Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
The question is definitely reasonable. With the stigma around degradation, everyone's mind first goes to "oh crap my battery is already toast!".

the reality is we've got folks now with 100k miles that still have ~90% State of Health of the battery, and that doesn't exactly line up to how much capacity it still has. (usually higher) so your range impact is not actually 10% lower.

Yes, it sucks that our range suffers due to colder temps. But it's good to know it's only temporary and it is in fact temperature related and not an indicator of poor battery health.
Sponsored

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
You are new here, but this is an annual thread tradition once temps drop. It's hard for us to not get triggered. As long as you don't post it again you are forgiven! šŸ¤£

Cooler temps will impact estimated range, just like a hybrid or ice, the car is just more honest about it. If you are going to road trip, set up departure times if you are plugged in. This will get the battery ready and increase estimated range. Also, use the built-in nav for road trips with expected charging stops as it will precondition the battery for charging as you approach. If you prefer another nav app like Waze, just switch to built-in nav about 30 minutes before getting to the charger and set the charger as the destination.

Generally also going to suggest not charging to 100% if you are doing that daily. The battery is happy with at least a little buffer for day to day driving. This advice may be different if you have one of the new lfp (?) packs, but based on your range guessing not.

The GOM is always a guess, it keeps getting smarter, but just remember that it is always an estimate. Better info/perspective from your miles/kilowatt hour efficiency and overall battery %.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
This may be old news, so I apologize if it is. I have noticed my total miles after a full charge has decreased since I bought it. I believe I started around 260-270 miles, but now I am only getting 240miles per full charge. Is that normal. Is anyone else seeing a drop in totaliles after each charge?
Hey Josh,

You and I live in the same county in GA. It's completely normal as the temp cools down, you will lose some range (1/3 to almost 1/2 in dead of winter). Normal function of battery tech. Welcome to the forum; just ignore the grumpier forum members.....But, you will see when it's not directed at you; it can be pretty funny!!!

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
This may be old news, so I apologize if it is. I have noticed my total miles after a full charge has decreased since I bought it. I believe I started around 260-270 miles, but now I am only getting 240miles per full charge. Is that normal. Is anyone else seeing a drop in totaliles after each charge?
Perfectly good question in need of perfectly good answer, when you get one here I will faintšŸ˜‚

My range since new - 29mths & 69,000 miles - has dropped off by a barely noticeable amount at comparable times of year, however the summer/winter difference is between c320 summer and 260 winter on RWD XR.

My 100% was 309 miles until a week ago before the clocks were turned back an hour for daylight saving here last weekend, now at 92% is 248 miles so 100% in the morning will be 270.

So, in answer to your question, time of year/temperatures affects range and age/mileage to a lesser extent, I find.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After 22,000 miles my GOM on full charge indicates about the same range. Of course it will decline as our weather gets colder, currently our Minnesota temps are in the 30's to 50's range . We keep our Mach E in a heated garage, never goes below 55, not sure if that impacts the GOM calculation but last winter, range declined with the ambient temps as expected. Not sure if we are experiencing any battery deterioration yet. With our ridiculous Minnesota weather trying to determine true battery range, vs, deterioration vs driving style is a bit sketchy. I routinely pay attention to the trip calculator and try to make sure my MPKW( Miles per KiloWatt) is at least 3. I find this tool is the best real time indicator of how we are doing.

The conventional wisdom regarding lithium Ion batteries is to limit high recharge rates to prevent overheating. Things one can do to preserve/extend battery life:
  1. Try to limit the high speed DC charging sessions. A high Speed DC charger pushes a lot of current back into the batteries, FAST, and that makes the batteries hot which is not good for battery life, long term.
  2. Set your normal charge rate to a lower level. We have ours set at 85%. Since we got the vehicle. It has only been charged on a high speed DC charger twice and 100% charge rate in the garage maybe 10 to 15 times. I estimate we have had about 150 charging sessions so over 90% of our charging sessions did not reach 100%.

Good Luck.

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
My guess is weather change. But I believe also the car is doing an analysis on your driving habits?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We had a cold snap a few weeks ago (mid 20s) and lost a few miles
In the dead of winter, losing 20% is normal. More sometimes. Judicious use of heater, precondition battery with a departure time makes it less of an issue.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
My 100% was 309 miles until a week ago before the clocks were turned back an hour for daylight saving here last weekend, now at 92% is 248 miles so 100% in the morning will be 270.
I knew it! The switch to winter time killed my range!

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Blazer EV RS (reserved)
Country flag
I knew it! The switch to winter time killed my range!
Just change the clock in your car back to what it used to be and your range will return to normal, easy peasy... documented on page 142 of the owners manual.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Just change the clock in your car back to what it used to be and your range will return to normal, easy peasy... documented on page 142 of the owners manual.
Done it!

Worked a treat.

379 miles in winter, sweet!

Now, just why didnā€™t I think of thatšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Youā€™re a genious!

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
I made this...if it helps...

Definitely would be better if we got the best and worst case range. But Iā€™d be happy just for a better description of what inputs the car is really using , so one can adjust based on the actuals for the next driving segment.
Sponsored