First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
Hi all! First post so go easy please :)

I've been doing my Mach E research for a while and I'm on the verge of placing an order for a RWD XR model. However, I'd like to swap out the factory fitted 18" wheels for the 19" set. I asked the Ford order team but they said I'd have to place a standard car order from their website and then sort out the different wheels with my chosen dealer for aftermarket fitting.

So this leaves me with a couple of questions that hopefully an expert on here can answer!

Is there any benefit to a dealer of me selecting them for my car order? So, am I likely to be in a position to bargain for the new wheels because they want my business, or does it make no difference to them at all?

What do I do with the surplus set of 18" wheels and tyres? Any ideas if a dealer would buy these off me, or where could I sell them? I realise I can just whack them on ebay but I'm wondering if there's a clever option I've not considered.

Cheers!
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag

I've been doing my Mach E research for a while and I'm on the verge of placing an order for a RWD XR model. However, I'd like to swap out the factory fitted 18" wheels for the 19" set. I asked the Ford order team but they said I'd have to place a standard car order from their website and then sort out the different wheels with my chosen dealer for aftermarket fitting.

So this leaves me with a couple of questions that hopefully an expert on here can answer!

Is there any benefit to a dealer of me selecting them for my car order? So, am I likely to be in a position to bargain for the new wheels because they want my business, or does it make no difference to them at all?

What do I do with the surplus set of 18" wheels and tyres? Any ideas if a dealer would buy these off me, or where could I sell them? I realise I can just whack them on ebay but I'm wondering if there's a clever option I've not considered.

Cheers!
I'm no 'expert' but here goes. If you want the 19" wheels why not go for the AWD. I think I can guess the answer to that.
I very much doubt you will get 'a deal' from your dealer. They aren't making much from selling the MME anyway so selling the dealer fit options is the only way to increase their profits from the car. I very much doubt they would buy them off you. Unless they are compatible with other cars you would have difficulty in selling them on ebay. Unless you/dealer can find someone who has an AWD car and wants 18"wheels that is. The other thing to consider is that by putting on bigger wheels you will be impacting on the range. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
MJQX

MJQX

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
Super helpful - Thanks so much for responding.

With the points you're raising it makes it a little more difficult to justify the 19s on the RWD.

You're right, AWD would solve this, it's just whether I can do without the extra 100 miles range!

Cheers

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag

With the points you're raising it makes it a little more difficult to justify the 19s on the RWD.

You're right, AWD would solve this, it's just whether I can do without the extra 100 miles range!

Cheers
You will also not be entitled to the government ev grant due to the additional cost of the AWD ER. The wheel option would not impact your eligibility.
The wheels are listed as an option like any other as Grahame says there is zero chance of doing a deal. Where do you live in the uk - fit winter tyres to the 18inch and get a fitter to store them or store yourself.

OP
OP
MJQX

MJQX

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd stretch to the AWD ER for the extra ÂŁ10k, which is why I thought about putting the 19s on the RWD ER. If I went to the AWD SR then I just realised that I'd get the 19s but then miss out on the panoramic roof, B&O system, and a few other things that I'd prefer.

I'm in Hertfordshire. Not sure how beneficial it is to have a spare set of winter tyres, but it's still a decent idea as at least I'd be making efficient use of them. I might look into that, ta!

JStepha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
I’m in the same boat at the moment. Wheels currently have 25% off, but they are out of stock. Might be able to get the dealer to honour that price, but would still need tyres. Frustrating it’s not just an upgrade option as there is only £30 difference between the 18” and 19” on the accessories store.
I care more about the unpainted wheel arches and bumpers, but hoping in person they look better.

https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/mu...el-19-5-x-2-spoke-design-liquid-ebony-09-2020

jongodfrey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Push Bike
Occupation
IT bloke
Country flag
Blimey - wheels and tyres are a bag of worms!!

As background I have a spare set of winter tyres on some quite nice rims which are left over from my wife's Freelander 2, now sold. I am hoping they might fit the Mach-e. They both share the 5/108 d63.4 bolt pattern and I think the Freelander was largely a Ford car from the days when LR was Ford owned.... Focus based I think...

Mustang Mach-E 18” 225/60 R18 100V SUMMER BSW.

so I calculate:

18” - 45.72cm + 225*60% =13.5cm 45.72+27=72.72cm total diameter

my wheels are 19" 255/50 R19 107v so....

19” - 48.26cm +255*50% = 25.5 = 73.76cm

the Offset for LR is 55 but how can I tell from my Rims what they are? Any symbols or marks?

I'm thinking they should fit but offset will be an unknown. :-/

Update: so MME offset is 47.5mm I think my wheels are actually 40mm based on some markings on the back... might get away with that.

Last edited:

Guybrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME RWD ER, Kawasaki ER6N, '15 e-Golf
Country flag

Cheers!
Im going to be putting 245/40/21" on for summer tiers! Keeping the 18" for winter.

I know it will affect range in some way. I have some friends who run a tire-shop and one of them had 20" on his I-Pace for winter. He told me he had about a 4% decrese in range.

So if i make sure the 21" are about the same weight as the 18" and not fall into temtation ad go for wide rubber, it should be well within accepable paramters.

davkd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver ER RWD
Country flag

Cheers
Welcome to the forum.

I have the RWD ER and the extra range is a huge bonus. The Mach E range in general is excellent but the ER does take away any range anxiety.

I would order the car and see what you think when it arrives.

I was not 100% sold on the 18” wheels but a lot of how they look depends on the colour ordered.

When I went to collect mine I fell in love with the wheels and think they look superb (I have Iconic Silver).

I would not swap them now. Glad I didn’t go to the extra expense or compromise on mileage.

Dear1nc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Country flag
Im going to be putting 245/40/21" on for summer tiers! Keeping the 18" for winter.

I know it will affect range in some way. I have some friends who run a tire-shop and one of them had 20" on his I-Pace for winter. He told me he had about a 4% decrese in range.

So if i make sure the 21" are about the same weight as the 18" and not fall into temtation ad go for wide rubber, it should be well within accepable paramters.
I'm putting 21's on mine too. Savini sv-f5's are lighter than the factory wheels and look awesome!

Guybrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME RWD ER, Kawasaki ER6N, '15 e-Golf
Country flag
I'm putting 21's on mine too. Savini sv-f5's are lighter than the factory wheels and look awesome!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wheel swap - UK 20210526_142235

Lost a total of 30km in range. Could be my driving tho, who knows?

kaslerp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e RWD WHITE
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd stretch to the AWD ER for the extra ÂŁ10k, which is why I thought about putting the 19s on the RWD ER. If I went to the AWD SR then I just realised that I'd get the 19s but then miss out on the panoramic roof, B&O system, and a few other things that I'd prefer.

I'm in Hertfordshire. Not sure how beneficial it is to have a spare set of winter tyres, but it's still a decent idea as at least I'd be making efficient use of them. I might look into that, ta!
I bought a standard RWD as the extra 10K seemed ridiculous. HOWEVER, the one thing that is crazily missing is the side mirrors do not have a push-button retract!!! If you go through a high width restriction you will have to do this manually. CRAZY omission.
Sponsored