. It was also 0F outside the day I took delivery, and had been sitting with a week of below freezing temps.

My GT showed 220 Miles at delivery at 100%. That is the highest I've seen so far.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Based on having read the forum a lot before I picked up my car, I ignored the Guess-O-Meter. ?‍♂?

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Dealer pickup on 02/12/21 with 100% and a driving history reset... 240 miles.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Not sure of temps, but @ 100% in South Carolina March, the WAG-o-meter showed an even 200 miles on day 1. Bear in mind that my car had 51 miles on it at delivery (a courtesy card in the glove box indicated that Ford had put 38 miles on the car pre-delivery for quality control purposes) so it should have had no data to build valid estimates yet.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The day I picked it up ER AWD 11/23/21.
575C24AD-4F36-463B-8178-5BDB87CAB00D.jpeg

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The day I picked it up, SR AWD, 5/22/21, Upper 50's low 60's.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What was your Day 1 Full Charge Range? F3AE3CAD-5BE8-4F86-90E7-14AD92BE33D9

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Last Friday I picked up my Premium, SR.
I am here in northeast (temps close to 20-30).
Dealer had charged it overnight to 100%.
Range read 182.
So your sounds about right.
Last few days I have been charging at home on 110V.
The 100% range estimation dropped to 150 or so...

We are ok with it as it's in-city car.
Wife only drives it 5-6 miles RT total.
Overnight charge on 110V adds about 20+ miles.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Oddly enough the exact same topic came up yesterday, and the guy didn't like the answer so he got combative and ended up being banned.

Anyway, the best answer is: the range displayed day 1 or any other day is a pseudo-random and mostly meaningless number between 100 and 400. As the links from @hybrid2bev will explain, the estimated range displayed is not necessarily very accurate - especially in colder weather. The cold weather affects efficiency, and the range estimator (guess-o-meter) generally overcompensates for the cold. Your range will be less than the EPA estimate in the winter, and likely higher than the estimate in warm weather. The causes for the inaccuracy are:
  1. Because the car doesn't know how far, how fast, in what conditions, etc it cannot be exact unless you actually put in a route right then - and even that is an approximation based on modeling. Thus the GOM is intentionally conservative as a "worst case" scenario to prevent people from getting stranded because the GOM said they can go farther than they actually can. It tends to be more conservative for this very reason; Ford has been underpromising and overdelivering on the Mach E. While that confounds newbies, doing a little research results in recognizing the issue and not being alarmed by it. By contrast Tesla overestimates their range on their GOM in all conditions; see plenty of actual "real world" driving tests by insideevs, alexonautos, edmunds, etc.
  2. ICE engines are only 30% to 40% efficient, with the majority of energy being lost as heat. In winter that is an advantage because the heat that would otherwise be wasted is used to heat the cabin. BEV's are by contrast 95% efficient with minimal energy lost as heat. In the winter the car has to use extra energy to heat the cabin. That is why they tell you to use the seat and steering wheel heaters instead of heating the cabin if you can, because there is a lot less to heat up. The chemistry of Li-ion batteries is to blame as well: the liquid electrolyte loses viscosity (and thus potency) as temps drop well below freezing. At 30 to 40 degrees F it is minimal, but once you get down to around zero or below it becomes an issue. The 2 factors (no waste heat and chemistry) combine for some loss (10% to 20%) in range once it gets down to freezing or below. Therefore in really cold (-30 degree) temps like in Alaska the car's actual range does drop by 40% to 50%. In more reasonable climates (20 degree temps) effective range drops by 20% to 30%.
  3. You CAN compensate somewhat by configuring departure times and leaving the car plugged in; this will warm the battery and the cabin using grid power. You can also remote start the car for an impromptu journey, but that doesn't necessarily warm as much as a scheduled departure.
  4. EVERY BEV experiences this issue right now; it is not unique to Ford. That is one of the reasons they are all investing so heavily in solid state batteries: "dry" batteries do not experience the issue with the electrolyte in cold weather.