what would it take for you to buy a gasoline car next?

what would it take for you to buy a gasoline car next

• fuel efficiency above 40mpg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maintenance intervals 3 years or more

• 0-60 in under 5 sec

• Total voters

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
What if a new generation of gasoline cars came with high efficiency engine. Something like 40mpg and 20gal tank would allow driving all day on highway and refuel just 2 times a month.
If required maintenance interval becomes 3 years or more, it's not such a chore, you can change tires at the same time as well. And those who buy 3 year leases wouldn't need to do any maintenance altogether.
EVs have great acceleration, but frankly, most people don't need or want anything faster than 5 sec 0-60.
So would you think of going back to a gas car if those specs were achieved?
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have an Expedition and a Mach. I will replace my Expedition with an ICE vehicle and Mach with another EV. So it just comes down to which I replace first. I will get a smaller ICE though because by then my grandkids will mostly be adults and I will not be hauling 5 of them around.

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
I am so hooked on EV that I have not rented a car since my accident a month ago (to my husband’s dismay). Renting a M3 would cost about 2k per month and I probably would not get all that back from “distracted’s” insurance company. This afternoon I might be purchasing another 2021 MME while I wait for Silver Pony to either be repaired or totaled.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I'm in a rental explorer for family vacation and I hate it with a passion. The transmission lurching and lag, inconsistent power delivery, weak torque, downshifting and upshifting constantly. It's just....awful.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
We have a goose neck horse trailer and use an F150 to pull it. That's the only reason we have a gas truck at this time. Our situation may change in the next 3-5 years. If we didn't need that there's no reason to buy another.

If/when we get to a point where we can live with 1 car it will be an EV and likely a higher end model.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I might buy an old 2 seat sports car as a toy (Boxter, Caymen etc.)... but as a daily... I don't expect to go back to ICE.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
I second the toy car motion!

The only ICE cars that I'm interested in are strictly for fun such as:

• Under 2900 lbs, RWD, 6 speed manual, phenomenal handling (BRZ, 718 GTS)
  • BIG loud V8, 6 speed manual, wide sticky tires with a dialed in suspension (Dark Horse)

nrevezzo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Rapid Red SR RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My first priority has become a dealership/company that has better customer service. One that gives me a loaner when they need to keep my car for several days/weeks. I think I deserve that when spending 50-60,000 for a product. If that means driving an ICE vehicle then that's what it will be. Right now BMW and Lincoln are my leading candidates when my MME lease ends in February.

Reactions: TRP

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
If my personal or work life changed in a way that required me to regularly drive cross-country through one of the various dead zones for reliable fast charging in my part of the country, I would strongly consider a gas car again. Right now, this isn't a concern and I'm very happy with the Mach-E, notwithstanding the issues that I and others raise in this forum.

I am hopeful that the dead zones will soon be served, but hope isn't evidence.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
We still have our 2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid as a second, drive it once a week or every two weeks, car. Wow, driving an ICE is now really hard. No acceleration and it still keeps going when you let off the gas. Love one pedal driving and regenerative braking. If I bought another car (keeping my MME but donating the MKZ), it would be 5 plus years from now. The EV's will have advanced and the range will have increased, so two EV's in the garage. I also assume that the charging network will have increased the number of locations, charging speeds, etc. However, it all goes bad and we now have coal burning cars, then I will think about a hybrid. ;)

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I love Mach-E, except for the range especially in cold weather, and as a result wasting too much time charging, and searching for free charger when you need one.
The problem with ICE cars is the efficiency and service, if those were solved I wouldn't mind driving a gasoline car. Perhaps research in gasoline fuel cells will be successful and we'll have the best of both worlds.
Sponsored